Sunday 3 October 2021

Interview with Cocoarts

Hello everyone! New month is here and we have another interview! This time, please welcome Aurora, also known as CocoaDiamond, a faceup artist based in Spain. As always, the interview is in both English and Spanish, and all the photos were used with permission. Onto the questions!


Hello! It’s an honour to do this interview!
Hello, Musume, nice meeting you! I’m Aurora, a small Spanish artist known as Cocoa or CocoaDiamond (each person calls me in a different way).
¡Hola! ¡Es un honor hacer esta entrevista contigo!
¡¡Hola Musume, encantada de conocerte!! Soy Aurora, una pequeña artista española a la que se le conoce por internet como Cocoa o Cocoa Diamond (cada persona me llama de una forma diferente).



Let’s start with a classic question: how did you discovered BJDs?
The truth is that it was through YouTube, when I was 15 years old. My start was a bit rugged, because I barely had any information regarding BJDs. It took me quite a while to purchase my first doll, and when I got it, I was very disappointed because she was very different to the promo photos of the website. Because of this, and other reasons, I left the hobby for about 3 years, and when I came back I started with customisation and I fell in love with dolls in general.
Empecemos con una pregunta clásica: ¿cómo conociste las BJDs?
Pues la verdad es que fue a través de Youtube, cuando tenía tan solo 15 años. Mis inicios fueron algo tormentosos debido a que apenas tenía información del mundo de las BJD. Tardé bastante en poder comprar mi primera muñeca y cuando la recibí me quedé bastante decepcionada ya que era muy diferente a las fotos de promoción que tenía la web. Por esto y por otras razones dejé el hobby durante casi 3 años, al volver empecé con todo el mundo de la customización y me volví a enamorar de las muñecas en general.



How did you start with faceups? And with commissions?
I started with customisations because I didn’t have much money, and I wanted to have my own customised dolls because I thought the default ones were too basic. I started with commissions very at the beginning. I wasn’t fully acquainted with the materials and it was very difficult to adjust myself to the delivery times while I wrestled with learning. In any case, step by step and thanks to the pressure I felt from my clients, I improved my skills and became the faceup artist I am right now!
Entonces, ¿Cómo comenzaste a hacer maquillajes? ¿Y a tomar comisiones?
Empecé con el mundo de la customización debido a que no tenía mucho dinero en ese momento, quería tener mis propias muñecas custom ya que los maquillajes default me parecían muy básicos. Inicie con los encargos muy al principio de empezar a maquillar, aún no estaba completamente familiarizada con los materiales y fue bastante complicado ceñirme a los tiempos de entrega mientras batallaba en el aprendizaje. Igualmente poco a poco, y gracias a la presión que sentía por parte de mis clientes, mejoré mis habilidades y me convertí en la maquilladora que soy en estos momentos.



You also work with Barbies and Pullips, beside BJDs. Which one do you like to work the most and why?
Yes, I have never put barriers with regards to working with different types of dolls. For example, Barbies allow me to create a face from scratch, being able to define from eyes and even to the hairline. Without a doubt, Barbies bring your most creative side to shine. However, Pullips and BJDs are a bit more limiting, given their features are quite a lot more defined. But because they have a larger size, you can make more clean and elaborated works. I think the dolls I enjoy the most are BJD on the MSD size. I’m crazy about them!
También trabajas con Barbies y Pullips, además de BJDs. ¿En cuál te gusta más trabajar, y porqué?
Sí, nunca me he puesto barreras a la hora de trabajar con los diferentes tipos de muñecas. Por ejemplo las barbies me permiten crear un rostro prácticamente desde cero, pudiendo definir desde los ojos hasta la línea de nacimiento del cabello, diría sin duda que las barbies sacan tu lado más creativo. En cambio las pullips y Bjds son algo más limitantes puesto que sus facciones están mucho más definidas, pero al tener un tamaño superior te permiten realizar trabajos más limpios y elaborados. Creo que el tipo de muñecas que más disfruto maquillando son las Bjd tamaño MSD ¡¡Me vuelven loca!!



From all the works you have done, do you have any personal favourite? And a most popular amongst your followers?
Without a doubt, I’d say my personal favourite is the first fantasy faceup I did. I don’t know how many hours I invested in finishing that faceup. It doesn’t look as intricate at a first glance, but the symmetry between both sides was a challenge. The most popular faceup I done was from my first stage as faceup artist in 2018. The concept was inspired in one a facechart by Sery Milk. Up to this day, I do not think it represents me, but I’m really happy that people liked it.
De los trabajos que has hecho, ¿tienes algún favorito personal? ¿Y alguno más popular entre tus seguidores?
Sin duda diría que mi trabajo favorito fue el primer maquillaje fantasía que realice. No sé ni las horas que invertí en terminar el maquillaje. En sí a primera vista no parece tan complicado, pero conseguir la simetría en los dos lados del rostro fue todo un reto. El maquillaje más popular que hice fue de mi primera etapa como maquilladora, en el 2018. El concepto estaba inspirado en uno de los facechart de Sery Milk. A día de hoy no siento que me represente, pero de todos modos me alegra que a la gente le haya gustado.



Finally, is there anything else you may want to share with us?
I’m quite picky with my working materials, and above all I prefer them to last and do not wash away with water. After several years doing faceups, I prefer acrylics. They are fundamental for my creations, and I use them for the acrylic bases, and to trace the finest details. Generally, my faceups are composed of acrylic pain, soft pastels, and PeralEx glitters/dust. Since I started I was involved with faceups and I have always wanted to do my own doll. And I finally started! In October I will be uploading photos of Lora. At the start I will only sell the head, and she’ll be compatible with a Minifee body.
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que quieras compartir con nosotros?
Soy bastante selecta con mis materiales de trabajo, ante todo prefiero que duren mucho en el tiempo y no se desprenda con el contacto del agua. Después de llevar varios años maquillando me decanto por los acrílicos, son indispensables en mis creaciones, los uso tanto para dar las bases de aerógrafo como para trazar los detalles más finos. Generalmente mis maquillajes se componen de pintura acrílica, pasteles en barra y polvos Peral Ex. Desde que empecé he estado liada con los maquillajes y siempre he querido hacer mi propia muñeca ¡por fin la he empezado! En el mes de Octubre subiré fotos de Lora, en principio voy a vender únicamente la cabeza y será compatible con el cuerpo de minifee.


Thank you so much for doing the interview! It was a pleasure!
Musume, thank you so much for giving me this space for people to know me a bit more! Thank you to everyone, and don’t stop chasing your dreams.
¡Muchísimas gracias por hacer la entrevista! ¡Un gusto!
Musume muchas gracias por concederme este espacio para que la gente me conozca un poco más. Un saludo a todos y recordad, no dejéis de perseguir vuestros sueños.




And this is all for today! If you want to find Cocoarts, you can find her in Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/_cocoarts_/. Also, please feel free to share the link to this interview, but do not repost it!. If you want to translate this to another language, let me know first.

4 comments :

  1. An amazing interview, Musume and I did not know about her. She does amazing work with the face ups! And she has a point, Barbies and similar dolls give a free plate to use as you wish. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She does some great work, indeed!
      I'm glad you liked the interview :D

      Delete
  2. Thank you for doing this interesting interview. Didn't know about her either. The acrylics really make for very strong coloring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you liked it! I know! I loved the WoW-inspired theme!

      Delete