Sunday 21 July 2019

BJD Hobby: My Reflections

This is more of a chat post, because I felt that I wanted to share some of my insight on the hobby and... that is why I have the blog for! This is not a scheduled post, so please excuse the quality of the pictures: I am back to taking photos with my phone, as I sold my camera before moving countries.

Also, cheers to my partner, 10/10 totally recommended, because he stood there patiently while I wrangled with Venezia's wig. "Why do I have to pose, instead of you?" he asked. "Because I like to take pictures, and you are terribly framing a photo" I explained. And so, these pictures happened. BTW, I am in-love with V's outfit here.



How it all Started


So, a couple weeks ago I was talking with a colleague, and they asked a very simple question: "do you have any hobbies?". And then, my mind went into the deep abyss of the BJD hobby. How could I explain something like this to that person? Even if some people have an open mind, I don't appreciate divulging the fact that I'm a grown up woman playing with toys. So I summarized it easily: "I love photography".


What can you do in this hobby, then?


But regardless of that, I remembered something I read somewhere: "the BJD hobby is the hobby of hobbies". Seriously! Let's make some items, from my point of view:
  • Do you like sewing? Go ahead, you can sew for dolls, and break your head trying to port traditional pattern-making or fashion design into the miniatures of a doll body, where 1mm makes a hell of a difference. In my case, I love period fashion, and I really enjoy sewing... never mind the intricacies of making my math to create a pattern out of scratch, making darts and all of that.
  • Do you like crafting in general? Go ahead, again, you can craft shoes, eyes, wigs... because if you want a weird, Reinassence-style updo for your doll, animals included in them, you can do it. Do you like needle-felting? Of course, you can do pets for your dolls, even hats!
  • What about miniatures? You can ask... I'll point you to the amazing dioramas and roomboxes I've seen in this hobby (seriously, check ResinRapture's blog, because her skills are otherwordly!). I have made a lot of furniture for my dolls as well, and really enjoyed it as well! My TreeStump diorama is my favorite craft, honestly
  • Do you like writing or world-building? Of course, you can use your dolls as your characters, and create stunning worlds, while having your characters IRL with you, in a physical form. I could point you so many incredible writers in this hobby!
  • Do you like painting/sculpting? Of course, again! Not only you can paint the dolls (this was a dream of mine, and I thoroughly enjoyed doing this), but you can also sculpt on them, create fantasy parts, or even your own dolls!
  • And if you want an always-available-never-complaining model for photos? Of course, BJDs. And you can also take pics of your dioramas, crafts, miniatures, frames for the stories, outfits, and even the faceups and paintings you did.
It took me six items, and that was making it shorter because, for people inside the BJD hobby, I was already stating the obvious. How can you explain this to other people?


The Community


And then, you have the community. If I look back, so many things I happened, and I think I never shared it before, openly, here in my blog.

It all started after a failed Google search, as it did for many people. I ghosted around DoA for two or three years, never feeling part of it because my doll was homemade of cold porcelain, and I didn't have a "real" resin BJD. And then came my blog, and you people embraced me and followed my adventures.

Then, recasts started to get popular. I was part of a local Facebook group, and things with recasts got so bad that people started to bully pro-artists. I had written a pro-artist post, explaining a lot of details of the process, and people were mean to me. My account got reported and closed, and I felt like I was out of place on this community.

I went back to my safe heaven, my blog. And eventually, Instagram came. Yeah, there is still drama but I have learned to keep safely away from that. And one day, I needed the help of the community: I asked for help to keep my cat with me, and people helped me. They purchased my patterns on Etsy, they shared my links and posts, and they donated me. And now, it is thanks to this hobby that I am here, sitting with my cat in my lap, across the world where everything started, sharing this.

Is it a hobby? Yes. Is it only a hobby? No, it is way more than that. It is not only a venue for expressing a thousand of artistic threads, but it is also a group of amazing people. I owe this hobby so much, and I wouldn't have expected it seven years ago when it all started.

That is why I cannot express it easily or summarize as a society-appropriate answer to the question "do you have any hobbies?". I would still go with photography, because it is the side I enjoy the most after sewing. But at least I was able to rant here.

Food for thought. If you want, I dare you explain what this hobby is for you! Have a nice weekend, and thanks for reading this wall-of-text.

10 comments :

  1. Thank you, Musume, for that heartfelt post. It's hard for me to tell people about this hobby, too. Over the years I've become a little more comfortable saying out loud, "I collect ball jointed dolls." People still look at me as if I had three heads, because after all, I am a grown woman. I'm not supposed to play with dolls. Even so, I am incredibly grateful to this hobby for leading me into making wigs and shoes, painting faceups, crafting accessories, getting back into sewing and crochet, etc. I could mention photography, but I've always taken photos as a hobby so the dolls are just an extension of that. As for your Facebook group, good riddance! You don't need people like that. What will the recast friendly people do for dolls after they drive all the legitimate doll artists out of business?

    I love your photos of Venezia. I'm so glad you were able to keep her. Her eyes are so beautiful and realistic. They look amazing with her skin tone and hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is why I never say it out loud. But I agree with you: I am so proud and grateful of being in this hobby! And you are right, I never needed that group, but it was awful what happened anyways.

      I'm happy that you liked the pictures, it was funny to take them. Those eyes are gorgeous, Garodoll made such an amazing job!

      Delete
  2. Balljointedwoman already said a lot of what I wanted to write. Thanks for this 'chatty' post. There is a German word 'Seelentrost', it's basically something that gives you comfort and a quiet kind of enjoyment that can't be shared. Hard to explain, but it's probably a big part of the hobby as we (You, Balljointedwomen and me) and other creative people experience it. Venezia and your partner take good care of their shoes- haha. Mine never look that clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, that word is exactly on point, honestly!
      And yes hahaha! The shoes look really perfect on that picture <3

      Delete
  3. Thank you for this post, it is really interesting and yes, I can relate to so much of what you say.
    I love the photo of Venezia too, she's lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm happy that people are resonating with this! It is something I simply wanted to share. Happy you like the photos as well :D

      Delete
  4. Here, here, Musume! Well said and probably what most of us feel, but I am now comfortable saying I am a doll enthusiast. I think I prefer it to saying doll collector, as the response from other people is often one of interest. Which in turn allows me the opportunity to "educate" people about all the aspects of this fabulous hobby that we share.

    I love that you included all the photos of your beautiful Venezia, she is such a stunning doll and a perfect model.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, that is a good way of putting it, and definitely sounds more "adult thing" rather than "playing with dolls". Happy you also liked Venezia! :D

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this open hearted and chatty post! I can relate to the fact - I would have answered photography, too. You can do almost anything in this hobby. When I got into it, my first thought was sewing and then photography. They really can be perfect models and V's outfit is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! I honestly think that the BJD hobby is like a canvas that you can use as a "venue" to support any other hobby!

      Delete