Sunday 4 December 2022

Interview with Nico Dolls

Hello everyone! This is the last interview of 2022, and it is incredible the year went by. Please wellcome Nicoleta, also known as Nico_Dolls, a wig maker currently based in the UK. She makes some stunningly detailed wigs, and I sincerely hope you'll enjoy the interview. As always, you can read in both English and Spanish, and all photos were used with permission.

Hi there! Thank you for accepting the interview! Can you introduce yourself?
Hello everyone, my name is Nicoleta Teodorescu known as @nico_dolls in this beautiful hobby. I was born in 1980, I’m from Romania but now I live in UK since 2015. I am proud mother of 15 years boy, two cats and many dollies. I am a wig maker but I also do faceups and creating outfits for my own use.
¡Hola! ¡Gracias por aceptar la entrevista! ¿Te presentarías a los lectores?
Hola a todos, mi nombre es Nicoleta Teodorescu, y me conocen como @nico_dolls en el hobby. Nací en 1980, soy de Romania pero ahora vivo en el Reino Unido desde 2015. Soy una orgullosa madre de un niño de 15 años, dos gatos, y muchas muñecas. Hago pelucas, pero también maquillajes, y coso ropa para mis muñecas.



How did you find out about BJDs? Did you started collecting right away?
In 2016 a sad event happened in my life, my darling mother passed away suddenly. After a short period I remember one day, two words pop in my head “beautiful dolls”. These two words revealed amazing dolls, never seen by me till then. I was very impressed by their entire look. After many research and reading , I bought my first BJD, was and I still have her, FairyLand Minifee Eva.
¿Cómo conociste las BJDs? ¿Comenzaste a colectarlas de inmediato?
A mi pesar, mi madre falleció repentinamente en 2016. Luego de un corto período, recuerdo que un día dos palabras aparecieron en mi cabeza: “muñecas bonitas”. Esas dos palabras revelaron increíbles muñecas que nunca había visto hasta entonces. Quedé muy impresionada por toda su apariencia. Luego de investigar y leer bastante, compré mi primera muñeca, la cual aún tengo. Una Fairyland Minifee Eva.


Why (and how) did you decide to work create wigs?
I wished for my dolls long and thick hair, that dream hair where you can do different styles and having which color you want. My first alpaca wig was made in 2018. Making wigs was not a priority for me all I wanted was to customise my dolls creating clothes sewing and crocheting, making eyes and doing faceups. I did all of that, never thinking what would happen in 2020. By then, a very talented seamstress in our hobby fell in love of one of my wigs, encouraged me to start create for sale being also my first person who asked for commission. My very first commissioned wig was very complex at that time and made me realise I love challenges and now I’m very excited by each request I have.
¿Cuándo y cómo decidiste comenzar con las pelucas?
Quería que mis muñecas tuvieran Cabello largo y grueso, ese cabello ideal con el cual podés hacer diferentes estilos y tener el color que quieras. Hice mi primera peluca de alpaca en 2018. Hacer pelucas no era mi prioridad, y solo quería personalizar mis muñecas al coser, tejer, hacerles ojos y maquillarlas. Hice todo, sin esperarme lo que pasó en 2020. En ese entonces, una costurera muy talentosa dentro del hobby se enamoró de una de mis pelucas, y me animó a que las creara para vender… y también me encargó mi primera comisión. Fue bastante compleja en ese momento, y me hizo darme cuenta que adoro los desafíos. Ahora, siempre estoy muy entusiasmada con cada encargo que recibo.



Do you have any favourite materials? And a workspace to share with us?
I tried synthetic hair and yarn, none of these was for what I wanted. I used to make hard caps but felt so rough for dolls. Now I make soft caps from liquid latex and using my favourite fibre, alpaca. I love working with alpaca fiber, even is very soft and can’t keep curls forever I just love the natural texture and the look that gave to a doll. My workplace is a small room where I keep most of my supplies for wigs, faceups, outfits and some of my dolls.
¿Tienes materiales favoritos? ¿Y un espacio de trabajo para compartir con nosotros?
He probado con Cabello sintético y lana, pero no ofrecían lo que buscaba. Solía hacer marcos duros, pero eso se sentía un tanto rígido para las muñecas. Ahora, hago bases suaves de latex líquido, y uso mi fibra favorita que es la alpaca. Me encanta trabajar con alpaca porque es muy suave y no mantiene los rulos de forma permanente. Simplemente adoro la textura natural y la apariencia que le da a las muñecas. Mi espacio de trabajo es una pequeña habitación donde tengo todos los materiales para pelucas, maquillajes, ropa, y algunas de mis muñecas.



Do you have a personal collection of dolls? Which one is your preferred BJD brand?
I do have about 40 dolls or more, mostly FairyLand dolls, besides FairyLand I have Lillycat , Mysticdoll, Bimong. My favourite brand is FairyLand. I found them perfect for me, their aesthetic is so beautiful, versatile and always inspired me in my work.
¿Tienes una colección personal de muñecas? ¿Cuál es tu marca favorita?
Tengo cerca de 40 muñecas, principalmente Fairyland. Aparte de eso, tengo Lillycat, Mysticdoll, Bimong. Mi marca favorita es Fairyland. Creo que son perfectas para mí, con una estética siempre tan bonita y versátil, que me inspira mucho en mi trabajo.


You have done some very intricate braiding! What challenges did you had? Do you offer such advanced work for commissions?
Oh yes, I was challenging myself. To achieve where I am now I’ve been working a lot, sleepless nights with many ideas running through my head, materials wasted, sadness when something didn’t turned like I wished. But all these made me now more confident in me not being afraid of trying and using my ideas. In commissions I do accept any kind of style as long as I consider it is possible to be made and comfortable with request.
¡Has hecho varias trenzas muy complicadas! ¿Qué desafíos tuviste? ¿Ofreces ese trabajo tan avanzado en los encargos?
Oh sí, me estaba desafiando a mí misma. Para alcanzar el lugar donde estoy ahora, he estado trabajando muchas noches sin dormir, con ideas corriendo por mi cabeza, desperdiciando materiales, y terminando triste cuando algo no se veía como yo quería. Pero todos esos fallos me han dado la confianza que necesitaba, y ahora no le tengo miedo a intentar todas mis ideas. En las comisiones acepto cualquier tipo de estilo si es que considero que es possible hacerlo, y que voy a estar cómoda con el pedido.



Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
I am very happy making part of this hobby. Helped me so much with depression when my mother passed away and gave me opportunity to meet so many amazing and talented people from around the world and making me understand and respect the hard work of any artist. I am thankful and grateful to my friends who were there for me from the beginning, to everyone who support my passion and love my beautiful dollies.
Finalmente, ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Estoy muy contenta con ser parte del hobby. Me ha ayudado mucho con la depresión, sobre todo cuando falleció mi madre. Me dio la oportunidad de conocer a tanta gente talentosa de todo elm undo, haciéndome entender y respetar el trabajo de los artistas. Estoy agradecida a mis amigos que estuvieron conmigo desde el principio, a todos los que apoyaron mi pasión, y que les gusta mis muñecas.


Thank you very much for doing the interview! It’s been a pleasure :D
Was a pleasure to make this interview. Thank you Musume for this opportunity. Sending many hugs to everyone and please continue to love and enjoy this beautiful hobby.
¡Gracias por aceptar la entrevista! Ha sido un placer :D
Fue un placer hacer esta entrevista. Gracias Musume por la oportunidad. Les mando muchos abrazos a todos, y que sigan adorando y disfrutando del hobby.




I told you her wigs were downright amazing! And if you are just as stunned as I am, you can find Nicoletta on Instagram, as @nico_dolls. As always, feel free to share the link to the interview, but do not repost it.

And with this interview, it ends another year of interviews--the 10th year! Who would've thought I would last a decade doing monthly interviews! Anyways, cheer on! Holiday season is fast approaching :)

4 comments :

  1. Congrats on the decade of interviewing!. I hope you will have a lovely holiday. Thanks for the interview, her braids are really amazing. They are beautiful enough to showcase them even without any doll wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm glad you liked the interview, I agree--the braids are amazing! That rapunzel-styled braid is amazing.

      Delete
  2. Another amazing interview, thank you for sharing! Her wigs are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! The braids are otherwordly!

      Delete