Sunday 11 April 2021

Interview with SpiritImprint!

Hello everybody! New month, new interview! Please, welcome Anna from SpiritImprint! You probably know her because of the amazing She Is a Dragon. As always, the interview is in English and Spanish, and all the photos are used with permission. Let´s start!

Hello! Thank you for doing this interview! Will you introduce yourself to the readers?
Hello! My name is Anna and I am known as CrowBlackJay. I am a doll author from Russia.
¡Hola! ¡Gracias por hacer la entrevista! ¿Te presentarías a los lectores?
¡Hola! Mi nombre es Anna, y me conocen como CrowBlackJay. Soy una autora de muñecas de Rusia.



How did you find out about BJDs and the doll hobby?
My path to the BJD was multi-stage.
I first learned about BJD dolls in 2005. My sister showed me the author's section of well-known in Russia web-portal. This direction in creativity was a great discovery for me, in particular, I was struck by the variety of materials and techniques: baked plastic, air-cured plastic, Flumo casting plastic and, of course, noble porcelain. But it so happened that at that moment I was more focused on my work and family. Therefore, the matter was limited to admiration, but I saved the links.
Somehow, by chance, I returned to a dolls already in 2010. And this time I was really hooked. I saw a lot of new authors and styles. This inspired me and I had a little more free time for good luck. I decided to just try to make my own doll out of LaDoll out of curiosity to understand how it works. The first doll was rather a sketch and has remained so to this days. Due to the hard move, I again postponed the dolls, but continued to collect links to articles and tips on sculpting articulated dolls, creating wigs, eyes and everything related to them.
I took BJD seriously already in 2016. My work involved some knowledge of 3D modeling and when I started to master it my passion for sculpting returned.
¿Cómo conociste el hobby de las BJDs y otras muñecas?
Mi camino hacia las BJDs tuvo muchas etapas.
Primero las conocí en 2005. Mi hermana m mostró la sección de un autor muy conocido de Rusia. Esta dirección en creatividad fue un gran descubrimiento para mí. En particular, me sorprendió la variedad de materiales y técnicas: plástico horneado, plástico curado, plástico Flumo casteado y, por supuesto, porcelana noble. Pero sucedió que en ese momento estaba más centrada en mi trabajo y familia. Así que el asunto se limitó a admiración, pero guardé los links.
De alguna forma, en 2010, retorné a las muñecas. Esta vez, estaba muy enganchada. Vi muchos estilos y nuevos autores. Eso me inspiró y tenía un poco más de tiempo para buena suerte. La primera muñeca fue realmente un bosquejo y sigue así hasta hoy día. Debido a lo difícil de mudarme, pospuse las muñecas pero continué almacenando enlaces y tutoriales en cómo modelar muñecas articuladas, creando pelucas ojos y todo lo relacionado con ellas.
Me tomé las BJD en serio en 2016. Mi trabajo requería algo de conocimiento de modelado 3D, y ahí fue cuando comencé a masterizarlo y mi pasión por el modelado regresó.



And then, what pushed you to start SpiritImprint? What aesthetic do you pursue?
When I decided to seriously engage in BJD, I followed to the principle of "create something that does not exist yet or that which I see in a special way." I rushed from idea to idea, but refused them. They didn't catch me. After a couple of months strengthening my 3D modeling skills I pulled myself together. At some point, a character came to mind - dragoness. She aspired to be created and I could not refuse. I just had no doubt - this is what I want!
As for the aesthetics of the dolls I create. Here I stick to my desire to create something touching and friend. And of course, the doll's ability to assume graceful and relaxed postures is one of the goals. I love the challenge from an engineering point of view. The balance between mobility and visual harmony. Perfectly working, gently moving joints and good pose holding - I am obsessed with finding the best solutions.
The idea behind the name is the concept of "Imprint" - this is how the newly appeared nestling are attached to the first creature that they see. And that's what I meant in this title. But I was thinking about affection in both directions. Just like I suddenly and forever fell in love with my first character. And how in the end it will inevitably happen to someone else in relation to my dolls-creatures and they will find loving homes.
Y luego, ¿qué te impulsó a empezar SpiritImprint? ¿Qué estética estabas buscando?
Cuando decidí meterme de lleno con las BJD seguí la idea de “crear algo especial que no exista o que yo vea de una forma especial”. Así que corrí de idea a idea, pero las rechacé. No me atrapaban. Luego de un par de meses de mejorar mis habilidades de modelado 3D, me rearmé. En algún punto, un personaje vino a mi mente: una dragona. Ella aspiraba a ser creada y no me pude rehusar. No tenía dudas: ¡ella era lo que quería!
Respecto a la estética que busco. Aquí me apego a mi deseo de crear algo que conmueva y que sea amigable. Y por supuesto, la habilidad de la muñeca de tener poses de mucha gracia, y relajadas, que es una de mis metas. Me encanta el desafío desde el punto de vista ingenieril. El balance entre movilidad y harmonía visual. Trabajando perfectamente, movimiento suavemente las articulaciones y manteniendo las poses. Me obsesiona encontrar las mejores soluciones.
La idea detrás dl nombre es el concepto de “Imprimir”. Esto es como los nuevos nacidos se adosan a la primera criatura que ven. Y eso fue lo que pensaba con este título. Así como me enamoré con mi primer personaje. Y como al final le pasará, inevitablemente, a cada uno con mis muñecas-criaturas que encuentren lindos hogares.



Your dolls are amazing, especially She Is A Dragon. What are your artist goals?
Thank you! As I said, this is my first character with whom I had that moment of imprinting. It just surfaced in my mind, I sketched it right away and since then the image has not changed much. I already knew what it would be like. A graceful wingless dragon with the grace of deer, she has something from giraffes, from horses and from a human. Initially, there was a hornless version, but horns appeared by popular demand.
It was not easy to create her. I did BJD as if for the first time. In 3D I had to rethink a lot that I knew before about engineering solutions for joints. Something had to be greatly redone several times before I decided to send it to casting. I've made all sorts of mistakes, but this harsh school of lots of different joints and stoppers taught me a lot. I know exactly what mistakes I won't make anymore: D
I had to reveal it to the light and here she is. And I am very grateful to everyone who paid attention to it. And I am grateful to her.
Tus muñecas son increíbles, especialmente “Ella es una Dragona”. ¿Cuáles son tus objetivos?
¡Gracias! Como dije, es el primer personaje con el cual me imprimí. Salió de mi mente, y lo dibujé ahí mismo, y desde entonces no ha cambiado demasiado. Ya sabía cómo podía ser. Una dragona de mucha gracia, sin alas, con la elegancia de un venado, tiene algo de jirafas, hasta caballos y de humana. Inicialmente, había una versión sin cuernos, pero esos llegaron por demanda popular.
Crearla no fue sencillo. Hice una BJD por primera vez. En 3D, tenía que repensar mucho sobre lo que quería antes de armar las soluciones para las articulaciones. Algo tenía que estar rehecho varias veces antes de decidirme a castearlo. Cometí muchos errores, pero esta escuela de múltiples errores y frenos me enseñó mucho. Ahora sé exactamente qué errores no volveré a cometer :D
Tengo que revelarla a la luz, y aquí está. Estoy muy agradecida a todos los que le han prestado atención y a ella también.



For now, you have two sculptures. What are your plans moving forward?
In fact, there are even three of them. In addition to She is a Dragon and Elf Girl, there are also wolf cubs. In the near future, there is still an adult wolf(so far in the size of 1/5). In the further plans, there is also a male Elf and possibly an Elf girl in a larger format.
Por ahora, tienes dos moldes. ¿Cuáles son tus planes de aquí en adelante?
De hecho, son tres. Además de “Es Una Dragona” y “Chica Elfa”, también tengo dos cachorros de lobos. En el futuro cercano, también hay un lobo adulto (por ahora en el tamaño de 1/5). En planes futuros, también hay un elfo hombre y una elfa en tamaño más grande.


What is your workflow? Do you do everything by yourself?
I develop and modify the prototypes myself completely. Now I print them on my 3D printer. Then I do the sanding and priming work. I delegate casting to masters of this work. Professionally executed castings are very important to me. I have worked with different companies and different degrees of processing are required before assembly. Sometimes I clean the seams on every part myself, if the company does not clean the seams. Sometimes reworking of drilled channels is required. I always glue metal bars and magnets myself, I make hooks of non-standard sizes. I also make sure to suede the dolls using my own technology.
Little by little I try myself at face-ups and making wigs. So far, there is not enough time for development in this direction, but I hope more time will appear in the future. I tried collaboration with a wonderful eye master @darkgreysea for Elf girls. I have absolutely no idea how to create more lively eyes! I am looking for a dressmaker for my girls, since I myself do not sew at all. Somehow I didn't manage to love this work since childhood.
¿Cuál es tu flujo de trabajo? ¿Haces todo por tu cuenta?
Desarrollo y modifico los prototipos yo misma, completamente. Luego los imprimo en 3D en mi impresora. Luego hago el lijado y alisado. Delego el casteo a maestros de este trabajo. Casteos ejecutados profesionalmente son muy importantes para mí. He trabajado con diferentes compañías y diferentes grados de procesamiento se requieren antes de unificar algo. Si la compañía no limpia las costuras. A veces también se requiere calar los canales. Siempre pego las barras de metal y los imanes yo misma, haciendo ganchos de tamaños no estándar. También me aseguro de colocar el suede usando mi propia tecnología. Poco a poco me he probado con los maquillajes y las pelucas. Por ahora, no tengo suficiente tiempo para desarrollar en esta dirección, pero espero tener más en el futuro. Intenté colaborar con @darkgreysea para los ojos para la “Chica Elfa”. ¡No tenía idea de cómo crear ojos más bonitos! Estoy buscando una costurera para mis chicas, dado que no coso para nada. De alguna forma, nunca me las arreglé para que ese trabajo me guste.



Thank you for doing the interview!
Thanks for the interview! I am only at the beginning of my journey, but it was quite a long way and I would not have come that far without the support of my audience. So I want to say a big thank you to everyone who supports me on this path!
¡Gracias por hacer la entrevista!
¡Gracias por la entrevista! Sólo estoy al inicio de mi jornada, pero fue un camino largo y no habría llegado hasta aquí de no ser por el apoyo de mi audiencia. ¡Así que quiero darle las gracias a todos los que me apoyan y quieren que siga en este camino!




And that's all for today! You can find SpiritImprint on the following places: Feel free to share the link to the interview, but do not repost it! It takes a lot of work to organise these. I hope you liked this one! :d

4 comments :

  1. Oh, the girl is beautiful! I never heard of them before, thanks for doing the interview. Maybe I should send her the dog idea :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is! And yeah, I definitely think you should send her that idea!

      Delete
  2. Love the dragons and wolf cubs! This is a new artist for me too, great interview!

    ReplyDelete