Thursday 1 May 2014

Interview with Sparrow

Hello :D! Today we have a new interview to start the month, and I had the honor to interview Shannon aka Sparrow, renowned by her work making custom parts for dolls, such as horns, antlers, animal ears and more. I need to say a big thank you to her, because working to do this interview was a real pleasure!

This interview is English/Spanish as always, and all the pics are used with Sparrow's permission, and belongs to her. Hope you like this!


Hello, Sparrow, thank you so much for doing this interview!
Thanks so much for including me. I’m honored to be interviewed alongside many of my dolly heros. ^u^
¡Hola, Sparrow, muchas gracias por aceptar la entrevista!
Muchas gracias por incluirme. Estoy honorada de ser entrevistada junto con muchos de mis héroes de BJDs ^u^

Sparrow's selfie :3


The first question is always the classic one: how did you met BJDs and start collecting?
It was an instant love. A friend of mine who is a photographer and digital artist introduced me to bjds. The idea of using dolls as photographic subjects really moved me. It was the photographs I came to love first, but it wasn’t long before I purchased my first doll and I fell deeply in love with them. BJDs are an art of their own, one that I never knew existed.
Customization was my next true passion. This was and remains my favorite part of the hobby. The characters that you could create and bring to life. Each doll can be it’s own 100% original creation. They can often spin off into novels, paintings, video games, photography and so on. To me these little pieces of plastic and string have limitless potential. They are what you make them. With my fantasy parts I’m able to bring others’ ideas to life. Doing so is always intriguing and satisfying.
La primera pregunta siempre es la clásica: ¿cómo conociste a las BJD y comenzaste a colectar?
Fue amor a primera vista. Una amiga mía que es fotógrafa y artista digital me introdujo a las BJDs. La idea de usar muñecas como objetivo de las fotografías realmente me atrajo. Fueron las fotografías lo primero que me gustó, pero no pasó mucho hasta que compré mi primera muñeca y me enamoré de ella. Las BJD son un arte en sí mismo, uno que no sabía que existía.
La personalización fue mi siguiente y verdadera pasión. Esto fue y sigue siendo mi parte favorita del hobby. Los personajes que creas y traes a la vida. Cada muñeca puede ser una creación 100% personal. A menudo pueden girar en novelas, pinturas, video juegos, fotografía y mucho más. Para mí, estos pequeños pedazos de plástico y cuerda tienen un potencial sin límite. Ellos son lo que tú los haces. Con mis partes de fantasía soy capaz de traer las ideas de otros a la realidad. Hacer eso es siempre interesante y satisfactorio.


You are known because of the gorgeous special parts -horns, antlers, and more- you do for your Etsy shop. How did you started on this?
When I received my first BJD, a Fairyland Pukifee Ante, I was so enthralled with the design of the doll. I noticed embedded magnets for tails, wings, horns, etc. but little to nothing available on the market for these parts and absolutely no custom parts. Even the company that makes these dolls didn’t provide much of anything. I thought it was weird and kind of sad. It seemed like such missing piece to the doll community. And so on a whim I thought to experiment making my own.
Eres conocida debido a todas las partes especiales -cuernos, cornamentas y más- que haces para tu tienda de Etsy. ¿Cómo comenzaste en esto?
Cuando recibí mi primera BJD, una Fairyland Pukifee Ante, estaba encantada con el diseño de la muñeca. Incluso me di cuenta de los imanes para colas, alas y cuernos, pero había poco o nada disponible en el mercado para esta partes, y nada personalizado. Incluso la compañía que hace estas muñecas no proveía mucho. Creí que era raro y un poco triste. Parecía como una pieza faltante en la comunidad de muñecas. Y así, pensé en experimentar haciendo partes propias.


At the time when I started on this journey I was very ill. I have an immune disease that often affects my life. I had a major surgery about five years ago that gave me a few years of remission but at this time I had fallen very ill. I had lost my job and had to drop out of college because of my illness. It was a difficult time. But it was because of this was able to start my shop and develop my craft. Soon I was making decent earrings from my etsy shop, more than my previous job, and found that I could work around my schedule, whenever I was well.
I was so pleased with pleased with my little shop that I wanted to be sure to protect it. I studied art law in college and quickly sent away for patents and copyrights for my work. Most of the tools I use are my own creations also. They’re made specifically for my processes. I made sure to patent those as well, hehe xD
En el momento en que comencé este viaje, estaba muy enferma. Tengo una enfermedad inmunológica que a menudo afecta mi vida. Tuve una importante cirugía cinco años atrás que me dió unos años de remisión, pero en ese momento estaba muy enferma. Había perdido mi trabajo y tuve que dejar la universidad debido a mi enfermedad. Era un momento difícil. Pero fue gracias a esto que fuí capaz de comenzar mi tienda y desarrollar mis habilidades. Muy pronto estaba haciendo lindas ganancias de mi tienda de Etsy, más que con mi anterior trabajo, y descubrí que podía organizar mis horarios siempre que estuviera bien.
Estaba tan encantada con mi pequeña tienda que quería asegurarme de protegerla. Estudié leyes y derecho del arte en la universidad, y rápido envié pedidos por patentes y derechos de mi trabajo. La mayoría de las herramientas que uso son mis propias creaciones. Están específicamente hechas para mis procesos. Me aseguré también de patentar esas, hehe xD


I’m doing much better these days but I’m still only able to devote 4-6 hours a day on average to my shop. For every business day, I make about one order. Because of this I mostly do commissioned pieces, which personally I like better. I’m able to ‘meet’ the client and develop a plan that suits that particular doll. Estoy mucho mejor en estos días, pero sólo soy capaz de trabajar unas 4-6 horas promedio por día en mi tienda. Por cada día de trabajo, hago poco más de una pieza. Debido a esto, mayormente hago encargos, que es lo que más me gusta. Soy capaz de ‘conocer’ al cliente y desarrollar un plan que le sirva a cierta muñeca.



Do you have any special workshop? Want to share a picture with us?
I’m ashamed to admit that my first pieces were all created at my kitchen table. Thankfully I’ve since moved and now have several different work spaces in my new home. My main studio space is an upstairs bedroom. It is still a work in process but it does have lots of space for all my supplies and display areas for my muses. Not to mention a beautiful view. My art space is my space, it’s my favorite place to be. I also have a work bench, an area for my bushings, a tiny spot for photos, and an another area for drawing, painting, and faceups. My husband and I love to create and so we’ve converted any empty space in our home into a work area. <3
¿Tienes algún lugar de trabajo especial? ¿Te gustaría compartir imágenes con nosotros?
Estoy avergonzada de admitir que todas mis primeras piezas fueron creadas en la mesa de mi cocina. Agradecidamente, me he mudado desde entonces y ahora tengo varios espacios de trabajo en mi nueva casa. Mi estudio principal es un dormitorio subiendo las escaleras. Aún es un trabajo en proceso pero tiene mucho espacio para todos mis materiales y áreas para mostrar a mis musas. Sin mencionar una vista muy bonita. Mi espacio de arte es mi espacio, mi lugar favorito para estar. También tengo una mesa de trabajo, un área para el bushing, un pequeño lugar para fotos, y otra área para dibujar, pintar y maquillar. Mi esposo y yo amamos crear así que hemos convertido cada espacio libre de nuestra casa, en un área de trabajo.



Regarding your awesome work, do you have any “most-popular”? And a personal favourite?
I have so many favorites I can’t mention them all but in general my favorite pieces are usually the last piece I’ve made. It may sound cliche but I work hard to improve each and every part I make and so I’m always most satisfied with my newest work. I think it’s easy to tell how much I’ve improved over the years. My style has changed a little by little and I feel my new pieces are more polished and professional.
Respecto a tu increíble trabajo ¿tienes alguno que haya sido “el más popular”? ¿Y algún favorito personal?
Tengo tantos favoritos que no puedo mencionarlos a todos, pero en general, las favoritas son las últimas que he hecho. Puede sonar cliché, pero trabajo muy duro para mejorar todas y cada una de las partes que hago, así que siempre estoy más satisfecha con mi trabajo más reciente. Creo que es fácil decir cuánto he mejorado con los años. Mi estilo ha ido cambiando poco a poco y siento que mis nuevas piezas están más pulidas y son más profesionales.


My most popular items are usually the ten point antlers, in my style. My favorite to make are always unicorn horns. Horns in general are fun to make. I also really love to make new items. I’ve yet to turn down an idea. I take them as challenges. It’s always interesting to try to solve the puzzle. Los items más populares son las cornamentas de diez puntos, en mi estilo. Mis favoritos siempre son los cuernos de unicornios. Los cuernos en general son muy divertidos de hacer. También adoro hacer nuevos items. Aún no he dicho que no a alguna idea. Los tomo como desafíos. Siempre es interesante intentar resolver un rompecabezas.



Regarding BJDs, what is your favorite artist/company, and why?
My current favorite company is the very popular Fairyland. I adore their molds but more than anything, I am captivated by the beauty and and engineering of their bodies. The style of their dolls is often whimsical and cute. I love lots of other companies and artist work but for overall marks I have to give props, and all my money x3, to Fairyland.
Respecto a las BJD, ¿cuál es tu artista/compañía favorita, y por qué?
Mi favorito actual es la muy popular Fairyland. Adoro sus moldes pero más que nada estoy cautivada por la belleza y la ingeniería de sus cuerpos. El estilo de sus muñecas es a menudo fantástico y adorable. Me gustan muchas otras compañías y artistas pero por sobre todas las cosas, debo darle todo mi dinero x3 a Fairyland.


And in your personal doll collection, who is your favorite, and why?
It depends on the day but right now I’m loving my most recent girl, a fairyland minifee Luka. I see a lot of myself in her. I also adore my pukifee girls. They usually get all my attention, the little scamps.
Y en tu colección personal ¿quién es tu favorito y por qué?
Depende del día, pero ahora mismo estoy encariñada con mi chica más reciente, una Fairyland Minifee Luka. Veo mucho de mi en ella. También adoro a mis Pukifees. Ellos usualmente toman toda mi atención, los pequeñas pícaras.



Finally, anything else you want to share with us?
I want to thank all my wonderful supporters. Being able to create is my favorite part of what I do, but a close second is all the wonderful people I’m able to meet. My friends and family might think what I do is a silly hobby but you guys treat me like an artist. You have no idea how much I appreciate all your kindnesses.
Finalmente, ¿algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Quiero agradecer a todos mis maravillosos partidarios. Ser capaz de crear es la parte favorita de lo que hago, pero un cercano segundo es toda la gente maravillosa que soy capaz de conocer. Mis amigos y familia pueden pensar que lo que hago es un tonto hobby, pero vosotros me tratáis como una artista. No tienen idea de cuánto aprecio toda su amabilidad.


Thank you so much for doing the interview!
It’s been my absolute pleasure.
Sincerely,
Shannon/Sparrow
¡Muchas gracias por hacer la entrevista!
Ha sido un completo placer.
Sinceramente,
Shannon/Sparrow


Ok, this was all! If you want to find Sparrow, here are some links to her work:

Hope you have liked this, thanks so much to Sparrow for participating, and please don't forget to share the link and help all the artists that we love!

2 comments :

  1. Realmente buena la entrevista. Shanon/Sparrow hace unos accesorios maravillosos. Las cornamentas son muy reales. Me encantó conocer más de su trabajo y sobre todo me parece impresionante su capacidad para superar sus problemas físicos y enfocarse en crear en lugar de quedarse lamentándose. Es una mujer admirable.
    Estupenda entrevista. Muy inspiradora.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciertamente, a mi también me pareció increíble su trabajo. Muchas gracias por leerla y comentar :3

      Delete