Sunday 18 August 2019

Photography with Dolls: New Series!

Hello everybody, and welcome to my blog again :D Today I'm introducing a new series of videos. It was a long time ago that I realized that even though I love sewing, photography is an essential part of how I enjoy the BJD hobby. And I have been researching and compiling information... and you know me! Why should I keep that for myself? Better to share it on my blog and help somebody in the meantime as well!

So, I'm in no ways an expert, so I will just explain basic things on the videos, and then in the blog you will find tons of links to other (experts') videos that deepen some topics. I think it is the best thing to do. I am hoping on covering gear topics as well as tutorials in the future, when I get a camera.

What do you think of this? Here is the first video, which Cookie is hosting, because apparently she knows tons of things (graduation cap, check!). The links and additional information is under the cut!




So, first of all, do not worry if you see prices on the videos: I took them on different stores I visited, and they are in AUD... which may be a larger or smaller number for you, depending on where you live.


Useful Links


The following are links that extend or explain in more details some things I said on the video. These are from other YouTubers, which are professional photographers.
Be careful when you look for "mirrorless vs DSLR" videos -every YouTube will have an internal preference, and their videos would reflect that. So my suggestion is to not stay with one video: go and watch several of them.



Some Cameras


I cost me a lot of time to find out which camera was what (DSLR/Mirrorless, Crop/Full), so here is a list of them, and I also listed if they are entry-level or enthusiast ("enthusiast" means slightly more professional, but not that professional nor that expensive either).

The names have links that point to some videos I have watched about these cameras, and that may help you get started in your own research about cameras. You may see some repeated YouTubers' faces, but... I tend to watch certain channels. Who doesn't?

Model Type Type Notes
Nikon D3500DSLR
Crop-Sensor
EntryThis is a great, basic, entry-level camera. However, Nikon may be discontinuing this whole series.
Nikon D5600DSLR
Crop-Sensor
EntryA little bit more than the previous one, and not that expensive. Also rumoured to be discontinued.
Nikon D7500DSLR
Crop-Sensor
EnthusiastA more enthusiast camera, is a more expensive. This series will possibly continue.
Nikon D750DSLR
Full-Frame
EntryDo not confuse with the previous one, this is a full frame. Will posibly get a new body in the series.
Nikon Z6Mirrorless Full-FramePro EnthusiastEnthusiast almost professional. It is quite new and the most expensive on this list.
Sony A6000Mirrorless Crop-SensorEntryIt is old but awesome and really recommended. Cheap and entry-level as well. Plus, great auto-focus.
Sony A6400/A6500Mirrorless Crop-SensorEnthusiastNewer, more enthusiast/professional cameras. There are tons of reviews, but the A6400 is newer.
Sony A7 MkiiMirrorless Full-FramePro EnthusiastNot that new, great camera, not as expensive as the Nikons, and similar to the A6400 in price.
Canon EOS 1500D & 200DDSLR
Crop-Sensor
EntryEntry level, but I have no information if they are continuing or discontinuing these. They are quite cheap.
Canon EOS 80DDSLR
Crop-Sensor
EnthusiastSlightly more expensive and more enthusiast, but not that much. There are tons of reviews about it.
Canon 6D MiiDSLR
Full-Frame
EntryThis is an entry-level to the full frame cameras, and has a similar price enthusiast crop-sensor options.
Canon EOS M50Mirrorless Crop-SensorEntryA great entry level option to mirrorless crop-sensor, and comes in white. Sad point: really, really few lenses to choose from.
Canon EOS RMirrorless Full-FramePro EnthusiastThe cheapest of their mirrorless full frames, but still the second most expensive of the list.




I hope you will find this useful. Please, excuse the video and sound quality -it is a video about cameras, filmed with my phone... because I don't have a camera, only the lens that I kept. So, do you find this interesting? I think that next one is going to be about lenses: types, parts, and so on. If there is something you would like to see, let me know! I'll try to do it.

And so, I wish you a great week ahead! By the way, do you enjoy doll photography? What type of camera do you have or use?

8 comments :

  1. Interesting post M, but I already have a camera that I am happy with . . . at least for now and by the time I'm ready for a new one there will probably be another 10 to choose from. This is good info for someone looking to purchase one now though, so thank you for going to all the effort of posting this. :)
    Big hugs,
    X
    P.S. sorry about the deleted comment, spelling errors. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, but this is not a buyer's guide either. My idea is to help people who wants to buy something, and to help people with a camera to understand what they have, and how to use it... since everything said here will be fundamental for future videos. Hugs!

      Delete
  2. Interesting post. Like Xanadu I already have a camera. I'm not 100 percent in love with it but neither can I afford to replace it, so I put up with its idiosyncrasies. My camera is not on your list, making me suspect it's already discontinued. That's the trouble with technical equipment these days: by the time you buy something the technology has already jumped light-years ahead, leaving buyers with brand-new outdated cameras, phones, computers, etc.

    I hope the theme of your post means that you are ready to buy a new camera. You'll obviously want something compatible with your lens. Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. My idea with the post is not forcing anybody to purchase, but help them understand what they already have as well. if you know your gear, you know how to work with it. Sometime ago I used to think like you, but I believe that you can resell your old tech as soon as a new one come (that you want to get), so that you keep upfront and updated.

      I sold my lens during the past weekend, so will see where I go next!

      Delete
  3. I think that if people are looking for a camera and enjoy doll blogs, they will find this very useful. I am fortunate in that I have a nice Canon camera that I use all the time although I've now had it for several years so it's probably way out of date...but if it works then I will continue to use it. I really enjoy photographing my dolls but I'm not very adventurous lately.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Well, any camera is a good camera if you learn to use it! I will share more techniques and things in following videos!

      Delete
  4. Great post! :) Very useful! I have been looking for a simple camera to use, instead of always using my smart phone or getting help from my oldest daughter who has a very nice camera. This will take me some steps forward! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help!! I would personally suggest going with Mirrorless, and from the whole list, Sony a6000 if you don't want to spend that much. But I hope you get something nice!!

      Delete