Monday 2 July 2018

Interview with SugarCoatedStars

Hello everybody!! Today we have a new interview, and we are back to the traditional written interviews. This month I had the pleasure of working with SugarCoatedStars, a very talented faceup artists located in USA. As always, all images are used with permission, and you can read the interview in both English and Spanish. So, without further ado, let's start!


Hello and thank you for doing the interview! Would you introduce yourself to our readers?
Hello, and thank you for offering to interview me! I go by Ame, a nickname that’s been with me since high school, but people also know me as SugarCoatedStars across Tumblr and Den of Angels and SugarStars over Instagram. Some also call me Sugar when speaking with me directly! There’s no preference as to what people address me by. Currently, I reside in Washington State!
¡Hola y gracias por hacer la entrevista! ¿Te introducirías a los lectores?
¡Hola, y gracias por ofrecerme la entrevista! Me dicen Ame, un sobrenombre que ha estado conmigo desde la secundaria, pero también me dice SugarCoatedStars en Tumblr y Den of Angels, y SugarStars en Instagram. ¡Algunos me dicen Sugar cuando hablan directamente conmigo! No hay preferencia alguna al respecto. ¡Actualmente vivo en el estado de Washington!



Let’s start with the basics. How did you meet BJDs? Do you have artistic background?
I don’t have an artistic background in the sense that I went to a formal school to study art, but art has always been a good outlet for me. I’m self-taught with every artistic thing that I do. I like delving into hobbies whenever I make the time for it, and I tend to be very passionate about my interests!
I came across ABJDs when I was on deviantART, actually. I used to draw more than I currently do now, so I was on the site quite often back then. The first BJD I ever saw was in one of the photos on the front page being displayed as something recently-submitted. It was a CP Breakaway, and I immediately wanted one! Because he was limited and rather difficult to obtain at the time, I looked around for a bit and found a Dream of Doll Yen that I managed to afford on my retail-worker budget. He was my first doll, however, I wasn’t satisfied with him because he wasn’t Breakaway. I eventually sold him and purchased a CP EL in lieu of that Breakaway— back when Luts still hosted CP on their site. I think that I was like everyone else in 2006. I had, like, four ELs and handful of other CP dolls. Saving for them had been a pain in the butt, but I was happy to have my hoard. (Yes, I did get a Breakaway years later— in fact, I had two!)
Empecemos con lo básico. ¿Cómo conociste a las BJDs? ¿Tienes formación artística?
No tengo formación artística en el sentido de haber estudiado arte en una escuela formal, pero el arte siempre ha sido un buen descargo para mí. He aprendido sola en cada cosa artística que hago. Salto entre hobbies cuando tengo tiempo para ellos, ¡y tiendo a ser muy apasionada en mis intereses!
Encontré las ABJDs cuando estaba en DeviantArt, de hecho. Dibujaba mucho más que ahora, así que participaba mucho en ese sitio. La primera BJD que ví estaba en una de las fotos de la página principal, y la mostraban como “recién subida”. Era una CP Breakaway, ¡e inmediatamente quise uno! Dado que era un limitado y un poco difícil de obtener en ese momento, busqué un poco y encontré un Dream of Doll Yen que me las arreglé para conseguir con mi presupuesto. Era mi primer muñeco y, como sea, no estaba completamente satisfecha con él porque no era un Breakaway. Enventualmente lo vendí y compré un CP El, en reemplazo de ese Breakaway… eso fue cuando Luts aún vendía a CP en su sitio. Creo que era como todos en 2006. Tenía como cuatro ELs y otro grupo de muñecos de CP. Ahorrar para ellos fue un dolor, pero estaba contenta de tener mi ejército. Y sí, años después conseguí un Breakaway: ¡dos de ellos, de hecho!



Your faceups are amazing and varied! How did you started offering face-ups commissions? Do you work with commission slots?
Thank you, so much! I like toying with styles, and I don’t consider myself to be someone who sticks with just one style of faceup!I begun doing my own faceups when sending them off became more expensive than I could afford at the time and when I had a couple of negative experiences with some other artists— the latter is what really pushed me to do my own work! I started offering commissions when I both needed the money, and when I found out that people actually liked my work enough to pay for it— this was several years ago.
It was a little scary at first, being responsible for heads that didn’t belong to me and receiving money through commissions. Now, I’m painting heads because it’s fun; I greatly-enjoy making new connections with people in the hobby through my work, and I like doing my best to breathe life into blank sculpts. Having someone tell me that they’re pleased with their freshly-painted head is such a satisfying feeling to me.
I do have slots, and they’re basically always open! I used to have monthly slots, but it was a drag when I had less slots available than I had people wanting to commission me. Now, I ensure that I manage my time well and that I do my best to get heads home quickly so that I may take more commissions. So, yeah! I’m essentially always open (I’m even open now)!
¡Tus maquillajes son increíbles y variados! ¿Cómo comenzaste a ofrecer comisiones? ¿Trabajas con listas de pedidos?
¡Muchas gracias! Me gusta jugar con estilos, y no creo ser de esos que se adhieren a un solo estilo de maquillaje.Comencé a hacer mis maquillajes cuando enviarlos pasó a ser más caro de lo que podía permitirme en ese tiempo, y cuando tuve un par de experiencias negativas con otros artistas. Eso último es lo que realmente me empujó a hacer mi propio trabajo. Comencé a ofrecer comisiones cuando necesitaba el dinero, y cuando descubrí que a las personas les gustaba mi trabajo lo suficiente como para querer pagar por ello. Esto fue varios años atrás.
Tuve un poco de miedo al principio, por ser responsable de cabecitas que no me pertenecían y por recibir dinero a través de comisiones. Ahora lo hago porque es divertido; realmente disfruto hacer nuevas conexiones con gente del hobby a través de mi trabajo, y me gusta dar lo mejor para darle vida a las cabecitas blancas. Tener a alguien que me dice que les gusta la cabecita que acabo de pintar es un sentimiento muy satisfactorio para mí.
Tengo listas, ¡pero están siempre abiertos! Ante tenía huecos mensuales, pero era un lío cuando tenía menos huecos que personas interesadas en trabajar conmigo. Ahora, me las arreglo para gestionar bien mi tiempo, y hago lo mejor para despachar las cabecitas rápido, para poder tomar más pedidos. ¡Así que sí! En esencia, siempre estoy abierta ¡incluso ahora!



Do you have a workplace to share with us? How do you organize to do face-ups?
This is sort of a funny topic to me haha. My space isn’t like the other spaces I’ve seen; I don’t have a standard desk, but, here is my workspace! I know that it seems small, but I’m the type of person to feel more comfortable on the floor or near the floor— I feel very grounded! Being close to the floor reminds me that we all begin from somewhere; we all start from the bottom up. I also feel I’m more efficient with a space that’s perpetually organized, thusly my supplies remain in a plastic container until I need them! I’m a neat freak.
¿Tienes algún espacio de trabajo para compartir con nosotros? ¿Cómo te organizas para hacer maquillajes?
Este es un tema divertido para mi, jaja. Mi espacio no es como otros que he visto. ¡No tengo un escritorio estándar! Sé que parece pequeño, pero soy el tipo de persona que se siente más cómoda en el piso o cerca del piso. ¡Me siento centrada! Estar cercana al piso me recuerda que todos comenzamos de algún lado; todos empezamos desde abajo. También me siento más eficiente con un espacio que está perpetuamente organizado, por lo tanto mis cosas permanecen en un contenedor hasta que las necesito. Soy una exagerada del orden.



Among your faceups: do you have a personal favorite? And a most popular face-up?
Biased, I know, but I actually really like my Iplehouse Leonard’s faceup! Doing his faceup was a turning point for me. Initially, when I purchased him, I was unreasonably worried that he wasn’t going to work out. His sculpt is so beautiful, and I was concerned that I would do Iplehouse a great disservice by painting him. But, he ended up being really handsome once I was finished! I’m assuming that his faceup is also my most popular, because I’ve been painting a lot of handsome men following the completion of Kaeru’s faceup~ Since then, I feel like faceups that are more natural are equally fun to do as any other faceup that I’ve done over the years. I’m a lot more comfortable with them now than before I purchased and painted my Leonard; although, I’m a fan of variety. I like anything from smoky eyes and long, bottom eyelashes to minimal colour with skin texturing and big eyebrows!
Respecto a tus maquillajes: ¿tienes un favorito personal? ¿Y uno más popular?
Sesgado, lo sé, ¡pero a mi realmente me gusta el maquillaje de mi Iplehouse Leonard! Hacer su maquillaje fue un punto de quiebre para mí. Inicialmente, cuando lo compré, estaba irrazonablemente preocupada de que no iba a funcionar. Su molde es tan hermoso, y me preocupaba no justificar a Iplehouse cuando lo pintara. ¡Pero terminó siendo muy apuesto! Estoy asumiento que su maquillaje es también el más popular, porque he estado pintando muchos hombres apuestos luego de terminar el maquillaje de Kaeru. Desde entonces, creo que los maquillajes son más naturales e igualmente divertidos de hacer que cualquier otro que he hecho en otros años. Estoy mucho más cómoda con ellos ahora, que antes de comprar y pintar a mi Leonard. No obstante, me encanta la variedad. Me encanta todo desde los ojos ahumados con largas pestañas hasta el color mínimo, e incluso la textura de piel ¡y las cejas grandes!



And what about your own personal doll collection? Do you have a favorite size or brand?
I like the big boys! I gravitate towards male dolls that are 70CM and taller; although, finding clothing for them in the styles that I have in mind can be such a daunting task. Collecting smaller SDs offers some reprieve to this issue. I don’t know if I should be happy or not about the fact that anything smaller than an SD doesn’t stay in my household for very long— still, I’ve found myself more capable of “bonding” with dolls that are at least 58CM. At the moment, I have two SDs— an EID and a 60CM-ish boy— and, I’m hoping that’s it for now. My drive to go through the entire process of buying a doll and finding clothing and buying wigs and everything else for a new doll is waning; it can take a lot of energy and funding to put a doll together! While waiting for things is fun, I’m also wanting to feel as though my collection is finally complete so that I may focus on taking pictures of them.
As far as brands go, I’m a Switch gal. Despite only having one of their sculpts right now, I’ve owned a number of them over the years— I even had two Soseos at one point— and, I like seeing their new releases. With doll aesthetics, I find myself sitting on a line between liking realistic sculpts and stylized sculpts. Switch fits nicely in-between.
¿Y sobre tu colección personal de muñecos? ¿Tienes algún tamaño o marca favorite?
¡Me gustan los chicos grandes! Me muevo hacia muñecos hombres de 70cm o más; aunque encontrar ropa que me guste para ellos es una tarea complicada. Coleccionar SDs más pequeños ofrece un poco menos problemas. No sé si debería estar feliz o no del hecho que cada cosa más pequeña que un SD no se queda mucho tiempo en mi casa. Aún así, me he encontrado más capaz de “enamorarme” con muñecos que son al menos 58cm de alto. En este momento tengo dos SD: un EID y un chico de 60cm, y estoy esperando que eso sea todo por ahora. Mi motivación para ir por todo el proceso de comprar una muñeca, encontrar ropa y comprar pelucas y todo lo demás es muy cansador; ¡puede requerir mucha energía y fondos armar una muñeca! Y mientras esperar por cosas en el correo es divertido, también siento que mi colección está completa, y que puedo enfocarme en tomarles fotos.
Respecto a las marcas, me encanta Switch. A pesar de que ahora sólo tengo uno de sus moldes, he sido dueña de varios de ellos a través de los años. En un punto, incluso tuve dos Soseos, y sigo todas sus nuevas producciones. Con la estética, me encuentro sentándome en la línea entre las cosas realistas y las esculturas estilizadas. Switch es un punto intermedio interesante.



Let’s go back to face-ups. Are there any materials that are your favorites? Have you changed your supplies over time? Do you have any tips to share with us?
I would be so lost without the basics: face masks, paper towels, Q-Tips, brushes, magic erasers… I’ve always had success using Winsor and Newton brush cleaner for faceup removal— I don’t ever soak— and I’ve been mostly consistent with what I use to complete my faceups. I think that it’s more so that my technique has changed! Instead of drawing on using watercolour pencils like I used to, I recently transitioned to painting on lines! I find my lines to be much cleaner this way, and I’ve been very happy with the results regardless of the fact that it takes a lot longer to complete a faceup!
For hints: Sometimes, I actually have shaky hands! It’s really irking when I want to focus and get work done to everyone’s satisfaction. I get a lot of compliments on my lines. But, oh man, if people could see me working… In order to cope with the times my hands shake, a friend taught me to concentrate specifically on the brush and where it’s going on the doll— do your best to ignore everything else! I hope that helps some of you as much as it’s helped me! Also: please take breaks if you need them! Art is frustrating, and faceups are a form of art. You will make progress if you just keep at it. So, do your best to be patient with yourself and where you’re at!
Volvamos a los maquillajes. ¿Tienes materiales favorites? ¿Los has cambiado con el tiempo ? ¿Tienes sugerencias para compartir con nosotros?
Estaría perdida sin lo básico: máscaras para el rostro, toallitas de papel, isopos, pinceles, gomas… siempre he tenido mucho éxito usando el limpia-pinceles de “Winsor y Newton” para quitar maquillajes. Jamás sumerjo la cabeza, y siempre he sido consistente con lo que uso para completar mis maquillajes. ¡Creo que mi técnica es la que ha cambiado! En lugar de dibujar con lápices acuarelables como antes ¡ahora comencé a pintar con acrílico! Creo que mis líneas son mucho más limpias así, y estoy muy contenta con los resultados a pesar del hecho de que lleva mucho más tiempo completar un maquillaje.
Sobre sugerencias: ¡muchas veces me tiemblan las manos! Es realmente molesto cuando quiero concentrarme y terminar el trabajo satisfaciendo a todos. Me dan cumplidos sobre mis líneas. Pero por favor, si las personas pudieran verme trabajar… para sobrellevar lo mucho que tiemblan las manos, un amigo me enseñó a concentrarme específicamente en el pincel y a dónde va en la muñeca: ¡lo mejor es ignorar todo lo demás! ¡Espero que eso los ayude tanto como me ha ayudado a mí! El arte es muy frustrante, y los maquillajes son una forma de arte. Sólo harás progreso si continúas trabajando en ello. ¡Así que da lo major para ser paciente con ti mismo en donde estás!



Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
Again, thank you for receiving my responses! This was a really incredible surprise, and I’m honoured that you chose me to speak with. I’m from the “older” generation of the hobby, when there were only a select number of companies open to purchase from. It’s amazing that we’ve all come this far together, and it’s important to recognize the hard work that the sculptors put into helping this hobby grow into what it is. I’m always open to anyone for questions regarding where to properly buy sculpts or about anything else that may concern you-- even if you need tips with lifting weights haha.
For those who may have missed it, I am open for commissions, and I’d be more than happy to work with you!
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
De nuevo ¡gracias por aceptar mis respuestas! Esta fue una sorpresa increíble, y es un honor que me hayas elegido para hablar conmigo. Soy de la “vieja generación” del hobby, cuando sólo había un número selecto de compañías de las cuales comprar. Es increíble a dónde hemos llegado todos, y es importante reconocer el duro trabajo de los escultores que ayudan a hacer crecer este hobby en lo que es hoy. Siempre estoy abierta a preguntas respecto a dónde comprar moldes, o cualquier otra cosa que puedas necesitar –incluso preguntas sobre levantar pesas, jaja!
Para aquellos que se lo perdieron, siempre estoy abierta a comisiones, ¡y estaría muy feliz de trabajar con ustedes!



And this is all for today!! I hope you have enjoyed this interview, and a special thanks to SugarCoatedStars for accepting the interview! If you like her work, you can find her on the following sites:
Feel free to share the link to this interview, but do not repost it! If you want me to interview someone, go ahead and send me the suggestion, I'd try my best to get it done :D I wish you an awesome new month, and have a great weekend!

10 comments :

  1. Thanks for another great interview, Musume. I wasn't familiar with SugarCoatedStars but I really like her style. I especially like that she is always open to commissions. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you like this!! She has an amazing style, honestly :D

      Delete
  2. What a great artist and a wonderful interview! SugarCoatedStars are new to me and it is always nice to learn about new artists. She gave a great tip, too! My hands can be shaking too, from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed she is!! I'm glad you liked the interview!!
      I agree, that was a very useful tip! :D

      Delete
  3. Oh what a great interview. I've been a huge admirer of Ame's work for a while now. I am still hoping to be able to commission her one day. Just got to get some more in the doll fund to do it! It was great to read more about how she got started. Thanks Musume for sharing the interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Ame's work is amazing, honestly. I'm so happy you liked the interview!

      Delete
  4. Que hermosa entrevista!! La artista parece muy extrovertida y me encantó como explicó cada pregunta. Gracias por tan excelente entrevista.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! A mi también me encantaron sus respuestas.
      Me alegro que gustara la entrevista :D

      Delete
  5. Another very interesting interview. I really love reading them, and I learned about some artists I did not know before on your blog. Thank you for the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm happy you liked the interview and that you met new artists :D

      Delete