Sunday 3 April 2022

Interview with Rap1993

Hello everybody! It's time for another interview, so please welcom Rebekah, who you probably know as Rap1993, the artist behind the incredibly popular bunny girl BJDs. As always, the interview is in English and Spanish, and all photos are used with permission. Let's start!

Hello! Will you introduce yourself to the readers?
Hi my name is Rebekah or as many of you know Rap1993! I’m located in sunny South Florida and I have been an artist in nearly all my life and a doll maker since 2017, it’s nice to meet you all!
¡Hola! ¿Te presentarías para los lectores?
Hola, mi nombre es Rebekah, o como muchos me conocen Rap1993! Vivo en la soleada Florida del Sur, y he sido una artista casi toda mi vida. Hago muñecas desde 2017. Encantada de conocerlos!



How did you find out about BJDs and the doll hobby?
The way discovered ball jointed dolls was through my aunt who is a doll maker herself. It was over 10 years ago, when I was in high school (maybe 2009 - 2010?) When I first learned about these dolls, the first ones I ever saw in person were her dolls, which were a Doll-Zone Mo and a Unoa Alchemic Labo Lusis. To say that I was interested in them is an understatement, I thought they were the most amazing dolls I’ve ever seen in my life and every time I went to go see my aunt, I really always want to see them, and the more I looked, the more I wanted one for myself
Unfortunately at the time I was not able to buy a doll of my own, but my aunt gifted a 28cm female Obitsu for the time being. While it was fun when I first got her, it unfortunately it didn’t really satisfy what I truly wanted, so after I graduated high school and got my first job, I met one of my longtime friends who was in the doll hobby and helped me put me on the right direction of where to buy my first doll, a Doll-Love Anona, from Mint on Card in 2011.
And then the rest from there is history…
¿Cómo descrubirste las BJDs y el hobby de muñecas?
Lo encontré a través de mi tía que hacía muñecas. Fue hace diez años atrás, cuando yo estaba en la secundaria (¿quizás 2009 o 2010?). Cuando aprendí de estas muñecas, las primeras que vi en persona eran de ella, que eran una Dollzone Mo y una Unoa Alchemic Labo Lusis. Decir que me interesaron es quedarse corto. Creí que eran las muñecas más hermosas que había visto en mi vida, y cada vez que iba a ver a mi tía quería verlas, y lo más que miraba más quería una para mí.
Desafortunadamente, en ese tiempo no podía comprarme una muñeca propia, pero mi tía me regaló una Obitsu de 28cm. Era divertido, pero no satisfacía lo que yo realmente quería, así que después de completar la secundaria y obtener mi primer trabajo, encontré una de mis amigas de años que estaba en el hobby de las muñecas. Ella me puso en camino para comprarme mi primera muñeca, una Doll’Love Anona de Mint on Card en 2011.
Y desde ahí, el resto es historia.


And from there, what inspired you to create your dolls?
What made me give into doll making is that I’ve always wanted to get into designing my own toys. It’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was in high school and low-key kind of dreamed of doing that instead of fashion design, one of my original career paths. But back then, producing toys was not as accessible as it is now and if you manage to find a manufacturer it was incredibly expensive and required you to buy thousands of units. So it’s something I had to put on the back burner until the future, even more so I did not know how to sculpt at that time. Fast forward to 2016, one of my friends introduced me to Zbrush, and after learning the ropes a bit and completing my first 3-D model, I recognized that if I were to really improve my sculpting, I could make my own dolls with exactly the aesthetic that I liked and that would be exactly wanted in a doll
I wanted to have dolls that were a anime-esque style that looked like my art but not all the way to be like a Dollfie Dream. But I couldn’t exactly dolls that fit that criteria, if I had to give a point of reference, I was very inspired inspired by as Atelier Enaibi for the aesthetic I was looking for in dolls, and that’s what inspired me to make Danni. She was never intended to be made for sale since she was originally made for me which is why she looks the way she does. But after so much interest came from people commenting on my post and sending me DM‘s, I decided to work towards making Danni available for sale and after her first pre-order was successful. Then, I could see that there was a real future for me creating dolls so in 2018, I quit my day job and became a full-time artist
Y desde ahí ¿qué te inspiró a crear tus propias muñecas?
Lo que me llevó a crear mis muñecas fue que siempre había querido diseñar mis propios juguetes. Es algo que he querido hacer desde que estaba en la secundaria, y soñaba con hacer eso en lugar de diseño de ropa, uno de mis profesiones decididas. Pero entonces, producir no era accesible como es ahora, y encontrar un manufacturero es realmente caro y hay que comprar muchas unidades. Así que fue algo que tuve que posponer, más porque no sabía cómo modelar. Apurando al 2016, una de mis amigas me presentó ZBrush, y luego de aprendar un poco y completar mi primer modelo 3D, me di cuenta que si quería mejorar, podría hacer mis muñecas con la estética que quería, y que fuera exactamente lo que yo buscaba.
Quería muñecas que tuvieran un estilo anime, pero no tanto como una Dollfie Dream. Pero no podía encontrar exactamente las muñecas que encajaban con ese criterio. Si tengo un punto de referencia, estaba muy inspirada por Atelier Enaibi para la estética que me gustaba, y eso me inspiró a hacer a Danni. Ella nunca fue pensada para vender, porque era originalmente para mí, por eso se ve como se ve. Pero luego de mucho interés de gente comentando y enviándome DMs, me decidí a poner a Danni a la venta y la pre-order fue muy exitosa. Ahí ví que había interés en mis muñecas, así que en 2018 dejé el trabajo y me convertí en artista de tiempo completo.



You have minis (like Danni, Anie and Mae), and smaller dolls like Poppy. What are your plans for the future?
I have many plans lined up for future doll releases in the coming years! Some are long planned while some others are very spur of the moment, I’m still working around a release schedule for some dolls because I keep on having new ideas and want to work on them quickly or I keep reworking older sculpts that need updates due to me wanting to makes changes before oh my sculpting style has changed/improved my sculpting. But I definitely do have plans for releasing more pre-orders for Anie, Mae, and as well as Poppy with new colors, and possible re-releases of discontinued colors in the years to come. As for new dolls that are coming very soon, I’m doing my first collaboration with one of my good friends Moshi Melon with their OC Cheri, she will be my first SD-size doll I’ve created with my friends. She is scheduled for release later on this year!
Another thing I have had plans on working on a non-human doll such as my TV head that I sculpted last month, it was inspired by a VCR TV combo I had as a child. I wanted to make a object head based off of it (as well as being super cute as per usual). I plan on having this head available in a one 1/6, 1/4, and 1/3 in multiple colors. I’m hoping to have this ready for Resin Rose and then a preorder possibly early next year as well after Cheri!
And lastly, I have one more doll that I’m working on currently that I hope for a release next year as well. She’s been a long time planned and something I’ve wanted to do since my first preorder. But I’m not going to share details quite yet because I want it to be a surprise to you all, however, you may see some details about her very soon.
Por ahora tienes mini (como Danni, Anie, y Mae), y muñecas más pequeñas como Poppy. ¿Cuáles son tus planes para el futuro?
Tengo muchos planes para hacer nuevas muñecas en los próximos años. Algunas llevan planeadas por mucho, otras son intereses del momento. Por ahora sigo trabajando con un cronograma para algunas muñecas porque sigo teniendo nuevas ideas y quiero trabajar en eso o retrabajar moldes viejos para hacerlo cambios al modelado porque ha cambiado o mejorado. Pero definitivamente tengo planes para hacer más pedidos para Anie, Mae y también para Poppy con colores nuevos. Por muñecas nuevas que saldrán muy pronto, estoy haciendo mi primera colaboración con mi amiga Moshi Melon y so personaje Cheri. Ella será la primera muñeca SD que voy a crear con mis amigos, y va a salir más tarde en el año.
Otra cosa que he tenido planes, es trabajar en una muñeca no humana como la cabeza de TV que planeé el mes pasado, inspirada en una combinación VCR-TV que tenía de chica. Quería crear un objeto-cabeza como base (también es super adorable, como de costumbre). Planeo en tener esta cabeza disponible en 1/6, mini y 1/3 en muchos colores. Espero tener esto disponible para Resin Rose y para hacer un encargo el año que viene luego de Cheri.
Finalmente, tengo más de una muñeca en la que estoy trabajando, que actualmente espero sacar el año que viene. Es algo que he planeado desde hace mucho y quise hacer desde mi primer preorder. Pero no voy a compartir detalles para sorprenderlos, aunque espero que lo vean pronto.



What is your workflow? Do you do everything by yourself?
Other than having my dolls cast by a professional casting company and getting them 3D printed by Synthetic Ephemera, I'm a one man show running my entire doll business out of my apartment. From sculpting the dolls, processing orders and layaways, getting packaging and certificates designed, as well as packing and shipping, it's just little ol’ me doing all of this in between selling at anime conventions ha ha
And to explain my work flow with making a doll, sometimes I’ll draw and plan ahead, but most of the time I just go based off of what it's in my head and off that mental image. But whichever way that I choose, I like to take my time with what they’ll look like, what their vibe will be, what kind of aesthetic I’m going for with this doll, etc. and since I can be a bit of a perfectionist and want them just right, sometimes dolls end up taking longer than planned as I tend to have my dolls through multiple changes. It’s why I sometimes take breaks sculpting, or start working on new projects in between and further gain more inspiration and in turn learn, sometimes learning more about sculpting along the way.
And when I've finally finished sculpting, I get my dolly printed thanks to Synthetic Ephemera, inspect my prints, see if things fit, and sometimes I may have to get additional parts resized or changed. But once I get a feel for my doll, I get them prepped and ready to be shipped off to my casting company to make a sample doll. Once I get my sample dolls in the colors I’ve chosen, the next step is working towards a pre-order. This means getting sample face-ups ready for the casting company, calculating production costs, and taking promo pictures all before a preorder where I have to manually process orders, prepare layaway plans, as well as act as customer service for those who join my preorder. And when all the dolls arrive from the casting company, I manually sort and pack all orders and ship orders, sometimes filling up the whole car to go to the post office because of the amount of orders I’ve received.
And even though we can be very overwhelming at times with me doing everything by myself, it’s still a job that I very much still enjoy it wouldn’t trade it for the world.
¿Cuál es tu flujo de trabajo? ¿Hacer todo por tu cuenta?
Una compañía de casteo profesional castea mis muñecas, y yo imprimo mis modelos 3D con Synthetic Ephemera. Pero aparte de eso, hago todo por mi cuenta desde mi departamento. Desde modelar las muñecas, procesar encargos y pedidos, empacar, diseñar certificados, yo hago todo entre convenciones de animé.
Y para explicar mi flujo de trabajo respecto a hacer muñecas, dibujo y planeo primero, pero la mayoría del tiempo voy con lo que tengo en la cabeza. Sea lo que elija, me gusta tomarme el tiempo para que se vean como quiero, para que cualquiera que sea su vibración o su estética, salga a la luz. Y dado que puedo ser perfeccionista y quiero que salgan bien, a veces me toman más tiempo que el que planeo, y tiendo a hacer varios cambios. Es por eso que me tomo descansos entre modelado, o comienzo a trabajar en otras cosas para inspirarme y aprender algo más en el camino.
Cuando termino de modelar, imprimo con Synthetic Ephemera, inspecciono las impresiones, veo si las cosas encajan, a veces tengo que reimprimir o arreglar. Pero cuando tengo un ajuste con mis muñecas, las preparo para despachar a la compañía de casteo, y una vez que tengo todas las muestras en los colores elegidos, entonces trabajo para el preorder. Esto significa hacer maquillajes, calcular costos de producción, sacar fotos, preparar planes de pago, y servicio al cliente. Cuando las muñecas vuelven de la compañía, empaco todo, ordeno los pedidos y lleno un auto para ir a la oficina de correo.
Y a pesar de que es bastante hacer todo sola, es un trabajo que me encanta y que no cambiaria por nada en el mundo.



Do you work with preorders? Do you repeat pre-orders?
Since I handle all parts of the preorder, I work mostly on a pre-order basis mainly due to the lengthy process in between conventions. The other reason why I do limited pre-orders is because I need to make sure I have enough room in my current apartment to handle the orders. There are times where my manufacturing company has sent me eight large boxes filled with dolls and just even packing a pre-order takes up my entire living room with boxes everywhere so I try to make sure that I don’t get too overwhelmed. So if many of you’re wondering why I take a very limited number of orders, this is why….
But while I know I have limitations, I do repeat pre-orders when I can. Especially with recent developments of my pre-order selling out within minutes so that way I can give people who missed out last time another chance. I know what it’s like to miss out on a pre-order and not being able to have a second chance which is why I try to do repeat pre-orders when I can!
¿Trabajas con encargos? ¿Repites encargos?
Dado que me encargo de todo yo, trabajo con encargos debido al largo proceso entre las convenciones. La otra razón que hago pedidos limitados es porque necesito asegurarme de tener espacio en mi departamento para gestionar todo. Hay momentos en los que la compañía manufacturera me ha enviado ocho cajas llenas de muñecas. Se ocuparon todo mi living y tengo que asegurarme que no me sobrecargo demasiado. Para todos los que se preguntan por qué el numero limitado, esta es la razón…
Pero dado que se que tengo limitaciones, repito los encargos cuando sea que puedo. Especialmente con los desarrollos recientes de que mi encargo se vendió entero en minutos, así le puedo dar una oportunidad a la gente que quiere una. Sé lo que es perderse una oportunidad y no poder tener una segunda oportunidad, que es por lo que repito siempre que puedo.


You are also a digital artist, and your aesthetic is quite similar across dolls and art! How do they influence each other?
I would say the way that my digital art inspires my sculpting. This is me wanting to experiment and do new things and learn more methods and styles with my art. Essentially me wanting to start 3D sculpting was me experimenting with a new art form and discovering something that I’m very much interested in and that made me feel like I grew as an artist. And in turn, it’s made me want to do more with my art and step outside my comfort zone when it comes to drawing different things, but also adding my own twist to it and making it my own.
I feel I’ve learned so much since making my first 3D sculpt. But even then I still feel like I have so much more to learn with not only with my sculpting, but as an artist in general.
También vendes arte digital, y tu estética es muy similar a las muñecas! ¿Cómo se influencian?
Diría que mi arte digital influencia mis muñecas. Esta soy yo intentando experimentar y hacer cosas nuevas como aprender nuevos métodos y estilos con mi arte. Esencialmente empecé con modelado 3D para experimentar con una nueva forma de arte y descubrí que estaba muy interesada, lo que me hizo crecer como artista. Y a cambio, me hizo querer hacer más con mi arte e intentar cosas diferentes con un giro para que sea mío.
Siento que he aprendido mucho desde que hice mi primera escultura 3D. Pero aún siento que tengo mucho más que aprender no sólo con el modelado pero también como artista.



Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
I definitely want to say thank you to every single person who supports me in any way. Whether you participate in a pre-order or just comment and like my posts, your support is amazing and it makes me feel so lucky as a person with so many supporters for my art. You are the reason why I feel motivated to keep creating and improving as an artist.
Finalmente, hay algo más que te gustaría compartir?
Definitivamente quiero darle las gracias a cada persona que me apoya. Ya sea que participan en un encargo, o simplemente comentan y les gustan mis posts, el apoyo que me dan es increíble y me hace sentir muy afortunada de tener tanta gente que me apoya a través del arte. Son la razón que me motiva para continuar trabajando y mejorando.


Thank you for doing the interview!
Thank you so much for the interview! It was really fun answering these questions! And for everyone reading through the interview, thank you for reading and I hope you have a great day.
¡Gracias por participar en la entrevista!
¡Gracias por invitarme! Fue realmente muy divertido responder estas preguntas. Y gracias a todos por leer la entrevista, espero que tengan un gran día.



And that's all! If you liked Rap's doll, you can find more of her in the following links: As always, feel free to share the link, but do not repost it! If you want to translate it into another language, please contact me first.

2 comments :

  1. They are certainly unique. Thanks for the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Happy you liked the interview :3

      Delete