Saturday 27 February 2016

Late Victorian Steampunk Gown - With Video!

Back in January I started one of the projects that I had delayed the most: a steampunk dress, using some fabrics hubby had gifted me. I even presented the project and all in the blog. The dress was an ambitious one and, I must confess, the biggest and most detailed I have done until now.

It took me almost two months to finish it, and it went from happiness and enthusiasm, to stress and sadness after the first failed jacket, and then to plain amusement because I still cannot believe that the gown is up to my own expectations.

So, here we are, after that much time. This was one of my yearly goals too, and I had proposed myself to make a video of the work-in-progress, and to add voiceover. I did it! Although I will warn you: I do have an accent, so please don't bash and don't be mean. It was my first time recording myself speaking and I was very nervous which increased my accent. I added English and Spanish subtitles, too.

The photos are under the cut (they are more than in the video), along with some links and other anecdotes from the journey.




Nice Photos

There are a lot of photos (even more than those included in the video), because after so much work, I wanted to capture each detail... although I wasn't sure how to pose Coco, to be honest. I didn't saw the point in doing something with her legs, and did not have a suitable miniature chair either!

Before the pics, and for the history savvy people, I want to say that even though I aimed at a 1875 style, I know there are a lot of things that are not historically accurate (for example the drawers, the lack of corset, the sleeveless shirt, etc.). I took some decisions considering the size of the doll, and others were mostly because this is the first almost-historical costume I have ever made, and some things simply "turned out".

I know I made some shape mistakes (and a jacket of 1880), but oh well. In my eyes, one of the good things of steampunk is that, as a fantasy style, it doesn't have to be perfectly historically accurate. So please, enjoy!






























Links & Info

As I mention on the video, I gathered all the tutorials and fashion plates I used as inspiration on this Pinterest board. I used many tutorials from those saved on that board, and I think they will be useful to many people. For example:
 There is also the full Project Journal on DoA: http://bit.ly/SteampunkVictorianDoA

I made the pattern for the bag, since I wanted a very specific design, and my mom made use of her awesome miniature-bag-sewing-skills, and made me that cute purse :3 I must confess that the chains straps were a discussion until a sketch made everything clear xD.

The chatelaine (they key chain on the left side) was a suggestion by the awesome Cthulhu on Den of Angels, upon seeing the tiny keys I have bought for the dress.

On a funny note, most of the decorations from the jacket (the chains, the golden parts on the waist, the diamond part on the chatelain, and the flowers near the owl) came from a faux golden bracelet my mom gave me to tear appart for the dress. And I used almost everything, except the hook that was ugly xD.

I said it on the video, but I want to thank to all the people who followed my project on DoA, encourgaing me, giving me suggestions, ideas and more, and to those who commented on my Instagram posts, or even here in my blog. To my mom, who helped me get many of the laces and decorations, and who made the wonderful bag. To hubby, because he is my cinnamon roll and supports me a lot. And thanks to Fantasywoods for the talk upon the video and my accent, when I was so anxious! You were very kind :3

Now, only one doubt remains: how am I going to store such a huge dress one it is out of Coco!!! The skirts are so so big that they take so much space! And the cage! OMG! I totally not considered that when I aimed at a late Victorian dress. Suggestions and ideas will be very much appreciated. Should I buy a box only for the dress? What do I do? =S

Anyways, now I need to make Calina a steampunk dress... I already have ideas for it! But that would be a story for another project and another post. Stay tuned, in case you want to check it out!

22 comments :

  1. What an absolute stunning dress! I understand, if you're very proud of this project. It turned out amazing!
    I hope to aspire to be just half as good as you ;w;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! You are to kind :D
      I think that if you keep practicing you can be so much better :3 Practice makes perfect!

      Delete
  2. Creo que ya lo dije mil veces, que el vestido está precioso y detallado y estoy impresionada. De tu voz ya no comento nada o se me revienta la vena! XD ajaja y cuando quieras hablamos pos, si pa eso está uno :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡¡Gracias!! :D
      Es que intenté hacerla grave al hablar, pero igual me suena a voz de niña T_T

      Delete
  3. quedó hermoso!!!!lo terminaste rapidisimo! con tantos detalles y capas y capas de ropa uno pensaría que iba a tomar mucho mas tiempo x_x Muy bueno el video también! no te preocupes mas por tu voz, abraza tu voz de niña y sé feliz! jajajaja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡¡Muchas gracias!! Pero dos meses es mucho tiempo, creo yo xD
      Igual me gusta mucho como quedó. Me alegro que te guste el vestido :D

      Delete
  4. EEEE!!! IT CAME OUT SO AMAZING!!! :D You must be so happy to have finished it!! A box is probably the best option for storing it to keep it safe and kitty fur-free. ;)

    Also, your voice is so cute! >w< <3 <3

    Thank you so much for sharing all this with us! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much *blushes* :3
      I was considering a "tiny" box that would fit inside my huge "Coco's clothes" box that I already have. I think that would be the best option.

      Delete
  5. ME he quedado sin palabras, el traje ¡es una obra de arte!, las fotos alucinantes, quedaron muy buenas y se aprecian todos los detalles, me encanta el estilo y como lo has manejado. Mi sugerencia para guardarlo es conseguir una caja pequeña, donde el vestido quepa cómodamente, sin arrugarlo demasiado, y otra caja más pequeña para los accesorios.
    Te felicito, tu trabajo es precioso y tienes una voz juvenil muy linda. El video me encanto. Felicitaciones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡¡Muy amable, muchísimas gracias!! :D
      Creo que si, la caja va a ser lo mejor para el vestido :)

      Delete
  6. I have loved to follow this project! It's been so exciting to see all your updates and how you progressed with the dress. It has turned out so beautiful! I can't describe how much I love this dress. :D
    I'm also so impressed with your level of patience! With all those details I think I would've broken down multiple times during such a project. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! You make me blush :3
      I think this hobby has taught me to have more patience that I had when I started. Sewing by hand is slow, and even if I want to see it "finished right now", going fast never ends up looking nice, sadly T_T

      Delete
  7. What a huge undertaking and a gorgeous result ~
    I love how much thought you put into everything including considering your dolly ~ I think some very complicated patterns won't look very good in such tiny scale~ so your different jacket design works very well I think!!
    I also adore the chained keys~~

    I don't see any problems with your English ^^ it's perfectly understandable to me ~ isn't it just a tool for communication? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! You are too kind :3
      The chatelaine was a suggestion on DoA (I didn't even knew about them before) and I think it works perfect for the dress.
      Thanks for your comments on my English, I was really worried.

      Delete
  8. Well done Musume, I had been reading the progress of this project on DoA and the finished result is beautiful.

    As for storage, what about making an old fashioned travel/steamer trunk from the same period, I'm sure you could do it and it could also double as a photographic prop as well. You could do it, I know you could. :)
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! :D
      That is a great idea! I had to google it at first, to be honest, but I think it would look great! Need to ponder the cost/weight, too. (Aren't they made of wood?)

      Delete
  9. You finally finished, I love all the results and how much hand stitching it all took with you having this massive beautiful project. I love how you've created all these individual pieces of clothing with much care and percistence. I'm admiring your hand sewing skills, you've made all stitches very neatly.

    I'm so glad you took the task of making the voice over your video, it must have taken a lots of courage and I have to admire you for that! It was understandable and beautiful, and I find you sound really cute! ˆ__ˆ

    About storing the dress, I know it might sound like a silly idea, but if you have either a hanger or maybe you could make a Coco-size mannequin and store the dress hanging on a box roof or on a mannequin? Pretty box would be worth the oufit I think. ˆ-ˆ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, thank you so much!! *blushes* thanks, I don't like my voice at all T_T
      I did saw some tutorials/suggestions videos about recording voice-over, since I wanted to make it sound nice.
      I was suggested the mannequin too, but I don't know, it may get dusty even if inside my doll-closet. The hanger maybe work, with a bag like some man suits are stored with.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful video! What a fun and challenging project. Really lovely! *_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much :)
      Glad you liked it!!

      Delete
  11. I love the final effect! The dress is really impresive. I like the video a lot. I'm very happy I have found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm happy you found my blog as well! :D

      Delete