Sunday 3 March 2019

Interview with SleepySheepy's Dreams

Hello everybody! Another interview is here, as proof that time flies! Today I want to introduce Niki from SleepySheepy's Dreams to you: she is a very versatile artist based on the USA. I hope you will love this interview!

As always, all photos are used with permission, and the interview is in English and Spanish. So without further ado... let's start!

Hello and thank you for doing this! Would you introduce yourself?
Hello, my name is Niki, I’m known as Sleepy.Sheepy’s.Dreams and I am a doll maker, BJD wig maker and face-up artist located in the USA, in the smallest state - Rhode Island!
¡Hola, y gracias por la entrevista! ¿Te presentarías?
Hola, mi nombre es Niki, y me conocen como Sleepy-Sheepy’s Dreams. Soy una artista de muñecas BJDs, hago pelucas y maquillajes desde USA, en el estado más pequeño: Isla Rhode.


How did you find out about BJDs and the doll hobby? Do you have an artistic background?
I found out about BJD one day back in 2007 while looking for custom artwork of a Japanese musician on Deviant art. I fell in love with BJD and found Obitsu and ordered what I thought was a BJD. Her name was Sharon, named after a video game character in Silent Hill. I do not have formal education in any art, I self taught everything I know. Mostly I did my own research on anatomy and articulations for my own doll. All my face-up and wig work started with much trial and error.
¿Cómo conociste las BJDs y el hobby de muñecas? ¿Tienes educación artística?
Encontré las BJDs un día en 2007 cuando estaba buscando piezas de arte de un músico japonés en DeviantArt. Me enamoré de las BJD y encontré Obitsu y encargué una creyendo que se trataba de una BJD. Su nombre era Sharon, por un personaje en el videojuego Silent Hill. No tengo educación formal en ningún arte, porque aprendí todo sóla. Principalmente, investigué anatomía y articulaciones por mi cuenta, para mi propia muñeca. Todo mi trabajo de maquillaje y pelucas comenzó con muchas pruebas y errores.


You are a really versatile artist! You do wigs, face-ups and are even creating your own doll! What came first and why? How did things roll up?
With my first doll, I assumed that everybody just painted their own doll and so I started collecting materials for painting dolls. So face-ups were the first thing I started. I tried with clothes making and it wasn’t something I felt like sticking with but I did learn a lot from it. Enough to appreciate doll clothing makers hard work. Eventually I wanted an affordable larger doll so she could model the clothes that I was making at the time, which were not professional looking at all haha. Eventually I moved on to smaller dolls and when I did I started refining my work on face-ups and wanted to branch out into wig making for my personal collection. Starting sculpting my doll, Sheepy between this time ( around 2012-13 is when I started)
¡Realmente eres una artista muy versátil! Haces pelucas, maquillajes ¡e incluso tu propia muñeca! ¿Qué vino primero, y por qué? ¿Y cómo evolucionaron las cosas desde ahí?
Con mi primera muñeca yo asumí que todos simplemente los pintaban ellos mismos, así que comencé a preparar los materiales. Así que los maquillajes fueron lo primero que hice. Intenté hacer ropa, pero no era algo que realmente me gustara, aunque aprendí mucho de ello. Eventualmente, quería una muñeca accesible pero más grande que pudiera modelar la ropa que yo hacía, la cual no era para nada profesional. Eventualmente, me moví hacia muñecas más pequeñas, y fue ahí cuando refiné mi trabajo en maquillajes, ya que quería abrirme hacia las pelucas para mi colección personal. Comencé a esculpir mi muñeca, Sheepy, por esta época (comencé alrededor de 2012-2013).



Your wigs are colourful and cute! What materials do you use? Any preferred style? Do you work with commissions or only stock sales?
Thank you. I use various materials, sometimes it varies depending on the style of wig. However my basic material list consists of: Soy top fibre, bamboo top fibre and alpaca locks as the wigs hair, then as the cap I use stretchy cloth like thin cotton jersey or Pantyhose. To affix the hair to the cap I use tacky glue and craft glue typically.
My preferred style is basic front part wigs, very long and many colours! My second favourite is my ponytail wigs! Currently I do not accept commissions unless it’s with close friends who understand and have purchased from me before. Getting wig colours just right can be very difficult and I would be upset if I couldn’t achieve the colour a customer expected.
¡Tus pelucas son coloridas y bonitas! ¿Qué materiales usas? ¿Tienes algún estilo favorito? ¿Trabajas con comisiones o stock?
Gracias. Uso varios materiales, aunque a veces varía dependiendo en el estilo de peluca. No obstante, mi lista de materiales básicos consiste de: fibra de soja y de bambú, rizos de alpaca para el cabello, y para el casco uso telas elásticas como jersey de algodón o nylon. Para fijar el cabello uso pegamento de artesanías. Mi estilo favorito son pelucas con una separación básica, muy largas y con muchos colores. ¡Mi segundo favorito son colas de caballo! Actualmente no acepto comisiones salvo que sean amigos cercanos que me han comprado previamente. Obtener los colores justo puede ser algo muy difícil, y me pone mal no lograr el color justo que el cliente esperaba.



You also do face-ups! Do you have any preferred materials? And a style?
I have been doing face-ups for almost 10 years but I consider myself professional since about 3 years ago. (it’s already 2019?!) When doing a face-up I am very sensitive to my mood, surroundings and of course my materials. I very much prefer watercolour over acrylic and very high quality Schminkle pastels and will only work with UV cut sealant. To be honest, you don’t need expensive materials to paint a doll. I like to do my own fun quirky mix of neon and pastels, with LOTS of mica glitters. I love making the dolls sassy, sweet and smiley. For me, I see BJD as happy objects and that is mostly why I always paint them with smiles, I get this asked often. I do not like to make any face-up the same, each one is different and unique.
¡También haces maquillajes! ¿Cuáles son tus materiales preferidos? ¿Y el estilo?
He estado haciendo maquillajes por casi diez año, pero me he considerado profesional sólo desde hace tres (¿¡Ya es 2019!?) Cuando hago un maquillaje, son muy sensible a mi humor, mis alrededores y mis materiales. Prefiero las acuarelas sobre los acrílicos, y pasteles Schminkle de alta calidad, y sólo trabajo con sellador con pantalla UV. Para ser honesta, no necesitas materiales caros para pintar una muñeca. Me gusta hacer mi propia mezcla de pasteles neón con muchos brillos. Me gusta que las muñecas tengan carácter pero sean dulces y sonrientes. Para mí, veo las BJDs como objetos felices y por eso siempre las pinto sonriendo, lo cual es algo que me preguntan mucho. No me gusta que todos los maquillajes sean iguales: cada uno es diferente y único.



And you are doing a doll! A cute sheep-girl of course! How did that project start? Is she related to your store name “Sleepy Sheepy Dreams”?
Sheepy as a character started many years ago, I think about 9 now. I had a Fairyland Littlefee Bisou that I had named Sheepy. At one point he didn’t work for me and started to sculpt a doll in my likeness. Eventually, when I had the plans started, she was a cat girl with heart shaped knee and elbow joints. I think I took too much of a big bite on that project and set it aside and once again I started sculpting a head with my likeness. She was the beginning of Sheepy. After all that, Sheepy doesn’t look like me in the least bit! Haha. After that I just adapted my name to revolve around Sheepy. A dreamy sheep, with delicate dreams is what I imagine her to have.
¡Y estás haciendo una muñeca! ¡Una hermosa ovejita, por supuesto! ¿Cómo comenzó el proyecto? ¿Se relaciona con tu nombre “Sleepy Sheepy Dreams”?
Sheepy como personaje comenzó muchos años atrás, creo que nueve. Tenía una Fairyland LittleFee Bisou que había nombrado Sheepy. En un punto no funcionó para mí, y comencé a esculpir la muñeca a mi gusto. Eventualmente, cuando todo comenzó, ella era una chica-gato con rodillas y codos con corazones. Creo que fue demasiado como proyecto, y lo dejé de lado para comenzar otra cabecita a mi gusto. Éste fue el principio de Sheepy. Luego de todo eso, ¡Sheepy no se parece a mí en nada! Hahaha. Luego de eso, simplemente adapté mi nombre para que gire en torno a Sheepy, una ovejita dormilona, con delicados sueños, así como la imaginé.



Do you have any workplace to share with us? How do you manage so many things?
I do! I wish it was honestly larger! It’s also a mess quite often.
¿Tienes algún espacio de trabajo para compartir con nosotros? ¿Cómo te las arreglas con tantas cosas?
¡Tengo un espacio! ¡Honestamente, desearía que fuera más grande. Frecuentemente está muy desordenado.



What is your stance about recast?
I am against recast. As a small artist, I can see all the hard work put into making a BJD and to purchase a recast is stealing and disrespecting the artist who created that work.
¿Qué opinas de los recasts?
Estoy en contra de los recasts. Como una pequeña artista, puedo ver el trabajo que implica hacer una BJD y comprar un recast es robar e insultar al artista que creó ese trabajo.


Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
Thank you for this amazing opportunity! I have never had an interview on my BJD related work and I feel honored that you chose me. I would like to give a shoutout to my vet loving Fiancé who is an eye maker for bjd, @Lemon.Jelly.Shoppe, and to my best friend and clothes maker: @madeofstardustdolls for being AMAZINGLY supportive and shining stars in this hobby. Please look forward to a Sheepy preorder around May 2019!
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
¡Gracias por esta increíble oportunidad! ¡Nunca había tenido una entrevista respecto a mi trabajo con las BJDs, y es un honor que me elijeras. Me gustaría darle un empujón a mi adorada prometida, que hace ojos para BJDs: Lemon.Jelly.Shoppe y a mi mejor amiga que hace ropa: MadeOfStardustDolls por ser tan increíbles y dar tanto apoyo en este hobby. ¡Por favor, esperen una preorder para Sheepy cerca de Mayo de 2019!


Thank you very much for doing the interview!
Thank you for all the love, encouragement and guidance to my friends and followers! ❤
¡Gracias por hacer la entrevista!
¡Gracias por todo el amor, apoyo y guía a mis amigos y seguidores!




And this was all for today! I hope you enjoyed the interview as much as I did! You can find Sleepy.Sheepy.Dreams on the following sites:
And this was all! Please, do not repost the interview, just share the link: a lot of work goes on arranging and preparing these interviews. If you want to translate them to another language, let me know. I hope you are doing great, and have an awesome new month!

10 comments :

  1. Another great interview. I wasn't familiar with Sleepy Sheepy Dreams, despite the fact that Rhode Island isn't far from here. I love her wigs. Her doll reminds me of the Nympheas Squirrel I have on order. It's going to be very cute when she finishes it and gives it a face-up, clothes and wig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and happy you like the interview!
      I love Sheepy (the doll) as she looks really cute! Also, congrats on the order :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks. Sheepy (the doll) also reminds me of Momoni.

      Delete
    3. That is true! I haven't thought of that, but I agree!

      Delete
  2. A very interesting interview, thank you for sharing. I love this artists wig, they're so very pretty!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well you've done it again Musume! Interesting interview, and the wigs look lovely with great fantasy colours!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear!! I agree with the wigs!!

      Delete
  4. Time really does fly by very fast, can not believe that March is already here.
    Another good interview and a new artist to me, have not heard about Niki and her work. Always grateful to learn to know new artists in the hobby. Her work is amazing, those wigs are so colourful and I agree with three thoughts about face up's - need more smiling and happy doll faces. :) Thank you for sharing this interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true!! I'm happy you like Niki's work, then! The wigs are indeed super colorful and look lovely!

      Delete