Sunday 8 September 2019

Changing Venezia's Story? ~ Rant Post

Hello there, everybody! I hope you are doing great! Here comes some sort of "ranty" post, honestly. First of all, to clarify, I do not want to sell Venezia: she is my grail, I'm keeping her. It is just that 1) I hate that unruly wig, and 2) her story feels... lacking, without Coco around. So I was thinking if maybe I should do some sort of "overhaul" and "re-start" her story with some changes.

Here comes a pretty pic. I love her colorful look here. The pink fabric was a gift from @kawaii_mon, who happens to b nearby me, and I met for lunch a couple weeks ago!


So, I have two main "concerns". The first one, is that somehow I don't see how I could keep writing her story, with Coco gone... and if I get Coco in a different form (i.e., another doll that is not a Withdoll Rachel), it will feel as weird as when one character is performed by a different actor in the sequel movie! It is like... it wouldn't be the same Coco. Though I liked that story, I feel stuck now. However, there are some things about V that are so inherently hers, to me, that I couldn't change that. Like her way of dressing, her romantic preferences, her overall character... I dunno no. But somehow, it is not her, without Coco. Or maybe, it is not her older self.

Just a small pause to think about what a non BJD-hobby person would say: "they are just dolls". My answer: "I know! But you don't understand!".

Besides, I sold most of my mini-sized props (except some cushions), so I have no way to set up a bedroom or couch like I did before. True, I can get a new one, but I am currently broke and don't have that much storing space anymore. So... maybe back to silly portrait-like pictures of my dolls? I do need to confess that since getting the stand and being able to have V standing near me, I really enjoy mix-matching outfit parts on the weekend, and having her standing near me. Definitely a new way of enjoying her, honestly.




That yogurt is perfect for her, right? There is a supermarket here that apparently does this "mini-products" things yearly. They come in sealed bags, so you never know what you are going to get. And they are collectibles. I don't shop much there, but when I did I got a mini dog food thing. So I went to Gumtree (similar to eBay, local, to trade used things) and found this guy that was looking for the mini dog-food, and had this yogurt. Of course, as an adult that I am, requested a trade, set up a meeting, and got this yogurt which fits perfectly on V's hands.

Anyways, back to the topic. The second fact is that I hate V's wig. Don't get me wrong, I love the style (maybe without the bangs), but the fiber is so thick, so unruly, and it keeps falling off!! It is so damn annoying! She has gorgeous eyes, but the wig's bangs insist on falling on her right eye, and if I push it backwards, then I have bald Venezia. Never mind if I'm taking a pic, try to fix one hair, and suddenly the whole wig pops out of her head. It pisses me off so hard.

So I started thinking on maybe doing an alpaca wig. But doing everything from scratch is really messy, and I'm overworked, and I doubt I'll have the time for it. So then I considered getting the fiber ready from ZergaStudio... and it is ridiculously expensive. After that I thought that if I spend that much and the wig ends up being shitty, I'm going to be even more mad; so maybe, purchasing a ready made wig could be the solution? But they are way too expensive, and I'm broke.

I could trade things up for a wig (like making clothes and all), but I doubt somebody would what that. I know I would like to go with a similar style (hip/waist length, wavy, side parting, no bangs)... but should I go with black anyways? I think that a fantasy colour would drive me mad, because then I would feel limited to matching her clothes to the hair... blonde on tan skin is cliche, and maybe black hair with blonde ombre towards the bottom. Something like this is impossible to find in fiber.

Then, I thought that maybe she looked too dark? That I could swap her eyes for the blue ones that used to be Coco's, and then the possible, not happening anytime soon Coco could have the greenish-brown eyes, and maybe they'll pop-up more on a lighter-skin doll?

TL;DR: Musume doesn't know WTF to do with Venezia. Re-start her story with slight changes? Make some appearance tweaks on her character? (mostly eyes and wigs). How to afford a wig? 



I know some of you may have been in similar situations before. How did you dealt with that? And overall... what would you advise me to do? I am so confused right know. Honestly! Anyways, thanks for keeping up with my rant, and wish you an awesome week!

8 comments :

  1. I really feel for you in your dilemma. It sounds as if you can't afford another Coco right now, so why not turn to the easiest problem first: the wig. I'm guessing that this is an Iplehouse wig based on its length, style, and heavy texture. Of all their wigs, the black ones are the most unruly. I've had them in several sizes and they all behave the same. Have you thought of buying the same style in a different color? Maybe from a different manufacturer who makes softer hair? Monique Gold has several similar styles in a variety of colors. Or you could give V a hairstyle makeover and a new story. Maybe she has moved and is restarting her modeling career in Australia. Eventually she can meet a fellow model who won't be Coco but someone new. The possibilities are endless. Whatever you do, don't sell your grail doll. You'll hate yourself for it later. Good luck whatever your decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've been dealing with the wig issue for now. Yes, it is an Iple wig and it is unruly af. I want the same style but in alpaca or something that looks natural and manageable. I want it without bangs as well. Or many, a short hair wig!
      I offered some trades for wigs, but for now, nobody has accepted D:
      If I continue their story, it would be were it always was, in France. I don't know. It is weird, and I'm not sure what to do about it. But you have definitely made some valid points! Thank you! I have a lot to think D:

      Delete
  2. Hi Musume,
    Glad you have made a friend of Mon, she's really into the BJD scene so you'll make a few more in no time. :)

    In regards to Venezia, I think BJW has some good advice, or why not go on DoA and offer to trade some of your sewing for a wig that you like? I like her suggestion about restarting her modelling career in Australia, it would be an easy transition.
    Hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we even work close by!
      I actually offered a couple people a trade for a wig, but nobody took it up yet, sadly D: I think that if I change her story, it will start from scratch, not related to the previous one.

      Delete
  3. Musume, rant away, we all need to rant sometimes.
    I agree with the the two posters above, a new storyline based in your new country, same personality, but new modelling career. And the wig, again a great idea to see if anyone would like to trade with you. Maybe have a look in the marketplace on DOA and see if anyone has a wig you like and then approach them about trading. You've nothing to lose, they can only say no.
    She's a lovely doll though, no wonder you want to keep her :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon! I know you agree, but that is not want I want to do, honestly. If I keep her story, I couldn't think that Coco left for good and she moved. So I only consider a blank page and starting over, in France, where the story had always been located.
      So far I offered 3 trades and all got a "no" for answer, but I'll keep trying!

      Delete
  4. I agree with the comments above, you do not need to change so many things to get a new feeling and in a way a new doll, but keeping her base story. A wig and eyes can make a big difference and give you more inspiration to do other smaller changes. I like her story as it is, but sometimes small changes come around. Hope you can figure it out and feel comfortable with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking I'll focus on those things now. I am hoping somebody will want to trade a wig for some handmade clothing D:

      Delete