Tuesday 2 April 2013

Interview With Kao-chan

KnK Rosita. Owner: Kao-chan
Hello everybody! Today it is a special day, because it is the turn of the second artist interview of my blog.

This time, I have the pleasure to talk to Kao-chan from Ken no Kokoro Dolls. She is a BJD artist from Spain that for now- molds some incredible doll heads. As all of the interviews, this will be english/spanish. Also, all the pics in this post are from different owners, and Kao-chan gave those to me, to post them with the interview.

I apologize from the beginning if there is any issue with the english version, because this time we did the interview in spanish and I had to translate it.

So, lets start with the questions/answers and -as always- more under the cut.


Hello Kao-chan! Thank you for having this interview with me :) 
Thanks to you for thinking in me to do this, after Nefer Kane that is a true artist I feel that the line is so high.
¡Hola Kao-chan! Muchas gracias por entrevistarte conmigo :) 
Muchas gracias a ti por pensar en mi para esta entrevista, después de la de Nefer Kane que es toda una artista siento que el listón está muy alto.

How did you met BJDs? And how did you start sculpting?
Well, I met them in the Salón del Manga in Barcelona. I love manga and anime, and virtually all that is related to Japan, so even if I’m andalusian , almost all the years I go to Barcelona to this con. Some years ago (to say the truth, I don’t remember how many ^^U) I saw a couple of girls carrying BJD in their arms and I ended up completely stunned, I have never seen something like that, those dolls seemed to be alive. When I got home, I started a research; I remember thinking that I will never have anyone because they were too pricey, hahaha. The next year I bought my first doll, a Angel of Dream Rao that I love, even if she is not a very popular sculpt. Since then, already passed 5 years, and my family is now counting 22 members. At the beginning, I didn’t dare to change their eyes, or nothing, but with time I was discovering that to me, the most fun comes from customizing. I started to do the face ups of my dolls, I went ahead with modding and ended up sculpting my own sculpts. This way I got everything: I have a really fun time and I can have sculpts with features that I like and I wasn’t able to find in the stores.
¿Cómo conociste las BJD? ¿Y cómo comenzaste a modelar?
Pues las conocí en el Salón del Manga de Barcelona. Me encanta el manga y el anime, y básicamente casi todo lo relacionado con Japón, así que aunque soy andaluza, casi todos los años me desplazo a Barcelona a este salón. Hace unos años (si te digo la verdad no recuerdo cuántos ^^U) vi un par de chicas que llevaban BJDs en brazos y me quedé totalmente maravillada, nunca había visto nada igual, parecían estar vivas. Al llegar a casa empecé a investigar, recuerdo pensar que jamás tendría ninguna porque eran demasiado caras jajaja. Al año siguiente compré mi primera muñeca, una Rao de Angel of Dream que adoro a pesar de no ser un molde demasiado popular. Desde entonces han pasado casi 5 años y mi familia consta de 22 miembros. Al principio no me atrevía ni a cambiarles los ojos, pero con el tiempo fui descubriendo lo que para mi, es la parte más divertida del hobby: la customización. Empecé a maquillar a mis muñecas, seguí con modificaciones y al final me decidí a esculpir mis propios moldes. Así mato dos pájaros de un tiro, me lo paso genial y además puedo tener moldes con características que me gustan y que no encontraba en la oferta de las compañías.

KnK Amparita02. Owner: Michiru

Until now, you only have sculpted heads. Why?
Until now I have only sculpted heads because, personally, I’m not that demanding with bodies –what speak to me more, is the doll’s face, and the current market have so much bodies that feet my aesthetic criteria and in the beginning I didn’t thought on selling my sculpts, well, I didn’t even think on sculpting one.
Hasta ahora, sólo has modelado cabecitas. ¿Por qué?
Hasta ahora sólo he modelado cabecitas porque personalmente soy poco exigente con los cuerpos, lo que más me llama la atención y me hace comprar una muñeca es su cara, así que como hay tantos cuerpos en el mercado que se adaptan a mis necesidades y en principio no tenía pensado vender mis moldes, pues no me planteé esculpir uno.

Are you planning on doing a full BJD, including the body?
The truth is, yes. In fact, my next project is a full 1/6 size. It is already designed (more or less, I always end up changing things while in the making) and as soon as I get a couple mats I’m missing, I will start with it. It will be the first time I will be making a body and I’m kind of nervous, I think that I have a clear start in mind, I hope that I won’t get many troubles doing it. I can’t offer an ETA because I’m really slow in the sculpting process and I have to do other things too, bet at least I can assure that the next one will have body and won’t be necessary to worry about hybrids.
¿Planeas hacer una BJD completa, con cuerpo?
La verdad es que sí, de hecho mi próximo proyecto es una tamaño 1/6 completa ^^ Ya está diseñado (más o menos, siempre acabo cambiando cosas sobre la marcha jajaja) y en cuanto consiga un par de materiales que me faltan me pondré manos a la obra. Será la primera vez que haga un cuerpo y estoy algo nerviosa, en principio creo que lo tengo claro, espero que no me surjan demasiados problemas sobre la marcha. No puedo decir una fecha aproximada porque soy bastante lenta esculpiendo y además tengo que dedicarme también a otras cosas, pero al menos puedo asegurar que el próximo tendrá cuerpo y no habrá que preocuparse de hibridaciones ;)

KnK Patatita. Owner: Kao-chan

Most of your heads are 1/3 size. Do you have in mind to continue with other sizes (1/4 or 1/6)?
Yes, most of them are 1/3 because even if I have many sizes, I like best the bigger ones. But, I like to change so I will be alternating between them, and testing new sizes.
La mayoría de tus cabecitas son tamaño 1/3. ¿Tienes en vista continuar con otras medidas (1/4, 1/6)?
Sí, la mayoría son 1/3 porque, aunque tengo varios tamaños, los grandotes son los que más me gustan, pero me gusta ir variando así que iré alternando y probando nuevos tamaños.

How do you get the idea to do a new sculpt?
It depends, no always it is the same process. Sometimes I see a movie character, a person, a picture, a book or even other dolls and I get the will to do a sculpt with a particular feature that calls my attention or I believe it is interesting. Other times what I have in mind is not a picture but a personality, and I do features that –in my eyes- reflect that. Either way, I never finish a mold exactly like I planned it. Sometimes I want to do specifically something but it looks like the head-in-progress doesn’t want to be like I decide and I have to change my plans. Most of my BJDs owners understand me, it is the same when you have in mind a custom for a doll, then you buy the ideal wig, the perfect eyes… and when you put those in the doll it “doesn’t want” to be like that, then you test something you have spare and suddenly it is perfect, hahaha. In fact, I like it to be this way. It has a part of surprise even for me ^^
¿Cómo obtienes la idea para hacer un nuevo molde?
Depende, no es siempre igual. A veces veo un personaje de una película, una persona, una foto, un libro o incluso otras muñecas y me encuentro con ganas de hacer un molde con tal o cual característica que me llama la atención o me parece interesante. Otras veces lo que tengo en mente no es una imagen si no una forma de ser, una personalidad, y hago rasgos que a mi parecer reflejan eso. De cualquier manera nunca acabo un molde tal cual lo había pensado, a veces quiero hacer algo concreto, pero parece que la cabecita en proceso no quiere ser como yo decido y tengo que ir cambiando cosas. Seguro que muchos propietarios de BJD me entienden, es lo mismo que cuando tienes pensada una customización para uno de tus muñecos, compras la peluca ideal, los ojos perfectos…y cuando se los pones “no quiere” ser así, le pruebas algo de lo que tienes rondando por casa y de repente está perfecto jajaja. En realidad me gusta que sea así, tiene un cierto componente de sorpresa incluso para mi ^^

KnK Amparita02. Owner: Edochan

Finally, will you like to share something of your future plans with us?
Of course! As I said before, my next Project will be a small full 1/6 size doll, but I like to keep testing things! I want to do a small doll, about 17cm tall, with a body with unconventional proportions, fantasy parts, a anthro and pets… I think I want to do way too much things xD About other plans, I will like to go to the LDoll this year, with a small stand. I will love to share it with other Spanish sculptors. I never went to that, and I’m excited just to think that there will be so many Artists under the same roof. I die to see in person the creations of Enaibi, La Tarte au Citron and Asella Dolls, just for naming some.
Finalmente ¿te gustaría compartir algo de tus planes futuros con nosotros?
¡Por supuesto! Como ya he dicho, mi siguiente proyecto será una pequeña tamaño 1/6 completa, ¡pero quiero seguir probando cosas! Quiero hacer algún enanillo de menos de 17 cm, cuerpos de proporciones poco convencionales, partes de fantasía, algún anthro y mascotas…me parece que quiero hacer demasiadas cosas xD En cuanto a otro tipo de planes, este año me gustaría ir al Ldoll por fin con un pequeño stand, sería genial que fuese compartido con otros escultores españoles. Nunca he ido, ni siquiera como visitante, y me emociona pensar que habrá tantas artistazas bajo el mismo techo, muero por ver en persona las creaciones de Enaibi, La Tarte au Citron y Asella Dolls por citar sólo a algunas.

Thanks for your time and for answer everything!
Thanks to you for your kindness and for giving me this opportunity. And thanks all your readers for their interest. Big hugs!
¡Gracias por tu tiempo, y por responder todo!
Muchas gracias a ti por tu amabilidad y por darme esta oportunidad, y gracias a todos tus lectores por su interés. ¡Un gran abrazo!


So, this was all. Thank you so much, Kao-chan! It was really nice to be able to do this interview and read all of this! And now, to go and contact the next artist, for the May's interview.

Btw, feel free to share this interview in any social network or site! (Just link it, please). Lets help our fav artist to get known!

KnK Dolls Facebook: [link]
KnK Dolls Blog: [link]

6 comments :

  1. Realmente hermoso su trabajo. Me encant{o la entrevista, me gusta conocer más a fondo a los artistas. Sus trabajos son fantásticos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciertamente ¡sus cabecitas son preciosas!

      Delete
  2. muy linda entrevista! :3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this interesting interview! I'll definitely check out the artist's website! :)

    ReplyDelete