Sunday 4 July 2021

Interview with Koala Krash

Hello everyone! A new month is here, and it is time for another interview. Please, welcome Clem, aka Koala Krash for the interview! She is a very versatile faceup artist, that I´m sure you will drool over the faceups she produces. As always, all images are used with permission, and you can read this in English and Spanish.

Hello and thank you for doing the interview! Would you introduce yourself to our readers?
Hey there! Thanks a lot for interviewing me. My name’s Clem, but I go by Koala Krash online. I collect resin and vinyl ball jointed dolls. For the past few years, I’ve been working as a full-time doll make-up artist. I’m really grateful for how it turned out, and look forward to keep improving the quality of my work!
¡Hola y gracias por aceptar la entrevista! ¿Te introducirías a los lectores?
¡Hola ahí! Muchas gracias por entrevistarme. Mi nombre es Clem, pero me conocen como Koala Krash online. Colecciono muñecas de resina y vinilo. Durante los últimos años he estado trabajando como una artista de maquillaje de muñecas a tiempo completo. Estoy muy agradecida por cómo resultó todo, y espero seguir mejorando la calidad de mi trabajo.



You have a Fine Arts title! How did you find about BJDs? Did you started painting them right away?
I was lucky to start studying and practicing arts early (as a teenager) and it eventually led me to the Beaux Arts school, majoring in photography and painting. I opened the Pandora’s box of collectible dolls as teenager. At that time, dolls were really niche in France—except maybe for famous brands like Barbie and other fashion dolls. I wasn’t especially interested in dolls at first, but I was instead really fascinated by the underground music scene and culture of the time. And through this, I discovered companies such as Bleeding Edge Goth, Little Apple Dolls, and Living Dead Dolls, that had strong goth/rock aesthetics. They were nice collectible items, but I wasn’t yet into doll customization and repaint at that point. Pullip dolls are what really got me there; they were still produced by Jun Planning at the time. Even though their full-sets were amazing, what interested me the most in Pullip was their potential as a blank medium to work on. So, one thing led to another, and I quickly ended up discovering the whole range of blank resin and vinyl Ball Jointed Dolls, and it was love at first sight. I purchased my first BJD in 2006, a Lahoo from Dream of Dolls! Information wasn’t as accessible as it is nowadays, and I was able to get the grip of it thanks to the French forum Matériel Celeste, and local events such as the Paris Fashion Doll Festival. My first BJD was really intimidating (and expensive!), so I went with the factory make-up. But I very soon got an itch to play around with that… So for my second one (a Cerberus Project/Luts Shiwoo), I got it blank and painted it myself.
¡Tienes un título de Arte! ¿Cómo conociste a las BJDs? ¿Empezaste a maquillar de inmediato?
Estaba contenta de empezar a estudiar y practicar artes a una etapa temprana, como adolescente, y eventualmente me llevó a la escuela de Bellas Artes, con un título en fotografía y pintura. De adolescente abrí la caja de Pandora de las muñecas coleccionables. En ese momento, eran realmente un nicho en Francia, excepto por algunas marcas famosas como Barbie y otras muñecas de moda. Al principio no estaba particularmente interesada en las muñecas, pero lo que me gustaba era la escena de música y cultura de la época. Y a través de esto, descubrí tiendas como Bleeding Edge Goth, Little Apple Dolls, y Living Dead Dolls que tenían una estética goth/rock. Eran lindos objetos coleccionables, pero aún no estaba en personalizar muñecas y repintarlas. Las Pullips son lo que me llevaron ahí. Aún eran producidas por Jun Planning en ese momento. Incluso cuando los fullsets eran increíbles, lo que más me interesaba era el potencial como un medio blanco para trabajar. Así que una cosa llevó a la otra, y rápidamente terminé descubriendo todo el rango de resina en blanco y muñecas de vinilo, y me enamoré a primera vista. Compré mi primera BJD en 2006’’una Lahoo de Dream of Dolls. No había información accesible en esa época, y fui capaz de acceder a la mayoría a través del foro francés Material Celeste, y eventos locales como el Paris Fashion Doll Festival. Mi primera BJD fue realmente intimidante (¡y cara!), así que me decidí por un maquillaje por defecto. Pero muy rápidamente me dio ganas de jugar con eso, y para mi segunda )una Cerberus Project-Luts Shiwoo) la compré en blanco y la pinté yo misma.



Your face-ups are amazing and varied! How did you started offering face-ups commissions? Do you work with commission slots?
Thanks, I try my best to keep things varied! Like many BJD collectors, I started painting dolls with the idea of creating my very own characters. Since I was already deeply invested into arts at that point of my life, it quickly became a natural extension of my painting work, extending my sketching and canvas painting onto a 3D, “playable” medium. Today, my doll make-ups tend to remain pretty heavy *laugh*, with many layers to give them a life-like look and depth to the skin, a lot of texture, and highlights around the lips and eyes. I do not aim for perfect “factory” dream-like beauty make-ups. Most of my make-ups are a bit messy, with asymmetric details and graphic highlights. I really try to convey emotions, and a feeling of liveliness to the characters I paint. I started offering make-up services to my friends in the French community because they were interested in it. But slowly, somehow, it started to grow, and at some point, strangers contacted me, asking if I’d paint their dolls too. I thought it was a bit strange at that time, but why not? Thanks to this, I was eventually able to progress (a lot, happily), and develop what is now my own painting style. These days, I do work with commissions slots. Admissions are mainly always open, except when my waiting list is too crowded or when I’m off in vacations. People either contact me directly to discuss their projects if they’re having doubts or hesitations on some details, or directly fill-up a commission form on my website. After a quick debrief, if we both feel comfortable to launch the project, they get the doll shipped to my workshop. Once the doll is here, I put it on the waiting list, which is usually moving pretty quickly since it’s my full-time job
¡Tus maquillajes son increíbles y muy variados! ¿Cómo empezaste a ofrecer comisiones? ¿Trabajas con espacios fijos?
¡Gracias, intento mantener la variedad! Como muchos coleccionistas de BJDs, empecé pintando muñecas con la idea de crear mis propios personajes. Dado que ya estaba muy entusiasmada con las artes en ese punto de mi vida, esto sucedió como una extensión natural de mi trabajo de pintura, extendiendo mi lienzo para bosquejos a pintar en un medio en 3D con el que se puede jugar. Hoy, los maquillajes de mis muñecas suelen seguir siendo muy pesados *se ríe*, con muchas capas para darle una apariencia real y con textura en la piel, mucha textura, y luces en los ojos y boca. No busco tener una belleza perfecta de fábrica. La mayoría de mis maquillajes son un poco ruidosos, con detalles asimétricos y luces gráficas. Realmente intento ponerle emociones, y un sentimiento de vida a los personajes que pinto. Comencé a ofrecer servicios de maquillaje a mis amigos en la comunidad francesa, porque estaban interesados en eso. Pero de a poco, de alguna forma, comencé a crecer y desconocidos me contactaron preguntando si pintaría sus muñecas. Creí que era un poco raro, pero ¿por qué no? Gracias a esto, fui capaz de progresar (mucho, felizmente) y desarrollarme en lo que ahora es mi estilo propio. Estos días, trabajo con espacios de encargo. Las admisiones están generalmente abiertas, excepto cuando mi lista de espera está demasiado cargada o estoy de vacaciones. La gente me contacta directo para discutir sus proyectos si están dudando sobre algunos detalles, o rellenan mi formulario de pedido en el sitio web. Luego de una charla, si ambos estamos conformes con el proyecto, me envían la muñeca. Cuando está acá, la pongo en lista de espera. Esto usualmente se mueve rápido, dado que es mi trabajo de tiempo completo.



Do you have a workplace to share with us? How do you organize to do face-ups?
My workshop consists in a small room, with a huge desk and a lot of storage, nothing to write home about to be honest. The most important feature in my eyes is the lighting of the room -there’s nothing like working with natural daylight. The long, North oriented windows, are absolutely perfect for my work, it gives a neutral, sweeping, indirect light almost all day long. My Anime dolls and figures collection are brightening up the place and cheering me up. Maybe I should make these fake office group pics with them…
¿Tienes un espacio de trabajo para compartir con nosotros? ¿Cómo te organizas para hacer maquillajes?
Mi espacio de trabajo consiste en una pequeña habitación, con un gran escritorio y algo de espacio, nada sobre lo cual escribir al respecto. Lo más importante es la iluminación. No hay nada como trabajar con luz natural. Las ventanas enormes, orientadas al norte, son absolutamente perfectas para mi trabajo, y le da una luz neutral e indirecta casi todo el día. Mis colecciones de figuras de animé y muñecas iluminan el lugar y me animan mucho. Quizás debería hacer fotos falsas de oficina con ellas…



And what about your own personal doll collection? Do you have a favorite size or brand?
Clearly, I really have a thing for bigger models! I’m all about the 1/3 scale, it always has been my favorite size. I made my own personal versions of the Rozen Maiden (from the manga by Peach Pit) with Volks Super Dollfies and SD-like resin models. That part of my collection is all about detailed body-blushes, round faces, shiny eyes and old-Volks aesthetics. Young maiden, pretty laces, vintage undergarments and so on. I share a lot about them online, especially on Instagram. On my IG profile, you can check the Rozen Talk! highlighted stories if you care to read me nerd and ramble about this project.
On the vinyl side of the force, I also have Volks girls (Dollfie Dream and Dollfie Icon) that I’m developing as Original Characters. I’m not used to sharing lore about my characters anymore (I used to do so as a teenager), but I kind of want to get back into this with these ones. The whole project is called Wind Rose, I’ll probably try to summarize it somewhere too… My best guess is still IG, it really is the platform where I post the most content. These characters will have heavily fantastic features. I’ve been into casual dolls for a lot of year before this, and I kind of need a shift, and have fun with a lot of fan service. Also, the vinyl dolls are really fun to play with, travel with, and easy to photograph in dynamics settings, so I’ll try to make the best out of it!
I also have two 1/4 sized dolls: Mikan, my Angel Philia. I absolutely LOVE that brand, I discovered it in 2013 in Japan and fell in love with their… sultry… esthetic. I love the variety of bodies and the softcore erotic undertones of their designs. Also, they’re really photogenic. Then in resin, Juniper, my Pandore Woodolls. I don’t really photograph her often, but she stands pretty in her display. She’s my cliché cute BJD, and she’s always a charm to portrait, and she reminds me of the “early days” of the BJD era in France. There’s so many amazing 38-48cm models that I love (mainly from independent creators), but I’m trying to step out of this game cause I’m starting to seriously lack space to display them.
The last part of my BJD collection are the Critters: an Other Side Oddity (I mean, come on…) and a Tobi Cocoriang (this one’s a classic!). Also, they’re more fashion dolls than BJD, but I also own a small army of Azone Pure Neemo. I don’t really know what happened with these ones, they just kind of multiplied… I don’t repaint them.
¿Y qué nos cuentas de tu colección personal? ¿Tienes una marca o tamaño favorito?
Claramente, ¡tengo algo por los modelos grandes! Me encanta todo en la escala 1/3 y siempre ha sido mi tamaño favorito. Hice mis propias versiones personales de Rozen Maiden (del manga de Peach Pit) con Volks Super Dollfies y modelos de resina. Esa parte de mi colección tiene muchos body-blush detallados, caras redondas, ojos brillantes y estética vieja de Volks. Las doncellas de ojos grandes, encaje y ropa antigua, y así. Comparto mucho de ellas, especialmente en Instagram. En mi perfil, pueden ver la historia Rozen Talk, si quieren decirme nerd y escucharme hablar de este proyecto.
En el lado de vinilo de la fuerza, también tenemos Volks (Dollfie Dream y Dollfie Icon) que estoy desarrollando con personajes originales. No estoy muy acostumbrada a compartir sobre mis personajes (lo hacía de adolescente), y ahora estoy intentando hacerlo con estos. Todo el proyecto se llama Rosa de Viento. Probablemente voy a tratar de resumir algo, y apuesto a hacerlo en Instagram, porque es la plataforma donde posteo más. Estos personajes tienen características fantásticas. He estado entusiasmada con muñecas casuales antes de esto, y necesitaba un cambio para divertirme con el fanservice. También, las muñecas de vinilo son muy divertidas para jugar, viajar, y fácil de fotografiar en ambientes dinámicos, así que intento hacer lo mejor al respecto.
Tengo dos muñecas 1/4. Mikan, que es una Angel Philia. ADORO esa marca, y la descubrí en 2013 en Japón y me enamoré de esa estética… osada. Me encanta la variedad de cuerpos y los tonos eróticos de sus diseños. Creo que son muy fotogénicos. Luego en resina, tengo a Juniper, mi Pandore Woodolls. No le saco muchas fotos, pero está bonita en su display. Es mi BJD adorable cliché, y siempre es hermosa de fotografiar. Me recuerda de los primeros día de la era BJD en Francia. Hay muchos modelos de 38-48cm que adoro (mayormente de creadores independientes), pero estoy intentando salirme de ese juego porque me está faltando espacio para tenerlas en display.
La última parte de mi colección de BJDs son las alimañas tengo una Other Side Oddity (o sea!) y un Cocoriang Tobi (este es un clásico!). También, hay más muñecas de moda que BJDs, y también tengo un pequeño ejército de Azone Pure Neemo. Realmente no sé qué pasó con estasm pero se multiplicaron. No las repinto.





Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
I can’t wait for the world to be back on its tracks. I miss you all, I miss events and festivals, travels, meetings and having fun with other collectors and creators from this amazing community. Shameless self-promotion time: my painting services are open most of the time, so always feel free to contact me if you have a doubt or any inquiries.
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
No puedo esperar a que el mundo vuelva a encaminarse. Los extraño a todos, extraño los eventos, festivales, viajes, reuniones y divertirme con otros coleccionistas y creadores de esta increíble comunidad. Un poco de promoción: mis servicios de maquillaje están abiertos la mayoría del tiempo, así que anímense a contactarme si tienen dudas o preguntas.


Thank you so much for doing the interview! :D
Thanks a lot for having me! And a huge THANK YOU to all of you who support my work online and keep contact, it means the world to me. Please don’t be a stranger, I always try to answer everyone on the best of my abilities (even though I’m not perfectly fluent in English).
¡Muchas gracias por hacer la entrevista! :D
Gracias por invitarme. Y muchas gracias a todos los que apoyan mi trabajo online y se mantienen en contacto, eso significa mucho para mí. Por favor, no sean desconocidos, siempre intento responder a todos con lo mejor de mis habilidades (incluso cuando no soy perfectamente fluída en Inglés).






I hope you all liked this interview! She makes amazing faceups honestly. As always, feel free to share the link, but do not repost it. And if you want to find Koala Krash, here are some links:

4 comments :

  1. Thank you for the interview! Never heard of her. I like how she uses white to emphasize lip lines. My favorite is the robot version - what a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you met her now! I also loved the robot one :D

      Delete
  2. Another amazing interview, thank you for sharing!
    I have seen some of her work and she does a great work!
    Love the last doll, so beautiful and different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you like it! I love the blushing on the last one as well, I think that one is from a French artist (the doll sculpt, I mean)--MewiFish?

      Delete