Sunday 31 August 2014

Interview with Darjeeling Aesthethics

Hello! This month I have an interview with one of my favorites faceup artist in the BJD hobby: Kai from Darjeeling Aesthetics. I need to thank her for all the time she took to answer this thoughtfully and all the pictures she sent me :3 those are used here with permission, too).

As always, the interview is both in English and Spanish, so I hope you have a nice time reading this.

Hello! Thank you so much for doing this interview!
Hey there! Thanks for interviewing me! This is actually my first time being interviewed as an artist, so I’m actually really excited about this. Have an obligatory picture of my cute dolls :)
¡Hola! ¡Muchas gracias por aceptar la entrevista!
¡Hey! ¡Gracias por realizar la entrevista! En realidad es mi primera vez siendo entrevistada como una artista, así que estoy realmente emocionada por esto. Ten una foto obligatoria de mis adorables muñecas :)



Let’s start with a classic. How did you met BJDs? Who was your first doll?
I was first introduced to BJDs by my cousin, who happened to be browsing the Dream of Doll company site when I was visiting one summer vacation. It was my first time seeing such beautiful looking dolls and I fell in love with them instantly. My first doll was a Minifee Shushu, just when LUTS was switching over the Minifee line to Fairyland, so I managed to get her at a discount. Actually at the time my dad was working for a company in Korea, so to save on shipping costs he and a few coworkers decided to coordinate some plans so he could pick her up during his business trip.
Unfortunately, a few years later I discovered I wasn’t really a big fan of mini-size dolls, so I sized up to the SD collection I have now.
Comencemos con un clásico. ¿Cómo conociste a las BJD? ¿Quién fué tu primera muñeca?
Fui inicialmente introducida a las BJD por mi primo, que casualmente estaba navegando el sitio de la compañía Dream of Doll cuando yo estaba de visita en unas vacaciones de verano. Era mi primera vez viendo tan hermosas muñecas y me enamoré instantáneamente. Mi primera muñeca fue una Minifee Shushu, justo cuando LUTS estaba trasladando la línea MNF a Fairylando, así que me las ingenié para obtenerla con un descuento. De hecho, en ese momento mi papá estaba trabajando para una compañía en Korea así que para ahorrar en gastos de envío él y unos colegas decidieron coordinar algunos planes así él podría recogerla durante su viaje de trabajo.
Desafortunadamente, unos años después descubrí que realmente no era fan de muñecas tamaño mini, así que cambié a la colección de SD que tengo ahora.



How did you decide to start the face up service “Darjeeling Aesthetics”? Do you have any workspace to share with us?
Doing my own faceups has been a thought of mine ever since I got my first doll in 2008, but for the longest time I didn’t think I had the resources or talent to do so. Finally, in the winter of 2012 I decided to start up Darjeeling Aesthetics. At first I tried working on Monster Highs to get a better handle on using pastels and understanding face contours, but I quickly switched to practicing on BJD heads after I managed to receive a Leekeworld Corin head as a trade for a commission. From then I kept working on my skills until I could consider myself good enough to take BJD faceup commissions and eventually paint my own dolls.
My workspace is essentially whatever desk I happen to be stationed at. I’m still a college student so I have to be prepared to move around quite a bit! I’ve noticed that I’m always working next to a computer of some sort though… I usually have my pastels and brushes spread out somewhere nearby (since my deskspace is pretty limited), and my paints on the desk along with the heads that I’m working on. I’m not going to show my actual workspace because it tends to be really messy and disorganized, but you can see some of my tools and materials on the side (with a bonus).
¿Cómo decidiste comenzar en el servicio de maquillaje “Darjeeling Aesthetics”? ¿Tienes algún espacio de trabajo para compartir con nosotros?
Hacer faceups siempre ha sido una idea mía desde que tuve a mi primera muñeca en 2008, pero por el mayor tiempo no pensé que tuviera los recursos o talento para hacerlo. Finalmente, en el invierno de 2012 decidí empezar Darjeeling Aesthetics. Al principio comencé a trabajar en Monster Highs para aprender a manejar los pasteles y comprender el delineado del rostro, pero rápidamente me cambié a practicar con cabezas de BJD, después de que obtuve una cabeza Leekeworld Corin como intercambio por una comisión. Desde entonces he continuado trabajando en mis habilidades hasta que pude considerarme suficientemente buena como para tomar encargos y eventualmente pintar mis propias muñecas.
Mi espacio de trabajo es esencialmente cualquier escritorio sobre el que resulte estar cerca. Aún soy una estudiante universitaria así que tengo que estar preparada para moverme bastante. Me he percatado que siempre estoy trabajando cerca de alguna computadora de alguna clase… usualmente tengo mis pasteles y pinceles cerca (dado que mi espacio en escritorios es muy limitado) y mis pinturas suelen estar en el escritorio en el que trabajo. No voy a mostrar mi real espacio de trabajo porque tiende a ser muy desordenado y desorganizado, pero aquí puedes ver mis herramientas y materiales en un lado (con el bonus).


Also, your shop has a very cool name, but also interesting. How did you choose it?
Honestly, I was kind of at a loss when I first started up my shop – I thought about my favorite teas and Darjeeling happened to be the one with the nicest ring to it. It also happens to be the name of the doll I’m going to be ordering soon ^^
Además, tu tienda tiene un nombre muy lindo e interesante. ¿Cómo lo elegiste?
Honestamente, estaba un poco perdida cuando comencé mi tienda –pensé sobre mis tés favoritos y Darjeeling resultó ser el que tenía un mejor sonido. También resulta ser el nombre de la muñeca que voy a encargarme muy pronto.


You have recently worked with some Doll Shows. Can you tell us a little about this? Will you attend more meetings/cons soon?
I was invited by Dolls & Party from Spain to be a faceup sponsor for one of their special event dolls. Unfortunately the shipment from the doll company to the staff took a little longer than expected, and by the time the convention staff received the dolls, there wasn’t enough time to cover the usual duration of international shipping. I am, however, still collaborating with them, so please look forward to a special after-event announcement soon! If you’re interested, you can visit their Facebook page for more news. Please support them so that Dolls & Party can happen again next year :)
On a slightly unrelated note, my friend and I have been considering selling prints of our own artwork so I might be at the artist alley at Fanime, one of our local conventions in California, USA next year. Even if I don’t end up tabling, I attend every year so if you’re interested in meeting me and my dolls in person, I’ll see you there!
Recientemente has trabajado con algunos Doll Shows. ¿Puedes contarnos un poco sobre esto? ¿Vas a ir a más reunions y cons pronto?
Fui invitada por Dolls & Party de España para ser un sponsor de faceups para una de las muñecas especiales de evento. Desafortunadamente, el envío de la compañía al staff tomó más de lo esperado, y para el tiempo en que el staff recibió la muñeca, no había tiempo suficiente para cubrir la duración usual de un envío internacional. Como sea, aún estoy colaborando con ellos así que por favor ¡presten atención a un anuncio de un evento especial que habrá muy pronto! Si están interesados, pueden visitar su Facebook para más noticias. Por favor apóyenlos así el Dolls & Party puede suceder nuevamente el año entrante :)
En una nota no tan relacionada, mi amiga y yo hemos estado considerando vender impresiones de nuestro arte así que puede ser que llegue a estar en el lado de artistas de Fanime, una de nuestras convenciones locales en California, USA, el año entrante. Incluso ni no llego a estar en un puesto, atiendo la convención todos los años así que si estás interesado en conocerme a mí y a mis muñecas ¡ahí los veré!



It is known you are amazing at drawing, and also made some incredible postcards of your dolls. Want to share a little about this with us?
Drawing’s been a hobby ever since I was very little. I took art classes up until my second year of high school, and from then I’ve been practicing digital art on my own. Here’s the postcards you mentioned:
Es conocido que eres increíble dibujando y también has hecho unas hermosas postales de tus muñecas. ¿Quieres contarnos un poco al respecto?
Dibujar siempre ha sido un hobby desde que era muy pequeña. Tomé clases de arte hasta mi segundo año de instituto, y desde entonces he estado practicando arte digital por mi cuenta. Aquí están las postales que has mencionado:


I’m sure at least one of them is recognizable. The very last drawing is of a doll I haven’t bought yet, but I’ve been saving up for her all year so hopefully I’ll be able to show her off soon.
Most recently I’ve been working on possible prints to sell for the con next year. I usually end up drawing whatever I feel like, whether it’s manga/anime series that I enjoy or online games that I play. In the past few weeks or so I’ve been streaming my drawing sessions on my Twitch.tv channel (even though technically it’s a gamecasting platform).
Estoy segura que al menos una de ellas es reconocible. El último dibujo es de una muñeca que aún no me he comprado, pero he estado ahorrando para ella todo el año, así que espero poder mostrarla pronto.
Más recientemente he estado trabajando en posibles impresiones para vender en la convención el año entrante. Usualmente termino dibujando cualquier cosa que me guste, sea de series de manga/animé que me gustan o de juegos online que frecuento. En las últimas semanas he realizado streamings de mis sesiones de dibujo en Twitch.tv (aunque en realidad es una plataforma para transmitir gamings).



Regarding your face-up work… do you have any most-popular work? And any personal fave?
Most popular? Probably my own dolls since I share them the most ;) Naturally they’re my favorites too, but when it comes to commissions I prefer soft, sweet faceups like the ones I did for sp_rocks24’s Minifee Chloe and most recently a Soom Sueve for Dubious on Den of Angel. I think that’s basically where I can show my skill most.
Respecto a tu trabajo de maquillajes… ¿tienes algún trabajo más popular? ¿Y algún favorito personal?
¿Más popular? Probablemente mis propias muñecas dado que las comparto mucho ;) Naturalmente, ellas también son mis favoritas, pero en lo que respecta a los encargues, prefiero los faceups suaves y dulces como los que hice para la MNF Chloe de sp_rocks24 y una Soom Sueve para Dubious en DoA. Creo que ellos son donde más puedo mostrar mis habilidades.

Up: MNF Chloe own by sp_rocks24. Down: Soom Sueve own by Dubious.


Switching back to the BJD topic… do you have any favorite store/company? Any favorite sculpt?
My two favorite companies are both from Korea, Little Monica and Peakswoods. I just love the overall aesthetic of the sculpts that both these companies offer! As for my favorite sculpt, I’d say it’s probably Volks SDGr Lorina. I know I have practically no chance of ever obtaining a Lorina, though.
Volviendo al tema de las BJD… ¿tienes alguna compañía o artista favorite? ¿Algún molde favorito en particular?
Mis dos compañías favoritas son de Korea: Little Monica y Peakswood. Simplemente adoro la estética general de los moldes que ambas compañías ofrecen. Como mi molde favorito, diría que probablemente es la Volks SDGr Lorina. Sé que prácticamente no tengo oportunidad de jamás adquirir una, lamentablemente.


Anything else you want to share with us?
This is going to be super cheesy-sounding, but don’t be afraid to try things out yourself, whether it be faceups, sewing, or even stuff outside of the BJD world :) You never know what you might discover about yourself and where it can take you!
¿Algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Sé cómo sonará esto, pero no tengan miedo de intentar las cosas por vosotros mismos, ya sea maquillajes, costura o incluso cosas fuera del mundo de las BJD :) ¡Nunca sabes qué puedes descubrir sobre ti mismo y a dónde puede llevarte!

Angell-Studio Andrea

You can Kai and her faceup service here:

Ok, that was all for today!! Thank you so much for reading this, and please spread the word about the artists we love! Feel free to share the link, but don't repost the interview >.<. Also, if you want to see an artist featured, contact me and I will try my best to get an interview with them!

6 comments :

  1. Awesome interview as always! Her face ups are so lovely and the drawings are so cool !! <.<! I wish I could be as talented as her. I loved the feel in this interview and specially the last bit, makes me wanna go try face ups right now :D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! :3 Yes, she is awesome, I love her drawings a lot!
      Also, you *should* go and keep trying with the faceups!

      Delete
  2. Estupenda entrevista. Los maquillajes son bellísimos y me encanta como dibuja. Esta artista es muy hábil. Gracias por entrevistarla, esto me permite conocer la personalidad de cada artista que presentas. Te felicito por tu trabajo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! :D Me encanta el trabajo de Kai, la verdad :3

      Delete
  3. Nice interview! I like that you asked questions aside from the actual BJDs and faceupping. It's so cool to get to know at least something more about the people behind the dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I will try to add more of those questions to future interviews :3
      And thank you for the comment!

      Delete