Sunday 2 February 2014

Interview with Angel Toast

Zephii, owned by CrazyKimochi.
Faceup by Angel Toast.
Hello everyone!! Today I'm really excited to bring you another interview. This interview is pretty special, given that today, My Dolly Adventures celebrates 1 year of interviewing artists and companies! This month I had the pleasure to talk to Andrea from Angel Toast!

All the pics were given by Angel Toast, and they are used with permission. As always, the interview is in english and in spanish. Feel free to share this interview!





Hello Andrea! Thank you so much for accepting the interview!
No problem, thank you so much for inviting me! I’m very excited! ^_^

¡Hola Andrea! ¡Muchas gracias por aceptar la entrevista!
No hay problema ¡muchas gracias a tí por invitarme! ¡Estoy muy entusiasmada! ^_^




So, let’s start as always… how did you find out about BJD?
In the early 2000’s I knew Aimee Major (the original owner of Den of Angels) from another fandom, and she introduced me to BJDs when she turned her art community forum into the early forum version of DoA. I found them a bit overwhelming at first because of the cost (she mostly owned Volks dolls), but I started looking around at them more because I found them so fascinating. Then in 2005 I discovered the company Dream of Doll, and fell in love with the fullset Shall. She was sold out, but I ordered a DoC Si girl instead. Originally, I “only wanted 2, a big one and a small one”, but the slippery slope began rather quickly as soon as I had my first one. ^^; I do still have my Si girl, Enigma, though she is on a different body now.
Entonces, comencemos como siempre… ¿cómo conociste a las BJD?
A principios del 2000 conocí a Aimee Major (la fundadora original de Den of Angels) desde otro fandom, y ella me introdujo a las BJD cuando convirtió su foro de arte en la versión inicial del DoA. Al principio me parecían un poco sobrecojedoras, debido al costo (ella mayormente tenía muñecos Volks), pero comencé a mirarlos más porque los encontraba muy fascinantes. Luego, en el 2005 descubrí a la compañía Dream of Doll, y me enamoré del fullset Shall. Ella estaba fuera de stock, pero me encargué una DoC Si niña en su lugar. Originalmente, yo “sólo quería dos, una grande y una pequeña” pero la bola de nueve comenzó bastante rápido una vez que tuve a la primera. Aún tengo a mi Si niña, Enigma, aunque ahora está en un cuerpo diferente.

Folklore, owned by Chanel. Faceup by Angel Toast.


Your face-ups are amazing and really popular. How did you start doing face-ups? Do you have any workspace?
Thank you so much! ^^ It really means a lot to hear that people like my work.
Well, originally I thought default faceups were great – but then I saw the magic that custom work could do to bring these dolls to a new level. There were some Japanese artists, as well as Evenstar in the US, that impressed me greatly. So in 2006 I started trying it myself. In the beginning I was pretty terrible. ^^; But everyone has to start somewhere! I bought various heads second-hand to practice on, and I have an amazing group of friends who would let me practice on their dolls as well. Without them, I certainly would not have progressed as much. So of course now, whenever I feel that I have improved, I repaint their dolls to keep them up to date.
Tus maquillajes son increíbles y realmente populares. ¿Cómo comenzaste a maquillar? ¿Tienes algún lugar de trabajo?
¡Muchas gracias! ^^ Realmente significa mucho oír que a las personas les gusta mi trabajo.
Bueno, originalmente pensaba que los maquillajes por defecto eran geniales, pero luego vi la magia que un trabajo personalizado podía hacer para llevar a estas muñecas a un nuevo nivel. Había algunos artistas japoneses, así como Evenstar en los EE.UU. que me impresionaban altamente. Así que en 2006 comencé a probarme a mí misma. En el principio era bastante terrible. ^^; ¡Pero todos comienzan en algún lado! Compré varias cabezas de segunda mano para practicar y tengo un increíble grupo de amigos que también me dejaban practicar en sus muñecos. Sin ellos, ciertamente no hubiera progresado mucho. Así que ahora, cuando sea que siento que he mejorado, repinto sus muñecas para mantenerlos al día.

Doll owned by Hitsugi. Faceup by Angel Toast.

I do have a workspace! I actually have two, one is a sitting desk and one is a standing desk. Switching back and forth makes the work easier on my back. I like to keep my work stations as organized as possible, though to onlookers it might still seem a bit chaotic. Routine is important, so I have everything set up in a specific way so I only need to reach my hand in a certain direction and find what I need. My own dolls take turns hanging out on my desk with me sometimes. My Fairyland Pukifee however is always on my sitting desk, since it has metal parts and he can stick to it with his little magnetic feet. He makes me smile. ^_^ ¡Sí tengo un espacio de trabajo! De hecho, tengo dos, uno es un escritorio para sentarse y el otro para trabajar parada. Trabajar en uno y otro lo hace más fácil para mi espalda. Me gusta mantener ambos espacios tan organizados como se pueda, aunque para los terceros puede parecer un poco caótico. La rutina es importante, así que tengo todo colocado de una forma específica para sólo necesitar estirar mi mano en cierta dirección y encontrar lo que necesito. Mis propias muñecas toman turnos para pasar un rato conmigo en mi escritorio. Mi Pukifee de Fairyland siempre está en mi escritorio para sentarme, dado que tiene partes de metal y él puede pegarse a él con sus pies magnéticos. Me hace sonreir ^_^

Pic by Angel Toast.
Andrea said: "Thank you Andreja for the cute collage idea! ^^"


The name of your store is really curious. Does it have any meaning behind? Would you like to share how you chose it?
That is actually a question I get asked a lot! It’s not a very deep story, really. At the time, pretty much everything involving BJDs had the word “angel” attached to it somehow, so I wanted to carry on that tradition. And I wanted a logo to go with my name, so I came up with the image of a set of chibi angel wings burned into a piece of toast. And of course, I love toast. Who doesn’t love toast? It has since become a really fun name to play with. Some people call me “Toasty”, or refer to their dolls that I’ve painted as “toasted”. So even though it’s goofy, I still enjoy the name a lot. ^_^
El nombre de tu tienda es realmente curiosa. ¿Tiene algún significado por detrás? ¿Compartirías con nosotros cómo lo elegiste?
¡Esta es realmente una pregunta que me hacen bastante! No es una historia muy profunda, de hecho. En ese momento, casi todo lo que involucraba a BJDs tenía la palabra “ángel” asociado de alguna forma, así que quise seguir esa tradición. Y quería un logo que fuera con mi nombre, así que llegué con la imagen de un par de alas de ángel quemadas en un pedazo de tostada. Y por supuesto, me encantan las tostadas. ¿A quién no le gustan? Desde entonces, se ha convertido en un nombre bastante gracioso con el que jugar. Algunas personas me llaman “Tostadita” o se refieren a las muñecas que he pintado como “tostadas”. Así que aunque es tonto, aún disfruto mucho ese nombre.

Doll owned by Frappzilla. Faceup by Angel Toast.


You also have sculpted some artist dolls, which are gorgeous. What pushed you to start sculpting? Do you have any plans for this in the future?
Thank you so much! I am definitely still learning when it comes to sculpting, but it is very fun since it is a whole different artistic process. As for the push, it was a part of my decision to make art and BJDs the main focus of my life as far as work and throw myself fully into it. I always admire people who devote themselves to what they love, and keep looking for new ways to expand on that. A passionate cook might travel to the outback and learn how to make excellent dishes out of snakes, or a figure skater might want to try and learn a quadruple axel. Not that sculpting is quite as dangerous as either of those, but the idea is the same, to expand on what you know. I started with BJD faceups and sculpting BJD heads, but have since learned to do faceups on Jun Planning dolls, vinyl and Tonner dolls, and am working on sculpting whole figures. I also do custom paint jobs on Windstone PYO creatures. There is always a new idea to reach for.
As for plans, I am working on a 55cm boy body to go with the heads I made, and there is a new head taking shape on my desk, a more mature face that I would like to fit and suit the Iplehouse SID man body. My MSD girl head, Sparrow, is currently in the process of molding and test-casting and should be ready for production soon.
Tú también has modelado muñecas de artista, las cuales son hermosas. ¿Qué te llevó a comenzar a modelar? ¿Tienes algunos planes para el futuro?
¡Muchas gracias! Definitivamente aún estoy aprendiendo en lo que se refiere a modelar, pero es muy divertido dado que es un proceso artístico completamente diferente. Para el empujón inicial, fue parte de mi decisión de hacer que el arte y las BJD fueran el foco central de mi vida como mi trabajo, y dedicarme a eso completamente. Siempre he admirado a las personas que se abocan a sí mismos a lo que aman, y continúan buscando nuevas formas de expandirlo. Un cocinero apasionado puede viajar y aprender como hacer platillos excelentes basados en serpientes, o un patinador puede viajar y e intentar aprender un eje nuevo. No es que modelar sea tan peligroso como esos, pero la idea es la misma, expandirse en lo que uno sabe. Comencé con los maquillajes de muñecas y modelar cabecitas, pero he aprendido a pintar muñecas Jun Planning, de vinilo, y Tonners, y estoy trabajando en figuras completas. A su vez hago trabajos de pintura en criaturas Windstone PYO. Siempre hay una nueva idea que alcanzar.
Respecto a los planes, estoy trabajando en un cuerpo masculino de 55cm para que vaya con las cabezas que he hecho, y hay una nueva cabecita tomando forma en mi escritorio, un rostro más maduro que me gustaria que vaya bien con el cuerpo Iplehouse SID. Mi niña MSD, Sparrow, está actualmente en el proceso de moldeo y casteo de prueba, y debería estar lista para producción muy pronto.

Elf Raven sculpted by Angel Toast.
Picture by Perception Crisis Photograph.


Do you have a most popular face up? And a personal favorite?
Hmm that is a really tough call! As for popularity, it depends very much on what the doll ends up looking like overall. My most popular work tends to be well known because the owners of the dolls do a wonderful job in styling and photographing them in a way that truly brings out the doll’s personality.
¿Tienes un maquillaje que haya sido muy popular? ¿Y un favorito personal?
Mmm… ¡esta es una pregunta difícil! En lo que concierne a popularidad, depende mucho de cómo termina luciendo la muñeca. Mi trabajo más popular también se debe a que los dueños de las muñecas hacen un trabajo espectacular en el estilo y fotografías de los mismos, que es lo que realmente trae a la personalidad del muñeco.

Pommie, owned by CrazyKimochi. Faceup by Angel Toast.

And I suppose that the faceup I did on Gideon, my Volks DWC head is popular? I was incredibly honored to be placed in the top ten for the Dollfie World Cup, and even more thrilled to be awarded second place. It was like a crazy dream that people all over the world saw and liked my work enough to vote for her, and I am so very grateful to each and every one who did! ^_^ It was certainly one of the highlights of 2013 for me. I wish I had better photos to share of her, but she is still in Japan with Volks since they are using her for photos. Which is crazy awesome, so I am not complaining! ^~ ¿Y supongo que el maquillaje que hice en Gideon, mi Volks DWC head es popular? Fue un gran honor estar en el top ten de las Dollfie Wolrd Cup, y aún más entusiasmada de haber alcanzado el segundo lugar. Fue como un loco sueño que personas de todo el mundo vieran mi trabajo y lo votaran ¡así que estoy muy agradecido a todos los que me votaron! ^_^ ciertamente fue una de las estrellas del 2013 para mí. Sólo deseo haber tenido mejores foto de ellas, pero aún está en Japón en Volks, dado que la están usando para fotos. ¡Lo que es increíble, así que no me quejo! ^~

Gideon, Volks SWD, owned by Angel Toast.
Photo credit: Volks Inc.
A personal favorite is also terribly difficult to pin down. Again, in many ways it is the overall look of the completed doll that truly lets a faceup shine. Some faceups I’ve done stand out in my memory because they were very unique and fun, others because I feel like I did a good job on it as far as technical skills, and yet others because they came out especially natural and lively. It is also very satisfying to “rescue” a head that has gone through a lot of damage, and make it beautiful again. Un favorito personal es también terriblemente difícil de rastrear. De nuevo, en muchas formas es la forma en que la muñeca completa termina luciendo y haciendo que el maquillaje brille. Algunos de los que he hecho se quedan en mi memoria porque fueron muy únicos y divertidos, otros porque siento que hice un buen trabajo respecto a mis habilidades técnicas, y otros porque resultaron muy naturales y vivos. Además, es muy satisfactorio rescatar una cabeza que ha atravesado mucho daño, y devolverla a la belleza.

Faceup and photography by Angel Toast.

Faceup, restoration and photography by Angel Toast.

What makes me happiest is when I manage to truly bring out the desired personality in a doll, be it my own or for a client. The same sculpt can look completely different depending on the character. That is absolutely the best part about doing faceups! ^_^ Lo que más feliz me hace es cuando logro obtener la personalidad deseada en un muñeco, sea para mí o para un cliente. El mismo molde puede lucir completamente diferente dependiendo del personaje. ¡Esa es la mejor parte de hacer maquillajes! ^_^

Faceups and photography by Angel Toast.


Finally, anything else you want to share with us?
I certainly would like to thank everyone who has supported me and my art over the years. The BJD hobby has been incredibly kind to me, creatively and personally. Thank you to all those amazing people I have met, and those who let me paint their dolls even when I was just starting out. And Thank You to all the artists out there who inspire me daily with their work, in every field.
And to those who want to start doing faceups themselves, or sculpt, or express themselves in any other artistic way, I’d like to say: Go for it! I like to say this because I have to remind myself of it all the time. Don’t be afraid to be passionate, and to fail and redo and practice. And never mind the haters, you’re the best! ^_~ And to everyone going to Dollism NY 2014: See you there!
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Sinceramente me gustaría agradecer a todos los que me han apoyado a mí y a mi arte con el paso del tiempo. El hobby de las BJD ha sido muy amable conmigo, creativa y personalmente. Gracias a todas las maravillosas personas que he conocido, y a aquellos que me dejaban pintar sus muñecas cuando yo sólo estaba comenzando. Y gracias a todos los artistas que me inspiran diariamente con su trabajo, en todos los aspectos.
Y para aquellos que están comenzando a hacer maquillajes, o modelar, o expresarse a sí mismos en cualquier forma artística, me gustaría decir ¡sigan adelante! Me gusta decirlo porque tengo que recordármelo a mí misma todo el tiempo. No se asusten de ser apasionados, y de fallar y rehacer la práctica. ¡Y que no les importen los haters, ustedes son los mejores! ^_~
Y para todos los que vayan al Dollism NY 2014: ¡los veo allí!

Faceup, painting and photography by Angel Toast.

Thank you so much for doing the interview!
Thank you so much for having me! ^_^
¡Muchas gracias por hacer la entrevista!
¡Muchas gracias a tí por pensar en mí! ^_^


Website: www.angeltoastdolls.com
Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/AngelToastBJD
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/elisa_maza/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/AngelToast/126405044111270


Well, this was all for today! Hope you have enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed doing and translating this interview. Thank you so much to Andrea for being so kind and helpful. So, if any of you have a suggestion for an Interview, feel free to contact me and let me know!

10 comments :

  1. Absolutely awesome interview!!! Thank you, both of you, for the time and effort it took to share this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much to you, for taking the time to read and comment!

      Delete
  2. muy linda entrevista! te felicito amiga por lograr entrevistar a tantas personalidades conocidas del hobby!! :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias amiga! :D
      Espero poder seguir haciendo muchas entrevistas.

      Delete
  3. This is just wonderful! My absolute favorite boy in the world was painted by AngelToast and I will always love him most above all others <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitly does some amazing faceups!! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. She inspires me to be as good as she is! :) Wonderful interview. Thanks to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you for reading and supporting by commenting! :3

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this interview. Have always been a fan of AngelToast even if I've never had the opportunity to send one of my dolls to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the interview! Thanks for the comment :3

      Delete