Thursday 7 March 2013

Interview With NeferKane

CircusKane Aleah, by NeferKane.
Welcome! This is a new section of the blog that I will update montly with an interview to some of my favorite BJD artist (not only dollmakers). This time, the first one, is the turn of NeferKane from CircusKane Dolls. I must say I'm so thankful that she agreed to take the time to answer all of my questions.
Due to the section itself, this will be the only part of my blog posted in both english and spanish, to do my little contribution to promote the artists I like. All the pics in this post are copyrighted to NeferKane, who lgave those to me to put in here. I hope you really enjoy this interview as much as I did asking, reading and translating everything.


Hello Nefer! Thank you so much for this interview!
Hello Musume, that’s a great pleasure and big honor for me :)
¡Hola Nefer! ¡Muchas gracias por esta entrevista!
Hola Musume, es un gran placer y un gran honor para mí :)


Will you tell me how did you first meet BJDs and start sculpting them?
I met BJD through the greatest BJD artist of this planet ( in my modest opinion), The Japanese Sculptor Hanano. I was looking for some puppet references as I had one to make as a commission, for I was a conventional dollmaker. Then I saw a picture of Hanano’s work. I typed a search in Japanese and found her Youtube Channel. When I saw her short movie of her dolls in stop motion, it’s been like thunder falling on my head. A doll that could move as a human being .. It was beyond all my dreams as everyone knows I sculpt for my redemption and TRY to reach a perfect doll, almost living being to gain back my 21 grams that I lost when I learned that my younger son is autistic. I try to repair my fault by dedicating my life to human form and seeking to make a perfect being as I couldn’t make my son perfectly and he suffers every day of his autism.
So, right away, I made one. I didn’t know how it was made, nor what I was really doing; but thank to stringing photo tutorials on internet I understood how it was made and sculpted my first one, which is the Bearded Lady and now lives with my friend and collector Chris ^^
It’s very new for me to own bjd… as strange as it can seem, I owned my first bjd after I made Aleah my first resin one; and before Aleah I sculpted several BJD in paperclay as OOAK and in porcelain too. My first BJDs have been offered to me by my otherself Paulette Goodreau. She started my collection as I couldn’t afford a doll at all by this time. And she’s also the one whom literally forced me to produce my bjds in resin ^^
¿Me dirías cómo conociste las BJD por primera vez, y comenzaste a esculpirlas? 
Conocí a las BJD a través del mejor artista de BJD en este planeta (en mi modesta opinión). El escultor japonés Hanano. Estaba buscando por referencias de marionetas dado que tenía que hacer una como una comisión, ya que hacía muñecas tradicionales. Entonces vi una foto del trabajo de Hanano. Tipié una búsqueda en Japonés y encontré su canal de YouTube. Cuando vi su película corta de sus muñecas en stop-motion, fue como un trueno cayendo sobre mi cabeza. Una muñeca que podía moverse como un ser humano… Era más allá de todos mis sueños ya que todos saben que esculpo por mi redención e INTENTO alcanzar una muñeca perfecta, casi un ser viviente, para recuperar mis 21 gramos que perdí cuando me enteré que mi hijo es autista. Intento reparar mi falta al dedicar mi vida a la forma humana y buscar hacer el ser perfecto ya que no pude hacer que mi hijo sea perfecto y ahora cada día sufre su autismo.
Así que, ahí mismo, hice una. No sabía cómo estaba hecha, ni qué estaba haciendo yo realmente, pero gracias a foto-tutoriales para tensar muñecas en internet, entendí cómo estaba hecha e hice mi primera, que es Bearded Lady y ahora vive con mi amigo y colector Chris. ^^
Es algo nuevo para mí, ser dueña de mi propia BJD… tan extraño como puede parecer, tuve mi primera luego de que hice a Aleah en resina por primera vez; y antes de Aleah esculpí varias BJD en paperclay como OOAK y también en porcelana. Mis primeras BJD me fueron ofrecidas por mi otro yo, Paulette Goodreau. Ella comenzó mi colección dado que no podía costear una muñeca en ese momento. Ella también es quien literalmente me forzó a producir mis BJDs en resina.

CircusKane HumptyDumpty, by NeferKane

The names you pick for your molds have always been a mystery to me. How do you choose them? And why do you choose them?
Many are named after friends nicknames. I always give nicknames to my closest. So I ask them if they would let me use those nicknames I use to call them. Fortunately, I never had a refusal so far ^^
Also It can be a mix of things as for Nexeven who is a Replicant of Movie Blade Runner, but from new generation. In the movie they were Generation Nexus 6. So mine is Nexus 7,it led me to the name Nexeven.
But also, as I am a pure movies addict, it can come from a movie. My bjd Stella was named after a “Street Car Named Desire” movie with Marlon Brando and Vivian Leigh. The character Stella. ^^
And also, as there’s a real mess in my mind it can be something which sounds obvious to me, like my newest one “Monkey.” She’s a monkey girl… so her name is Monkey. LOL
Los nombres que elijes para los moldes siempre han sido un misterio para mí. ¿Cómo los elijes? ¿Y por qué los elijes?
Muchos son nombrados según los apodos de algunos amigos. Siempre les doy apodos a los más allegados. Así que les pregunto si me dejarían usar esos apodos que yo uso para llamarlos a ellos. Afortunadamente, nunca nadie se ha rehusado ^^ Además puede ser una mezcla de cosas como con Nexeven, que es una Replicante de la película Blade Runner, pero de una nueva generación. En la película, ellos eran Generación Nexus 6. Así que la mía es Nexus 7, lo que me llevó a llamarla Nexeven.
Pero también, como soy una pura adicta a las películas, puede venir de una película. Mi BJD Stella fue nombrada por la película Street Car Named Desire, con Marlon Brando y Vivian Leigh. El personaje Stella ^^
Y además, dado que hay un verdadero lío en mi mente, puede ser algo que suene obvio para mí, como la nueva Monkey. Ella es una chica mono… así que la nombré Monkey. LOL

Do you plan on sculpting a boy? Why?
Yes I do. I have a character in mind, quite manga one, that I plan to sculpt probably by the end of Spring. I am not sure boys are very liked by collectors but this one is a boy which deserves at least to be a prototype. The collectors will decide if he deserves to be cast in resin ^^
Why a boy?
Because I think a girl cannot be everyone. Sometimes, you have to switch the genders to reach your goal as a “peoplemaker.” Cause that’s what I try to be, a peoplemaker ^^
I also plan a sexless doll. This summer I think s/he’ll be done.
¿Planeas hacer un chico? ¿Por qué?
Sí. Tengo un personaje en mente, bastante de manga, que planeo esculpir probablemente para el final de la Primavera. No estoy segura de que los chicos sean buscados por los coleccionistas, pero este es un chico que al menos merece ser un prototipo. Los coleccionistas dirán si merece ser casteado en resina ^^
¿Por qué un chico? Porque creo que una chica no puede ser todos. A veces, tienes que cambiar de género para alcanzar tu meta como un ‘crea-personas’. Porque eso es lo que intento ser, crear personas ^^.
También planeo una muñeca sin género. Este verano creo que él/la estará hecha.

CircusKane Ettie, by NeferKane

Another intrigue I have always had. Why you only produce your dolls one time? Why do you do only one preorder?
Because I consider my dolls as being “ somebody.” At least, this is really what I try to do, sculpt persons.
I don’t think you can reproduce a character endlessly. It has no sense to me. It’s like writing a book, you can’t write the same story over and over again. Also, it comes from my nature : I am always running and such an impatient person, I cannot do the same thing all the time. I would be horribly frustrated and sad to make them over and over again. I must confess I am already sad to not sculpt more, though I make a prototype a month. My mind is running and I need to make new things, new characters, new dolls. I have this irresistible need to make new things, to try to invent new joints, new things never seen before on BJD. As an artist, I could not produce again and again the same doll for I could not put in her and the face up I make all my heart like at first preorder and it would be very visible.
Also, I think it’s very precious sentimentally to my collectors to have a doll I put in all I have in my guts, then for them to know that it’s beyond money for me. That I will make new dolls, I will try to invent someone else, very different and try again to make them love the new doll. It’s always a big risk to make a new doll cause I never know if collectors will want to adopt her or not. They know they have not everyone’s doll when they adopt mine, that it’s a rare doll, always very limited edition and it makes them feel special; for my collectors are indeed very special to me. They are almost all my friends now ^^ and it’s a blessing that I want to pay back to them by making really special and rare dolls for them ^^
Otra intriga que siempre he tenido. ¿Por qué sólo produces tus muñecas una sola vez? ¿Por qué sólo haces un pre-order?
Porque yo considero que mis muñecas son “alguien”. Al menos, eso es lo que intento hacer: modelar personas. No creo que puedas reproducir un personaje sin fin. Para mí no tiene sentido. Es como escribir un libro, no puedes escribir la misma historia una y otra vez. También se debe a mi naturaleza: siempre estoy corriendo y soy una persona tan impaciente que no puedo hacer la misma cosa todo el tiempo. Me sentiría horriblemente frustrada y triste de hacer todo una y otra vez. Debo confesar que me entristece no esculpir más, aunque hago un prototipo por mes.
Mi mente está corriendo y necesito hacer nuevas cosas, nuevos personajes, nuevos muñecos. Tengo esta irresistible necesidad de hacer cosas nuevas, de intentar inventar articulaciones nuevas, cosas nunca antes vistas en una BJD. Como artista, no podría producir la misma muñeca una y otra vez porque no podría poner en ella todo el corazón que puse en la primer preorder y eso sería muy visible.
Además, creo que es muy precioso sentimentalmente para mis coleccionistas tener una muñeca en la que puse todo mi esfuerzo, sabiendo que para mí no es solo dinero. Que haré más muñecas, que intentaré inventar a alguien más, muy diferente intentar lograr que amen la nueva muñeca. Siempre es un gran riesgo hacer una nueva porque nunca se si mis coleccionistas querrán o no adoptarla. Saben que al adoptar una mía no tendrán la de alguien más, que es una muñeca muy rara, siempre de ediciones muy limitadas y que los hace sentir especiales; mis coleccionistas son muy especiales para mí. Ahora son casi mis amigos ^^ y es una bendición que quiero pagarles al hacer muñecos muy raros y especiales para ellos.

I remember one time you said you don’t do the same face up twice. Why?
That’s true. I can make the same style than a former face up of mine, but all my collectors know that I cannot make the very same one twice. There will always different details.
Again, it’s because I make people. So, I make my face up myself, and not through my factory which could reproduce them if I’d ask for. I hand paint all of them for the collectors whom require one. And in every of them, I truly make SOMEONE. My collectors know me very well and they are happy with the way I work. They know they will have a unique doll, from A to Z made by me; and they are indulgent with my vision and don’t ask for the very same one than another person or the very same one they saw on my website. I thank them very much for their support especially because I know I am not an “ordinary dollmaker” and I have peculiar rules in my work. But I am very lucky for they are all very encouraging , kind and sweet to me. They even trust me saying “ whatever you want to paint” and THIS brings me totally over the moon!! It’s a great honor when you know that someone trusts you so much and let at your appreciation all the details of something such personal and intimate as a doll can be for a collector. It’s also bliss when they say about three words and with them, I have to make a complete painting! Challenging but very enthusiastic and wonderful to do!
Recuerdo que una vez dijiste que no haces el mismo maquillaje dos veces. ¿Por qué?
Eso es verdad. Puedo hacer el mismo estilo que un maquillaje mío anterior, pero todos mis coleccionistas saben que no hago el mismo dos veces. Siempre habrá detalles diferentes.
Nuevamente, es porque hago personas. Así que hago yo misma el maquillaje, y no a través de mi fábrica los cuales podrían reproducirlo si yo se los pido. Pinto a mano para mis coleccionistas que así lo requieren. Y en cada uno de ellos, realmente hago a ALGUIEN. Mis coleccionistas me conocen muy bien y están felices con la forma en la que trabajo. Ellos saben que tendrán una muñeca única, hecha por mí de la A a la Z; ellos son indulgentes con mi visión y no piden por el mismo que vieron en mi sitio, y que era para otra persona. Les agradezco mucho ese soporte especialmente porque yo sé que no soy una “escultura de muñecas ordinaria” y que tengo reglas peculiares en mi trabajo. Pero soy muy afortunada de que todos me soportan, de forma dulce y amable. Incluso confían en mí diciendo “lo que quieras pintar” y ESO ¡realmente me deja sobre la luna! Es un gran honor cuando alguien confía tanto que deja a tu criterio todos los detalles de algo tan personal e íntimo como puede ser una muñeca para un coleccionista. También es una bendición cuando dicen cerca de tres palabras y con eso tengo que hacer una pintura completa. ¡Desafiante pero muy entusiasta y maravilloso para hacer!

CircusKane Iracebeth, custom "Albino Hearth", by NeferKane.

Finally, do you want to share some of your future plans with us?
My future plans… I am starting a real MSD size doll. I tend to sculpt in small scale, and this for a simple reason : when I became a dollmaker, I couldn’t afford all the clay that I wanted, so I automatically sculpted in small scale to save some clay. It became a sort of reflex!
But now, I am trying to “dream bigger” so I sculpt a bigger doll ^^
IF all goes well, there will be something never done before on that doll, but before talking about it, I must succeed the sculpting part… LOL
Also.. Very very soon… There will be a big surprise on my site! Something very very new for me and I am overexcited but at the same time overstressed! I am always overstressed! LOL
Finalmente ¿quieres compartir alguno de tus planes futuros con nosotros?
Mis planes futuros… Estoy comenzando una muñeca de tamaño MSD verdadero. Tiendo a esculpir en escala pequeña y esto es por una razón simple: cuando comencé no podía costear toda la masilla que quería, así que automáticamente modelaba en escala pequeña para ahorrar un poco. ¡Se volvió un reflejo!
Pero ahora, estoy intentando “soñar en grande” así que esculpiré una muñeca grande ^^
SI todo va bien, será algo nunca hecho antes en esa muñeca, pero antes de hablar sobre eso, debo tener éxito en el proceso de modelado… LOL
También… muy, muy pronto… ¡Habrá una gran sorpresa en mi sitio! Algo muy muy nuevo para mí y que me tiene muy excitada pero también estresada. ¡Siempre estoy muy estresada! LOL

Thank you for taking the time to answer!
Thank you so very much for your wonderful and original questions and your kindness Musume ^^
¡Gracias por tomarte el tiempo de responder!
Muchas gracias por tus maravillosas y originales preguntas, y por tu amabilidad, Musume ^^

This is it! Thank you so much NeferKane! And guys, feel free to share in any social network you know! I hope to keep up this section!

http://www.circuskane.com

6 comments :

  1. Que buen reportaje. Muy buenas las preguntas. Me encanta la idea de que todos los maquillajes sean diferentes. Únicos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, todos sus faceups son bien diferentes :3

      Delete
  2. Qué interesante *o* me gusta esta nueva sección de tu blog, con las entrevistas se aprenden muchas cosas *____*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, ya tengo en mente la siguiente artista. Debo contactarme con ella :)

      Delete
  3. muy linda entrevista! muchas gracias por tomarte el tiempo de ponerla también en español!!! :3

    ReplyDelete