Sunday 31 May 2020

Interview with Clockwork Faery

Hello everybody, it is time for another interview! Let me introduce you to Hadassa from Clockwork Faery Co. I am personally in mighty need of a cutesy doll, and hers are just adorable. I hope you will like this interview! All images are used with permission.

So without further ado, let's start!


Hello! Thank you for doing this interview! Will you introduce yourself to the readers?
Hello there! It’s a pleasure to be part of this interview. Thank you so much for having me. My name is Hadassa, and I am a doll maker and owner of Clockwork Faery. I currently live in Japan, but I am originally from Brazil.
¡Hola! ¡Muchas gracias por hacer esta entrevista! ¿Te presentarías con los lectores?
¡Hola! Es un gran placer ser parte de esta entrevista. Muchas gracias por invitarme. Mi nombre es Hadassa, soy una creadora de muñecas y dueña de Clockwork Faery. Actualmente vivo en Japón, pero soy originalmente de Brasil.



How did you find out about BJDs and the doll hobby?
Since I was a little kid, I always loved dolls like barbies and anime character dolls, I loved giving them personalities, characteristics and worlds they could live into, truthfully even after growing up I never stopped loving them. I only found out about BJDs though when I was in university back in Brazil. I was majoring Fashion Design and discovered about BJDs online, it was a huge inspiration for me and I was so in love with the beautiful aesthetics and unique aspects that BJDs have, but the fact they can be so customizable was one of the things that drew me in the most. At the time I couldn’t afford to buy one, but I kept dreaming about it for years.
¿Cómo conociste a las BJDs y encontraste este hobby?
Desde que era niña siempre me encantaron las muñecas como las Barbies y de animé, y me encantaba darles personalidades, características y mundos en los que pudieran vivir. En verdad, aún creciendo, nunca dejé de adorarlas. Encontré las BJDs cuando estaba en la universidad en Brasil. Estaba haciendo carrera de Diseño de Modas, y encontré las BJDs online. Fueron una gran inspiración para mí, y estaba tan enamorada de la estética y sus aspectos únicos que tienen las BJDs. Pero el hecho que son personalizables fue una de las cosas que más me atrapó. En ese momento, no podía permitirme comprar una, pero seguí soñando por años.



And then, what pushed you to start ClockworkFaeryCo? What aesthetic do you pursue?
Even before I got my Fashion Design degree and even though I still didn’t had my first BJD to begin with, I already had dreams and plans for opening an online shop where I could sell clothes and accessories for them that I envisioned to create. But by the time I graduated, by the end of 2010, I was embarking in one of my biggest journeys that changed not only my life but also my view of the world as I moved to Canada, so my dreams towards my BJD clothes shop had to be put on hold.
As soon as I settled in Vancouver, I got my first BJD and found a local BJD community which I had joined. When I received my first BJD it was such a magical moment, an overwhelming joy and before I knew it, I also fell in love with the community as I met the most sweet and wonderful people. It took me many years to actually open my shop, at first I was only able to work with BJD clothes commissions and most of the time, I only made clothes for my own BJDs whenever I had time between studying English, working in an ESL school’s marketing and then later as a sales person.
Over the years, as I collected BJDs, what I loved the most was to give life to the personas that inhabit the worlds created in my mind, but as I pursued such personas with their specific features and characteristics, fantasy fairy-tale like creatures, I came to realize that I wouldn’t be able to find it unless I created them myself, drawing or writing about them wasn’t enough. I had this urge to give life to them in a tangible way.
It was only later on, when I studied Visual Effects for Movies, where I discovered about 3D modeling and which soon enough became another passion of mine, that I knew it was the means to what I was looking for so I could give life to my creations that urged to be let out into this world. Even though I didn’t learn much about 3D modeling during the course I started to learn more about it from Youtube and online tutorials. I started to create my first doll, Fae, in 2014 before I had to leave Canada.
Y luego, ¿qué te llevó a empezar ClockworkFaeryCo? ¿Qué estética te gusta mostrar?
Incluso antes de mi carrera en Diseño de Moda, e incluso cuando aún no tenía mi primera BJD, ya tenía sueños de abrir una tienda online donde pudiera vender ropa y accesorios para ellas que imaginaba crear. Pero para el momento que me gradué, al final de 2010, me estaba embarcando en una de mis más grandes viajes que iba a cambiar mi vida y mi visión del mundo mientras me mudaba a Canadá. Así que mis sueños de una tienda de ropa de BJDs tuvieron que ponerse en espera.
Cuando me acomodé en Vancouver, me compré mi primera BJD, y encontré una comunidad local a la que me uní. Cuando la recibí, fue un momento realmente mágico y cargado de alegría, y antes de que lo supiera, también con la comunidad, dado que conocí gente muy dulce y maravillosa. Me llevó muchos años realmente poder abrir mi tienda, y sólo era capaz de trabajar en comisiones de ropa de BJD. Sólo hacía ropa para mis propias BJDs cuando tenía tiempo entre estudiar inglés, trabajar en una escuela de marketing, y luego como vendedora.
Con los años, mientras coleccionaba BJDs, lo que más adoraba era dar vida a las personas que habitaban los mundos que creaba en mi mente, pero mientras perseguía esas personas de rasgos y características especiales, como de cuentos de hadas, me dí cuenta que no las encontraría a no ser que las creara yo misma, ya que dibujar o escribir no era suficiente. Tenía esta urgente de tenerlas en una forma tangible.
Fue luego, cuando estudié Efectos Visuales para Películas, que descubrí el modelado 3D y pronto se convirtió en otra pasión mía. Ahí supe que era el medio que estaba buscando para poder darle vida a mis creaciones y poder traerlas a este mundo. Incluso cuando no aprendí mucho de modelado 3D durante ese curso, comencé a aprender más por YouTube y tutoriales online. Luego comencé a crear mi primera muñeca Fae, en 2014 antes de tener que dejar Canadá.



Your dolls are lovely and cute and have Blythe-like proportions. What are your artist goals with that?
Thank you so much! From a young age I loved drawing big headed girls (the ones called “chibi” from animes) and I think it only grew from there, even more after discovering blythes, pullips and BJDs. I love how much expression and personality big headed dolls have, I feel these are characteristics particularly unique of them, not only that but the cutesy sweet factor that I love so very much. But I also adore the beautiful and functional aspects of BJDs, the elegant lines, delicate features, how lovely resin feels and looks, and how customizable they are. I wanted to bring the aspects I loved the most from both worlds to give life to my little magical sprites from my own fantasy realm.
Tus muñecas son adorables y tienen proporciones similares a las Blythe. ¿Cuáles son tus metas de artista respecto a ellas?
¡Muchas gracias! Desde muy joven me encantaba dibujar chicas cabezonas (las llamadas “chibi” de los animés), y creo que creció desde ahí, incluso antes de descubrir Blythes, Pullips y BJDs. Adoro mucho la expresión y personalidad de las muñecas cabezonas, y siento que esas son características particularmente únicas en ellas, no sólo el factor adorable que tanto me gusta. También adoro los aspectos funcionales de las BJDs, las líneas elegantes, las características delicadas, cuán linda se siente la resina, y lo personalizables que son. Quería traer los aspectos que más me gustaban de ambos mundos, para poder darle vida a mis pequeñas haditas de mi propio mundo de fantasía.



ClockworkFaery sounds as mix of fairies and steampunk! How did you select the name of your brand?
My brand is all about fantasy and magical beings so I knew I wanted something fairy like related, but I was honestly struggling to find a suitable name that I was pleased with. It was when Fae, the first doll I ever made, gave me the inspiration for the name. I always have a story for my dolls’s characters and Fae was no exception. Fae lives in a Victorian Era fantasy steampunk inspired world, where magic and steampunk technology collides.
She is a fairy that due to a tragedy loses what she loves the most, the ability to fly, but with a lot of hard work and persistence she is able to build mechanical wings after many years of trials and errors. Fae is very special to me as she is the first doll I ever made and her story is linked from my own experiences and my health conditions. So my brand name emerged from Fae’s story and the notion of time as well. Our lives are like Clockwork, moving forward each second, but it’s up to us to fight for what we envision and dream, even when life’s hardships get in the way again and again:

Just like clockwork, our lives passes by
Just like clockwork, we are bound to time
But as unique as we are we choose to fly
High up above the sky
The freedom to choose, to love,
to dream... To be who we are
Is what pushes us so far
¡ClockworkFaery suena como una mezcla de hadas y steampunk! ¿Cómo elegiste el nombre de tu marca?
Mi marca es todo de fantasía y seres mágicos, así que quería algo que estuviera relacionado a las hadas, pero realmente tenía dificultades con encontrar un nombre adecuado que me gustara. Fue cuando Fae, la primera muñeca que hice, me dio la inspiración para el nombre. Siempre tuve una historia para los personajes de mis muñecas, y Fae no era la excepción. Ella vive en una era Victoriana de fantasía en un mundo steampunk, donde la magia y la tecnología steampunk van de la mano.
Ella es un hada que debido a una tragedia pierde lo que más adoraba: su habilidad de volar, pero con mucho trabajo y persistencia, es capaz de construir alas mecánicas, luego de muchos años de prueba y error. Fae es muy especial para mí, dado que es la primera muñeca que hice, y su historia está ligada a mis propias experiencias y mi condición de salud. Así que el nombre de mi marca salió de la historia de Fae y la noción del tiempo. Nuestras vidas son como un reloj, moviéndose cada segundo, pero depende de nosotros luchar por lo que soñamos, incluso cuando las durezas de la vida se meten en nuestro camino, una y otra vez:

Justo como un reloj, nuestras vidas pasan
Justo como un reloj, estamos ligados al tiempo
Pero así de únicos como somos, elegimos volar
Muy alto en el cielo
La libertad de elegir, de amar
De soñar… nos lleva a ser quienes somos
Es lo que nos empuja muy lejos



For now, you have two sculptures, sharing the same body. What are your plans moving forward?
The next sculpture I would like to release is Fae, I have been currently working hard on remaking her as I wasn’t pleased with how she turned out to be in my first attempt. I am finally pleased with how she is currently turning out to be so I am hopeful that I can release her this year if things get better with the current worldwide situation. Even though she is a magical creature from the same fantasy world, her proportions are quite different compared to the dolls I have released so far. Much smaller head, more young adult like features and 1/4 scale size. I am also working on another little big-headed sprite that is going to have the same body type and size as Moriko and Alice, but with Unicorn features. Truthfully I have so many characters in my head I hope to bring to life. But for now, I am focusing on these two.
Por ahora, tienes dos moldes, compartiendo el mismo cuerpo. ¿Cuáles son tus planes en el futuro?
El siguiente molde que quiero sacar es Fae, porque he estado trabajando muy duro en rehacerla, ya que no me gustaba cómo había terminado con mi primer intento. Finalmente estoy contenta como cómo luce por ahora, así que espero poder sacarla este año si las cosas van mejor con la situación mundial. Incluso siendo una criatura mágica del mismo mundo de fantasía, sus proporciones son un poco diferentes de las muñecas que he sacado. Una cabeza más pequeña, un cuerpo más de adulto joven, y tamaño 1/4. También estoy trabajando en otra hadita cabezona que tiene el mismo cuerpo que Moriko y Alice, pero con características de unicornio. La verdad es que tengo tantos personajes en mi cabeza que quiero traer a la vida. Por ahora me enfoco en estas dos.



What is your workflow? Do you do everything by yourself?
Usually I have the characters in my mind for a very long time until I have the time to bring them to life. Sometimes I go directly to 3D Modeling and sometimes I prefer to sketch them first. After giving them shape and when I am pleased with the overall look, I start working on the joint system studying how best it can work trying to balance the aesthetics with the pose-ability. I still need to improve a lot, but little by little I hope I can with each creation.
After the prototype is ready I send it for casting while I work on making the clothes, accessories and other aspects that represents them in my mind. As I release pre-orders every 3 months and I am a one-person company I also have to balance the previous pre-order with the current pre-order and the making of new sculptures.
So while the dolls are being casted I need to work on the pre-ordered clothes and new items, suede, sand and restringing the dolls from the previous pre-order and preparing and shipping the dolls to the new owners as well as to the faceup artists.
I am very lucky to work with two very wonderful and sweet faceup artists Mikiyochii and Mayakdolls which are not only amazingly talented but also amazing people as well. All the while there is also customer service, packaging, photo shooting, website management, preparation for new pre-order themes, working with supplies and suppliers, preparation and shipping of items, etc.
¿Cuál es tu flujo de trabajo? ¿Haces todo por tu cuenta?
Usualmente, tengo los personajes en mi cabeza por un largo tiempo, hasta que tengo el tiempo para traerlos a la vida. A veces voy directamente al modelado 3D y a veces prefiero dibujarlos primero. Luego de darles forma, y cuando estoy contento con la forma general, comienzo a trabajar en las articulaciones, estudiando como puedo balancear la estética con la habilidad de poses. Aún necesito mejorar mucho, pero poco a poco, espero que puedo mejorar con cada creación.
Luego de que el prototipo está listo, lo envío a castear mientras que trabajo en la ropa, accesorios y otros aspectos que necesitan. Dado que saco encargos cada 3 meses, y soy una compañía de una sola persona, tengo que balancear el encargo anterior con el actual, mientras hago nuevos moldes.
Así que mientras las muñecas están siendo casteadas, tengo que trabajar en la ropa encargada, nuevos ítems, sueding, lijar, y tensar las muñecas del encargo anterior, prepararlas para enviarlas a los nuevos dueños y artistas de maquillaje.
Soy muy afortunada de trabajar con dos adorables artistas Mikiyochii y Mayakdolls, que no sólo tienen mucho talento, pero también son excelentes personas. Todo esto al mismo tiempo que hago atención al cliente, empacado, sacar fotos, manejar el sitio web, prepararme para el nuevo encargo, trabajar con los proveedores, preparar cosas para enviar, etc.





Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
I would like to thank everyone, who are interested in my work, for your lovely support and kindness. I feel so grateful to be part of such wonderful community and for having the most marvelous customers I could ever wish for. If my work can bring a little bit of joy and comfort to such wonderful people then I would be very happy.
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Me gustaría agradecerles a todos los que están interesados en mi trabajo, por su apoyo y amabilidad. Me siento tan agradecida de ser parte de una comunidad tan increíble y por tener los clientes más maravillosos que podría soñar. Si mi trabajo puede traerles un poco de alegría y comfort a gente tan maravillosa, entonces estaré muy feliz.


Thank you for doing the interview!
Thank you so much for the opportunity! I am so glad to be part of this interview and I would also like to thank those who have read this interview so far. Wishing everyone a wonderful day and be safe!
¡Gracias por hacer la entrevista!
¡Muchas gracias por darme la oportunidad! Estoy muy contenta de ser parte de esta entrevista, y también me gustaría agradecerles a aquellos que leen esta entrevista. Les deseo un hermoso día y que se mantengan a salvo.




So this is all for today! I hope you really liked this interview, and if you want to find Clockwork Fairy Co here are some links where you can find her: Feel free to share the link the interview, but please do not repost it. If you want to translate it about another language, let me know. And this is all! Hope you like it, and see you in the next post :D

12 comments :

  1. Another maker of lovely dolls I've never run across before--I really need to spend more time exploring online. Hadassa's big-headed girls are adorable, but the one that best fits my aesthetic is the slim fairy with the more adult proportions. Is that Fae? I love her. If she is the one being reworked for sale, I'll make a note to myself to look for her. She's perfect for my collection. Please don't stop doing interviews, Musume, because these are very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she is the one being reworked!! I'm happy that you like the interviews :3

      Delete
  2. Thumbs up! I like really these dolls M, thanks for sharing all the info and doing the interview.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them as well!
      Happy that you liked the interview <3

      Delete
  3. These are such pretty dolls and the outfits are gorgeous. I wish Clockwork Faery Co all the very best of luck in her future endeavours :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are!! I hope I can bring home one of her dolls!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for another great interview. Oh my, they are so cute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I know, they are adorable <3

      Delete
  5. Your interviews are always so intrested and inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful interview and beautiful dolls from a new to me artist. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are!! Happy you liked the interview <3

      Delete