Sunday 1 September 2019

New Camera! ~ Almost Box Opening

Hello everybody! Yes, yes, as it sounds! I have a new camera! It was quite unexpected, but oh well. I want to share a little about the story of how I got it, and some things that happened in between. The camera I got is the Sony a6400 with the 16-50mm default kit lens; it is a mirrorless camera (you can find more about that in my first video about cameras).

Originally, I wanted to get another Nikon: the D7500... but then I found out they were discontinuing tons of DSLR in favour of their mirrorless. I didn't want to get stuck with old tech, because then it is way harder to resell to keep upgraded. But I wanted to remain in crop-sensor. Sony has the leadership in mirrorless, great prices, sharp lenses and the reviews regarding the customer service are great. So I placed this camera on my wishlist, and sold my Nikkor 50mm lens... and I wasn't expecting getting it!


So, first of all, I sold my lens. I wasn't expecting for it to sell that fast, considering the effort it was to sell my old camera... but there is tons of people on Australia, and the economy is quite different here. Then, I got the tax return and carefully saved it, plus, throwing every spare cent I had there as well. I was hoping for Black Friday, when all prices are really lowered, because I didn't had enough and the Sony a6400 was quite expensive.

But one Wednesday, I went to different stores to basically ask for lenses, try them on the display cameras... because I wanted to have video recordings for my next video about cameras. You guessed it, it is going to be about lenses.

So I went to one that is really big and has a great variety of products, and asked for the a6400 and a couple lenses. But they didn't have it! The seller told me they had a shortage after sells increased, and they had even sold the display models. And said that the waiting-list for the camera was around 2 months! So I went ahead and tried the lenses on the a6500 anyways. I needed the footage.

I knew there was another store (where I wanted to purchase the camera) that was running a discount offer during the month of August. That was A$150 less of the retail price. So I went there, and asked about the a6400... and they only had the display models! Being me, a cheap person, I immediately asked if the price was the same... because you know, the box was opened, the things scattered in the store, and several people had handled the camera. And yes, that was another A$130 out of the retail price. And I had a A$20 voucher because I was signed up on their email list, and it was my birthday month.

Guess what? I went out of the store with a huge smile, and a huge bag containing my new camera in two different boxes: one for the camera, and one for the lens!! :D I don't know how I was adult enough to not scream out of happiness as soon as I stepped out of the store.






I apologize for the only three pictures of the thing in particular, but I got to open it on a Wednesday at 7pm, after 9:30 hours at the office, so you can figure that it was too dark and I was way too tired (and excited!) to do more pictures.

So, having watched tons of videos about this camera (you don't know how many months I spent researching to decide on this model), I knew it had a complicated menu to set up and navigate. So I found a setting-up tutorial on YouTube (this one) that was 2:15 hours long and went through every single button and option in the camera. It took me three fucking days to actually go through it and configure the camera.

A 10 hours shift on Thursday plus additional things made it impossible for me to continue my task on Thursday. Then on Friday evening I did a little bit, and then on Saturday morning (I got up earlier than usual) I finally finished watching it... Of course, that Saturday had me rushing to a park with my dragons, and literally lying on the ground taking pictures of tiny dragons, while muttering to myself that I am, indeed, an adult. Best. Joke. Ever.

Never mind! You will see some posts with my new camera from now on, but I also have tons of pre-made posts that I made before moving, so you will also see them. Here are some additional pics of Cookie and the box, because I wanted to try my camera, you know... pointless of taking pics with the phone now.





So, this is all for today! I am beyond happy with this, and with all the tidy bits that ended up helping me to save tons of money on this one. Now, I need to decide on a prime lens. And edit all that footage for the next video about lenses. Gosh, it is going to be long! Have a good one, and thanks for reading :D

11 comments :

  1. How overjoyed you must be M to have found the camera you were looking for and at a bargain price to boot! Good to see you happy!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I could barely contain a scream of happiness when going out of the store!!

      Delete
  2. That is one great camera and at a nice price too! I would jump of joy too! :) Good luck with the camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is!!! I'm so happy about it!! Thank you :D

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on getting the new camera! I'm so happy for you. I thought your photos were great before but they are so much clearer now. Go ahead and jump for joy--you're earned the right.

    Buying a new camera always scares me silly--so many new things to learn! Most times I don't truly learn everything there is to know about the camera--I figure I'll learn it as I need it. Of course that never happens and I never learn the things I need to know. Just this morning I noticed a button on my camera that leads me to suspect that there is something available to help me make better close-ups. Who knew? I need to sit down with it and really explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true! I has always scared me a lot as well -it is a huge purchase, and you need to be really sure on what you are spending your money. I always try to explore my gear, but what you said also happens: sometimes, you just discover a new functionality!

      Delete
  4. Congrats! Now lets hope you find a great prime lense deal as well. And lots and lots of pictures hopefully follow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope so as well, but to find the deal, first I need to save money!

      Delete
  5. That is great news! I'm so happy for you that you got the camera you wanted, the lens AND managed to get money off, well done you!!
    The photos are so bright and colourful, so I think you really did make a great choice!
    Hugs Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I was so happy with all the money we took off!
      Happy you liked the pictures :D

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete