Sunday 1 March 2020

Interview with Walloya Morring

Hello everybody! Another interview is here, this time with Svetlana from Walloya Morring! She makes stunning BJD pets (have you seen that Cerberus??). Anyways, I hope you'll like this interview; images are used with permission, and the text is both in English and Spanish.

Enjoy!


Hello! Thanks for agreeing to do the interview!
Hi there! It’s Svetlana, I’m a founder of Walloya Morring and an author of all dolls that comes under this brand. Thank you for inviting to do the interview!
¡Hola! ¡Gracias por aceptar la entrevista!
¡Hola! Soy Svetlana, fundadora de Walloya Morring y autora de todas las muñecas que son de esta marca. ¡Gracias por invitarme para la entrevista!



Do you have artistic background? How did you find out about BJDs? Do you collect them?
Yeah, I have a bit of artistic background. When I was a child, I went to children art school in my hometown (it’s in Orenburg region, more than 1500 km from Moscow) and once I won a regional award. It was really great! And then a few years after that I went to Moscow university for clothing technologist and I didn't draw since that because studying took all my time. I saw myself as a clothes designer (but during studying I understood that I hated sewing at all).
Firstly, I found out about BJDs on the Internet, I saw some pictures of Marina Bychkova's dolls - and I thought "Wow - that's so amazing but how expensive are they, that's crazy!" And that's all, the first touching was without consequences. And a year or 2 later I got at a doll show in Moscow by accident. It's called Doll Salon and that time it held on Vetoshniy Pereulok street. There I saw in person all kinds of dolls including BJDs and at that moment I understood that I wanted to make BJDs...
I’m not a collector yet but I have some BJDs made by my friends also BJD artists. And I have some of my first dolls (the first Tarsier, Adult fox, Cerberus, Hellhound, girl and other). I will never sell them!
¿Tienes formación artística? ¿Cómo conociste las BJDs? ¿Las coleccionas?
Sí, tengo algo de formación artística. Cuando era niña fui a una escuela de arte para niños en mi ciudad natal (en la región Orenburg, más de 1500Km lejos de Moscú) y una vez gané un premio regional. ¡Fue genial! Y luego unos años después fui a la universidad de Moscú para estudiar tecnología de ropa y no dibujaba nada, porque estudiar me consumía todo el tiempo. Me veía como una diseñadora de moda, pero durante el estudio me di cuenta de que odiaba coser.
Primero encontré las BJDs en internet, y vi las muñecas de Marina Bychkova, y pensé “Wow, son tan hermosas pero tan caras ¡es muy loco!”. Y eso es todo, la primera mirada trajo consecuencias. Un año o dos después, conseguí una muñeca de artista por accidente, en una convención de muñeca de Moscú. Se llama Doll Salón, y está en la calle Vetoshniy Pereulok. Ahí vi muchos tipos de muñecas, y entendí que quería hacerlas.
Aún no soy una coleccionista, pero tengo algunas BJDs hechas por amigas que también son artistas. Y tengo algunas de mis primeras muñecas (el primer Tarsier, Zorro Adulto, Cerbero, Hellhound, niña y otros). ¡Nunca los venderé!



And from there, how did you decided to start WalloyaMorring?
Then I started surfing the Internet to find some information how to make dolls, took some courses - the first course was how to make a static doll and the others were about how to make BJD, and I started going to doll shows and other doll events till once I met Olga Bekreeva (Eve Studio/EvetheCat) and she showed her the very first 3D printed doll, it was an assembled white (not painted) cat that made my inner world upside down. There is 3d printing and it may be used for creating BJDs! So I started asking Olga to do a course or some tutorials about it but she answered that she didn't have time for that (now I understand her very well) and I offered to help her with making dolls. Olga agreed and I started helping her and studying everything. In April 2014 my first 3d printed doll came into the world. It was a Tarsier. So that's how Walloya Morring started.
Y desde ahí ¿cómo decidiste empezar WalloyaMorring?
Desde ahí, comencé a navegar Internet buscando información en cómo hacer muñecas. Tomé algunos cursos, y el primero era sobre cómo hacer una muñeca estática, otros sobre BJDs, y empecé a ir a Espectáculos de Muñecas y otros eventos, donde conocí a Olga Bekreeva (de Eve Studio/EveTheCat) donde ella mostró su primera muñeca impresa en 3D. Era un gato, armado en blanco y sin pintar, y eso torció todo mi mundo. ¡Existe la impresión 3D y se puede usar para crear muñecas! Así que empecé a preguntarle a Olga que hiciera un curso o algunos tutoriales, pero me dijo que no tenía tiempo para eso (ahora la entiendo muy bien) y me ofrecí a ayudarla con las muñecas y aprender. Olga aceptó, y yo empecé a aprender mucho. En abril de 2014 mi primera muñeca impresa llegó al mundo. Era un Tarsier. Y así es como comenzó Walloya Morring.



What is the process of designing a new pet? How much time do you pour into each project?
The process of designing and creating is very long and it takes a lot of time for me because I have to find breaks in work on orders and making pets for another doll show. I will try to describe it as short as I can.
Everything starts with fire that burns inside when I realize that I want to make, then I look for some pictures and drawings, set a base of references. Sometimes I draw a scheme to see how it should work. Next step is sculpting in Zbrush, I make the whole sculpt with some details. When it looks good, I start to cut it into joints. It's very important for me to find a balance between flexibility of joints and aesthetics, how the doll looks. After that I add finish detail and here starts the next step - preparing to be printed. Mostly we use selective laser sintering (SLS) method of printing. The powder of nylon turns into durable plastic of Polyamide under the influence of a laser.
There are lots of requirements for 3D printing such as orientation of details in a box of the 3d printer, minimum thickness of walls, all details must be hollow, minimum ledge, hole and so on. These 2 steps the most difficult and take most time. It's important to get good quality. But it's not enough to get the best quality. SLS printers are industrial and we use services of 3d print service companies. It's not easy to find a company that can give you necessary quality, fortunately we've got some. Yet there are some defects sometimes.
After receiving the printed parts of the doll, it's necessary to clean out of the rest powder and prepare the parts to be painted. The cleaning has 3 steps - dry cleaning, wet cleaning and drying. It's very important to clean the surface carefully if there is some powder on the surface it can lead to damage of painting. Also, after cleaning it can be seen any defects on the surface and if everything is Okay, we can start coloring/painting. This step has a lot of different methods of doing it. Etching, airbrushing and hand painting with brushes.
Although polyamide has rough surface and paint gets deep inside the material it's necessary to cover painting with protective varnish. And, here is the last step - assembling. There are 3 steps there. Assembling with elastic, gluing magnets and inserting eyes. And the doll is done (finally)!
¿Cuál es el proceso de diseñar una nueva mascota? ¿Cuánto tiempo te lleva cada proyecto?
El proceso de diseñar una muñeca es muy largo y lleva mucho tiempo, porque tengo que encontrar huecos en preparar encargos y hacer muñecas para otro show. Lo voy a describir tan corto como pueda.
Todo empieza con darme cuenta de que quiero hacer algo, y busco por referencias, dibujos para armar una base. A veces hago un bosquejo de cómo podría funcionar. El siguiente paso es modelar en ZBrush, donde hago toda la escultura con algunos detalles. Cuando se ve bien, empiezo a cortarlo en articulaciones. Es muy importante para mí encontrar un balance entre flexibilidad de articulaciones y estética, como se va a ver la muñeca. Luego de agregar detalles finales, comienza el siguiente paso: prepararse para imprimir. Generalmente usamos SLS (impresión de láser selectiva). El polvo de nylon se convierte en un plástico durable de poliamida bajo la influencia del láser.
Hay muchos requerimientos para imprimir, así como la orientación de los detalles en la caja de la impresora, el grosor mínimo de las paredes, todos los detalles tienen que ser huecos, etc. Estos dos pasos son las más difíciles la mayoría del tiempo: es importante tener una buena calidad. Pero no es suficiente para tener la mejor calidad. Las impresoras SLS son industriales y usamos los servicios de una compañía de impresión. No es fácil encontrar una que puede dar la calidad necesaria, pero afortunadamente tenemos algunos. Pero a veces hay defectos.
Luego de recibir las partes impresas de las muñecas, es necesario limpiarlas de los resabios de polvo y prepararlas para pintarlas. La limpieza tiene tres partes en seco, mojado y secado. Es muy importante limpiar la superficie muy bien, porque si hay polvillo se puede dañar la pintura. Además, luego de limpiarla se ven defectos en la superficie. Y si todo está bien, podemos empezar a colorear y pintar. Este paso tiene muchos métodos para hacerlo. Calado, aerógrafo y pintarlo a mano con pinceles.
Aunque el poliamida es una superficie áspera, la pintura se mete bastante en el material, así que es necesario cubrirla con un barniz protector. Y luego llega el ensamblado, con tres pasos. Ensamblar con el elástico, pegar los imanes e insertar los ojos. ¡Y la muñeca está completa (finalmente)!



You make from real pets to fantasy, like the stunning Cerberus. How do you decide on what to do?
The decision of what doing next happens by accident. Sometimes when I watch pictures on the Internet, drawings of my favorite artists, cartoons or animated movies or even when I see an animal in person in Zoo or wild nature - fire starts burning inside and I'm full of energy to make a BJD based on this animal. And I start sculpting... yeah there are lots of creatures I've started making and don't finish it yet. And much more creatures in my list to do. Some of them are waiting for interesting design, some of them are waiting for its hour.
Now I'm very busy with orders and preparation to doll shows (conventions). But in this year, I'm going to change these things. First of all I'm going to optimize process of production, reduce number of doll shows I take part in, increase price and turn off pre-order on some dolls that will help me to find more free time to go forward and make new creatures and use new methods of production and new materials.
Creas desde mascotas hasta animales de fantasía, como ese increíble Cerberos. ¿Cómo te decides a qué hacer?
La decisión generalmente pasa por accidente. A veces cuando veo fotos en Internet, dibujos de mis artistas favoritos, animaciones o películas, e incluso cuando veo un animal en persona en el zoológico o la naturaleza. El fuego empieza a quemar por dentro y estoy llena de energía para hacer una BJD basada en ese animal. Y empiezo a modelar… sí, hay muchas criaturas que he comenzado y no he terminado aún. Y muchas más en mi lista para hacer. Algunas están esperando un diseño interesante, otras están esperando por su hora.
Ahora estoy muy ocupada preparando muñecas para convenciones. Pero este año voy a cambiar las cosas. Voy a optimizar el proceso de producción, reducir la cantidad de shows a los que voy, incrementar el precio y quitar el pre-encargo en algunas muñecas para tener más tiempo libre para crear algunas nuevas, usar nuevos métodos de producción y materiales.



Your dolls have different measurements. Can you explain how this work?
Yeah, that's right! It's happened from the beginning. When I started making Tarsiers I thought that measurement from the ground to the top of ears are the best way. But then I made other dolls such as kittens, fox cubs, skeletons, headheels and so on. And this way of measuring I applied to them while I added new heads for Tarsiers and kittens that have different shapes of the ears, so the best way of measuring became from the ground to the top of the head. But then I started making Adult foxes, dogs and cats - they have different meanings, from the ground to the back (as it goes in the world). I understand that it can confuse anyone (sorry for that guys). So, I'm going to make pictures of all measurements and it'll be helpful.
Tus muñecas tienen distintas medidas. ¿Puedes explicar cómo funciona?
¡Sí, es correcto! Las han tenido desde el principio. Cuando comencé a hacer Tarsiers, pensé que las medidas desde el piso hasta las orejas era lo mejor. Pero luego hice otras cosas como gatos, zorros, esqueletos, y demás. Y apliqué esta forma de medir cuando agregué nuevas cabezas para los Tarsiers y gatos, y tuve diferentes formas para las orejas, así que la mejor forma cambió para ser desde el suelo hasta la cima de la cabeza. Pero luego hice zorros adultos, perros y gatos -ellos tienen medidas diferentes, como desde el piso hasta el lomo (como en el mundo real). Comprendo que es confuso (lo lamento). Así que voy a tomar fotos de todas las medidas para que sea más sencillo.


Do you work with stock dolls, pre-order or made-to order? What are the steps required to order from you?
We work with stock dolls and made-to order dolls (not custom dolls, I don’t make custom dolls).
For placing an order I'd recommend visiting Etsy shop, learn all available doll options and get in touch with us on Instagram or any other social networks, also it's possible to do via email, via a contact form on the website. In this case the price will a bit lower than on Etsy and you don't have to pay Sale tax as it happens with customers from the USA, Australia and other countries where Etsy collects this tax.
By the way about Etsy - at the moment we're working on selling the dolls on Instagram and later on our new website because Etsy's acts seem excessive to us. We're going to stay on Etsy because there are lots of reviews and links to there. But there won't be all dolls in stock there and prices will be higher. So, follow us on Instagram! @walloyamorring
¿Trabajas con stock, pre-encargo o hecho-a-pedido? ¿Cuáles son los pasos requeridos para encargarte algo?
Trabajo con muñecas en stock y hechas-a-pedido (no personalizadas, no hago eso).
Para hacer un pedido, recomiendo visitar el Etsy, ver todas las opciones disponibles, y contactarme por Instagram u otras redes sociales. También se puede hacer por email, mediante una forma de contacto en el sitio web. En este caso, el precio es menor que en Etsy, ya que no tienes que pagar el impuesto a la venta, como le pasa a los clientes de USA, Australia y otros países donde Etsy cobra esto.
Por cierto, sobre Etsy. En este momento estamos trabajando vendiendo muñecas por Instagram y luego en el sitio web, porque la actitud de Etsy nos parece excesiva. Vamos a permanecer ahí porque hay muchos reviews y links ahí. Pero no habrá muñecas en stock y los precios son más caros. ¡Así que a seguirnos en Instagram en @walloyamorring!



Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
Yup, there is a little more about my history of doll making. When I created my first Tarsier I wanted to make additional heads for him to change his emotions and it could make playing with him more interesting. It was 3 options to do it - reassemble the doll each time, use a hook inside the head and faceplates on magnets. But I don't like it and I made up a magnetic system when you can change a whole head easily. It was so great idea that even Olga Bekreeva and other artists took it to their dolls.
And I allowed customers to generate lots of head options for Tarsiers and kittens. It was possible thanks to preorder form on the website there you can choose horns, ears, mouth and shape of the eyelids. It took me a huge of time to prepare these heads each time for printing, so I had to reject this idea. So, don't make unlimited options of anything!
In 2017 I created Dexter - the first magnet-jointed doll (MJD), it’s assembled with magnets. Somehow no one uses magnets instead of elastic in BJD pets but it's very useful, they aren't so flexible how BJDs are and you needn't pull the elastic when its tension loosens. I make my MJDs in cartoon style and I think they are so funny, aren't they?
I love making dolls especially sculpting them on my computer. I'm looking for new ideas, always learning and having new experiences. This year there will be lots of new creations, so I do need your support! Follow me and my project on social pages! It'll be interesting!
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Sí, hay algo más sobre mi historia de hacer muñecas. Cuando creé mi primer Tarsier, quería hacer cabezas para él para cambiar las emociones, de forma que jugar fuera más interesante. Había tres opciones rearmar la muñeca cada vez, usar un gancho en la cabeza y hacer faceplates con imanes. Pero no me gustaba e hice un sistema magnético en el que puedes cambiar toda la cabeza de forma muy sencilla. Fue una idea tan genial que incluso Olga Bekreeva y otros artistas la implementaron.
Y les permití a los clientes tener muchas cabezas para los Tarsiers y los gatitos. Fue posible gracias al formulario de encargo en el sitio web, donde se podía elegir cuernos, orejas, boca y forma de los ojos. Me llevó mucho tiempo preparar estas cabezas cada vez para imprimirlo, así que deseché esta idea. ¡No hagan opciones ilimitadas para nada!
En 2017 creé a Dexter, la primera muñeca articulada con imanes (MJD). De alguna forma, nadie usa imanes en lugar de cuerda para las mascotas BJDs, pero es muy útil, especialmente porque son igualmente flexibles y no tienes que sacar el elástico cuando la tensión se afloja. Hago mis MJD en estilo caricatura y creo que son graciosas ¿no les parece?
Me encanta hacer muñecas, especialmente modelarlas en mi computadora. Siempre busco por nuevas ideas, siempre aprendiendo y teniendo nuevas experiencias. ¡Este año va a haber muchas creaciones nuevas, así que necesito su apoyo! ¡Sigan mi proyecto en las redes sociales! ¡Va a ser interesante!


Thank you so much for doing the interview! It was a pleasure!
Thank you a lot for your invitation again. It was interesting to me answering these good questions. I tried to be short and not going to detail because it can be endless interview! I hope it's interesting to the readers and if they'd like to know more on some object - so I'll be glad to see you again! Have a wonderful day!
¡Muchas gracias por la entrevista! ¡Fue un placer!
Muchas gracias por tu invitación. Fue interesante responder a estas buenas preguntas. Intenté ser concisa y no desviarme en detalles ¡porque sería una entrevista interminable! Espero que haya sido interesante para los lectores, y si les gustaría saber algo más ¡me encantaría verlos de nuevo! ¡Tengan un lindo día!



And this is all for today! I hope you enjoyed this interview as much as I did! Feel free to share the link but do not repost the interview. Ask me first if you want to translate it to another language.

And if you want to get a lovely companion for your dolls, do check Walloya Morring sites:

8 comments :

  1. Great interview! I love Walloya Morring's work. I've spent time on her Etsy site marveling at her little creatures. The only reason I don't have one yet is that I can't decide which one to buy first. I should have guessed she had worked with Eve the Cat because I see that influence on her own creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the foxes are lovely, and the cats as well!
      Her creatures look so unique, honestly! :D

      Delete
  2. Thanks for doing this interview. Her pets are have so much personality, and I think Walloya has a great sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed!! I really like them, I love that Cerberus honestly!

      Delete
  3. Great interview, have not heard about Walloya Morring! I like the different creatures she makes. Headheel and Skeleton, such adorable ones! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help you know more artists!
      The Skeleton is also so cute, right?

      Delete
  4. Amazing works! I love all the creatures she creates.

    ReplyDelete