Sunday 25 August 2019

Invisible Doll Stand: Review

Well! My birthday is in August, so my partner got me a new stand, so I could go back to displaying Venezia on my desk during weekends. Doll stands are not cheap, there are several types, and all of them have different pros- and cons-... but then I found the Alice Collections "invisible stand", which is the one I got!


The stand came with a plastic sealing on the clear base... but as soon as I got it out, and started taking this pics, the base got a Mr Scratch all the way around, just to being on the floor. I had vacuumed the floor just before taking the picture: it was clean, no "stones" or anything that could scratch it.

The hook that holds the doll is "manual": you have to open each side with your fingers, as it is not a press-to-keep-open thing. Though it is slightly covered in a silicon cap, it still scratched V's leg anyways. It came with an additional rubber thing that you could put on the hook. I put those, and the glue was so pathetic that it fell off as soon as I put Venezia in, and got glued to her resin!! D:


I tried to get one of the poses with the doll "in the air" that I've seen with this stand... but it was impossible. The thing cannot withstand Venezia's weight, the base flipflops all over the place, and the hook doesn't close hard enough to actually have some grip on the doll, so she kept flopping around weirdly. The above was the only stiff thing I managed before being stupidly annoying at the stand.

The metal thing is quite hard and difficult to move around, and since it is in the side and not in the middle, I doubt I can use it as a saddle stand and have it hidden under a mighty dress... which was something I was hoping I could do.

I tried to see if I could hold her by her neck, but it is impossible. The stand is way too short, and it barely reaches her neck, besides the hook doesn't close enough for it to actually hold her there. Regardless of that, it works decently when holding Venezia from her tight or waist, but you have a really weird "loop" at her side or beside her... which is not comfortable at all if you have a small space.




However, a positive thing is that you can bend and twist the whole thing, and then manage to get it out of your picture completely, or hide it behind your doll's leg or outfit. I like the stand, it fulfills its purpose... but honestly? I was expecting far more. Especially considering what I've seen some people do with this stand in 1/3 scale.

It may be more sturdy in another scale, and it is true that Iplehouse dolls are more heavier in any size than dolls from other brands... but overall, I feel this stand has more negative points than positive ones. I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't purchase it again, to be honest. But at least (and what matters to me for now) is that I can have V standing on my desk, without fear of having her fall! I honestly missed her.

Anyways, if you know of good stands, feel free to share your knowledge in the comments! Have a great week! :D

8 comments :

  1. I have two of these stands: 1/3 and 1/4 size. I gave up on the 1/3 size immediately as it didn't hold heavy 1/3 size dolls. I used the 1/4 size for a while with a Dollmore Ballerina Kid. It's a fun stand to use for ballet leaps and off-the-ground-poses. The metal part of the stand is distracting; it's anything but invisible and requires tedious photoshopping afterwards to make it disappear. Both my stands have a large hexagonal base, rather than the small round base you have, so I don't experience the amount of instability you do. I've had mine for several years; maybe the newer stands are smaller. My biggest problem is the amount of space this stand requires. I finally stopped using the 1/4 stand because I can display two dolls in regular stands in the same amount of space as this one takes up with its wide base and big metal arm. My verdict: the stand is a nice idea but it needs further refining to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on this! And thank you so much for all that insight into the 1/3 stand! Can I add your comment to the main post, for future references?

      Delete
  2. From the description and the photos on the site, the stand looks great and very workable. Sad though that it did not work as you had hoped for. I do not own a stand, but have been looking for one because it can give so much support for the doll and give more ways to pose. A saddle stand would be great in my mind, but that works with long dresses or if the doll stands in high grass or similar. And the stands I have seen does not have the clear base. Have seen clear sticks, mostly for Blythe, so that is a way too...
    Great review, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy that the review was useful! I agree, the stand looks nice on the picture but it needs a lot of rework to be actually usable. Check Coolcat's stands, because they have one that comes with the saddle+waist type, and you can switch back and forth, which may be useful. However, it is a little bit more expensive than this one.

      Delete
  3. This is a really useful review, thank you for sharing it with us. I'm disappointed that you have not had great success with it because yes, on the Alice Collections site it looks like it could be used for some great poses. I would love to find a stand that I could use for photos that wouldn't take too much photoshopping out, but in the end I tend to use a stick or something and hope for the best.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am happy this helped you!! Yes, I was quite disappointed as well, especially because I was looking forward to it, honestly. But oh well. A stick is not a bad idea at all! :D

      Delete
  4. I have this stand for 1/4 size doll, my Raccoon girl. But I use it only to keep her safe on the desk while I'm sewing. And for this - it's perfect. ;)
    As Sharon wrote, when it comes to photos I use stick or something like that. It's much easier to hide. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is great to keep it on the desk while sewing/doing other stuff! And I agree, it is not suitable for photos at all. A stick would be better!

      Delete