Sunday 29 September 2019

Interview with Ebidoll

Hello everybody! New month is here, and this time we welcome Ebidoll to the blog! He makes amazing wigs, and is a real-life wig-maker, so his work is amazing! As always, all images are used with permission, and you can read this in English and Spanish. So... let's start!


Hi there! Welcome! Can you introduce yourself?
Hi, I’m Ebidoll a French guy, I’m 27 years old and I’m a wig maker in real life, this is my job. I’m making wig for dolls and also sometimes for people suffering from cancer. I love sharing and talk with people all around the world about our passion which is about the dolls. I remember when I was young (maybe at 5yo) trying a lot of hairstyle on my barbie doll (thanks mom to let your son playing with barbie dolls!), I’m a hair fetishist it obsessed me since I’m born! I remember I wanted at 4yo a plushies, something really different from the other kids because, this plushies was a cotton body but with a big barbie doll head with long hair (I wanted her just for the hair ahaha). So yeah, I’m making my kid dream job, and I can live my dream because of you. I feel really lucky!
¡Hola! ¡Bienvenido! Puedes presentarte?
Hola, Soy Ebidoll, un chico francés. Tengo 27 años de edad, y hago pelucas en la vida real. Este es mi trabajo. Estoy hacienda pelucas para muñecas, y también para personas que padecen cáncer. Me encanta compartir y hablar con las personas de todo el mundo, sobre nuestra pasión que son las muñecas. Recuerdo que cuando era chico (quizás cinco años), intentando muchos peinados en mi muñeca Barbie (¡gracias a mi madre por dejar a su hijo jugar con muñecas!) descubrí que tengo un fetiche con el cabello y ¡que me obsesiona desde que nací! Recuerdo que cuando tenía cuatro años yo quería un peluche, algo distinto de los otros chicos, porque este en particular tenía cuerpo de algodón pero una gran cabeza de Barbie con cabello largo (¡yo sólo lo quería por el cabello!). Así que sí, estoy haciendo el trabajo de mis sueños de cuando era chico, y puedo hacerlo gracias a ustedes. ¡Me siento muy afortunado!



How did you it all begin? How did you discovered BJDs?
I'm really into the passion of dolls since ... my youngest age as I said, I still remember crying in the legs of my mother to buy me the last Barbie dolls. In the BJD dolls community, I've been there for maybe 12 years now, I remember that I watched a French TV news talking about BJD Dolls, I was curious so I started to learn more about these dolls, I joined a French BJD forum after that.
¿Cómo comenzó todo? ¿Cómo descubriste las BJDs?
Realmente estoy apasionado por las muñecas desde… mis más tempranas edades, como dije, aún recuerdo llorar en las piernas de mi madre para que me comprara la última Barbie. Soy parte de la comunidad BJD desde hace quizás 12 años, y recuerdo que miraba shows de noticias francés, hablando de las BJDs. Me dio curiosidad, así que comencé a buscar más información y me uní a un foro francés.



And from there, how did you decide to work create wigs?
I’m making human size wigs hair by hair on a very thin and transparent lace for people suffering from cancer, I know this disease and I find it shameful to find synthetic wigs for people with cancer at an exorbitant price for a catastrophic result and not natural at all, my goal is to open my business for a medical cause. I also know that I can do 5 times cheaper, more comfortable and looks very natural and realistic. This is my goal and I will do my best to achieve it.
The Dolls are a real supports for me and allowed me to train on a smaller scale, so they changed my vision and allowed me to do some tests on "little wigs" when I started. It's also years of practice on a smaller scale.The Dolls were a real revelation in the cause I am defending today.
Since very young, I am a fanatic of the hair, it obsesses me, you can change all whole look just with the hair, the hair represents for me the personality of someone, it’s not “just hair” I’m really passionate and it is there that I had the idea to put in profit this passion for a noble cause.
I have been creating wigs for over 10 years now and I see in my wigs a real potential. My wigs is waterproof so you can dye, bleach the wig, shampoo… you can do so many possibilities with, it was really important for me to make something I wanted and I didn’t find when I was In the hobby, I always needed to change the wig of my dolls because you can’t dye it, curl it etc… and I love to play with hair ! For example; One day the hair is grey, the next day pink, sometimes straight another day curly ... An infinite panel with the same wig ... I already made five different colours, from black to emerald green, emerald green to red, red to pink and pink to grey ... And all without the wig being very damaged, a little care and *POOF* the wig is revived again.
For example, I remember a customer who she dyed the wig red after a year she bought this wig from me (the wig is naturally black, I did a caramel brown with some highlight on it). I was so happy to see that she enjoyed changing the hair colour of the wig I did a year ago. I started wigs on the Dolls also to avoid me to inflict my hair my desire to change colours every day, since that day my hair is much better and thanks me, so I can fill and control my impulses on the hair of my Dolls ahah.
Y desde ahí ¿cómo decidiste trabajar haciendo pelucas?
Hago pelucas para humanos pelo por pelo, en una capa muy transparente, para personas que sufren cáncer. Conozco esta enfermedad, y creo que es vergonzoso encontrar pelucas de plástico a un precio exorbitante, para un resultado catastrófico y nada lindo. Mi meta es abrir mi negocio para una causa médica. También se que puedo hacer esas pelucas cinco veces más baratas, más cómodas y que se ven naturales y realistas. Ese es mi objetivo, y hago lo mejor que puedo para alcanzarlo.
Las muñecas son un soporte real para mí, y me han permitido entrenar en una escala menor, así que cambiaron mi perspectiva y me permiten hacer pruebas “a pequeña escala” cuando comencé. También, son años de practicar así. Las muñecas fueron una revelación en la causa que hoy defiendo.
Desde muy joven, como fanático del cabello y obsesionado por eso, me di cuenta que podías cambiar la apariencia completamente. El cabello representa la personalidad de alguien, no es “sólo pelo”. Realmente me apasiona, y ahí está la idea de poner la ganancia en esta pasión para una causa noble.
He estado creando pelucas por diez años ya, y veo que realmente tienen potencial. Mis pelucas son a prueba de agua, así que las puedes teñir, blanquear, poner champú… así que tienes muchas posibilidades, y era realmente importante para mí hacer algo que quería y que no encontré cuando estaba en el hobby. Siempre necesitaba cambiar la peluca de mis muñecas, porque no podía enrularla, teñirla, etc. … ¡y me encanta jugar con el pelo! Por ejemplo, un día el cabello es gris, el otro día rosado, algunos lacio y otros enrulado… un panel infinito con la misma peluca. Ya hice cinco en diferentes colores, desde negro hasta verde esmeralda, verde a rojo, rojo a rosado, y rosado a gris… todo sin que se dañara la peluca, un poco de cuidado y *puf* la peluca revivió.
Por ejemplo, recuerdo a un cliente que tiñó la peluca de rojo luego que me la compró (era negro naturalmente, y había hecho algunos brillos en color caramelo). Estaba tan feliz de ver que ella disfrutó teñir la peluca que yo hice. Comencé con las pelucas de muñecas para evitar hacerle cambios a mi propio cabello todos los días, y desde entonces está mucho mejor y puedo controlar mis impulsos en las pelucas de mis muñecas.



You use different materials, but do you have a favourite one? Where do you work?
I’m using angora fibre, which is not the same as alpaca. I mean you can brush it easily without the hair fall, it didn’t tangle as alpaca but it’s smooth and malleable as alpaca, so there’s the advantages without the inconvenient. I did a lot of research, a lot of investment to try and find my personal provider, because there’s a lot on the market which is not a good quality, and I’m using only the best materials, same for the hair dye, I’m using only professional tools and products that your hairdresser using too.
And I’m using pure virgin human hair too. I love both fibres but, as I said I love realistic things and real hair is perfect for SD size for long hairstyle, each project have they own complexity, it’s my job to propose the best fibre for this kind of look and which technics will be the best, it’s like a team work job with my customer, this is some example with this one who’s a Californian blond with balayage and darker roots, my customer wanted a realistic fibre, which she can make some curls or straight the hair sometimes, she wanted her real hair colour made by her hairdresser :
About my workplace, I’m working in my home, I have a special place for that. I love playing with texture, colours, hairstyle, it’s not just “hair”, I’m learning since my youngest age and I still continue to learn every day. I don’t want to stay in my “basic” skills I want to improve more and more, I’m a litle perfectionist.
Usas diferentes materiales ¿pero tienes algún favorito? ¿Dónde trabajas?
Estoy usando fibra de angora, que no es lo mismo que alpaca. Puedes peinarla fácilmente sin que se caiga el cabello, no se enreda como la alpaca, pero es igual de suave y maleable, así que hay ventajas sin el inconveniente. Hice mucha investigación, muchas inversiones para encontrar un proveedor personal porque hay demasiado mercado de cosas de baja calidad, y yo sólo uso los mejores materiales. Lo mismo para la tintura: sólo uso herramientas y productos profesionales que usa tu estilista.
También uso cabello humano virgen. Me encantan ambas fibras, y como dije que me gusta el cabello realista y esto es perfecto para estilos largos para SD. Cada proyecto tiene su propia complejidad, y mi propósito es proponer la mejor fibra para cada tipo de estilo, junto con las técnicas que trabajan mejor. Es como un trabajo de equipo con mi cliente. Está este ejemplo de un corte californiano rubio con raíces oscuras. Mi cliente quería una fibra realista que pudiera enrular o alisar. Quería un color real hecho por su estilista.
Respecto a mi lugar de trabajo, tengo una zona especial. Me gusta trabajar con textura, colores, estilo. No es “sólo cabello”. Estoy aprendiendo desde que era muy joven, y continúo aprendiendo cada día. No me quiero quedar en las habilidades básicas, sino mejorar día a día. Soy un pequeño perfeccionista.



How do you work? Do you take commissions or offer a stock?
Sometimes I’m selling my own creation, at the moment I’m taking slot commission one time per month, usually the second week in the month, I’m working alone and I do everything (sending the package, contacting the customers, the whole administration part, making the orders with my provider…). About the commissions you can find all the info on my profile or in my Instagram story “INFOS” bubble story), I give all the info on Facebook too.
¿Cómo trabajas? ¿Por encargo o tienes stock?
A veces vendo mis propias creaciones. De momento estoy tomando una comisión por mes, usualmente la segunda semana del mes. Trabajo solo y hago todo (enviar el paquete, contactar clientes, todo lo administrativo, gestionar encargos con mi proveedor…). Sobre las comisiones, puedes encontrar toda mi información en mi perfil o en las historias de Instagram (la burbuja “info”). También detallo todo en Facebook.


You make a lot of styles, specially side cuts! What is the weirdest/most difficult wig you have made?
The most “difficult” wig I made was a full lace wig, hair by hair, on a transparent lace wig for a Pashpasha Mini size. You have to know making a lace wig take a lot of times, I needed months to create this one, the size is even more difficult to make. I need my lamp, my magnifying glass and my tweezers for that 😉
Haces muchos estilos ¡especialmente sidecuts! ¿Qué es la cosa más rara o difícil que has hecho?
La peluca más “difícil” fue una enlazada, cabello a cabello, en una base transparente, para una Pashapasha en tamaño mini. Tienes que saber que una peluca de este tipo lleva mucho tiempo. Necesité meses para hacer esta, y el tamaño lo hacía más difícil. Necesité mi lámpara, una lupa y pinzas para eso.



Do you have a personal collection of dolls? Which one is your preferred BJD brand?
My personal collection moved a lot, I’m more an artist more than a collector, I love creating ! Atm I have a Minifee Ria, Buck my Dollshe Arsene, my Sumner head on a Venitu body, and I’m waiting Neil from La légende de temps. I have some BJD head too to make my wigs (Iplehouse EID, Pashapasha mini...)
¿Tienes una colección personal de muñecas? ¿Cuál es tu marca favorita?
Mi colección personal ha cambiado mucho. Soy más bien un artista antes que un coleccionista. ¡Me encanta crear! Por el momento tengo una Minifee Ria, Buck my Dollshe Arsene, mi cabecita Sumner en un cuerpo Venitu, y estoy esperando a Neil de La Légende de Temps. Tengo algunas cabezas para hacer mis pelucas (Iplehouse EID, Pashapasha Mini…)


Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
Fun fact ; Ebi means shrimps in japanese, I pick this name because my friend call me like that. I want to thank you too for this opportunity you gave me to share my universe and my work with the community.
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Algo gracioso: Ebi significa camarón en japonés, y elegí este nombre porque un amigo me dice así. Quiero agradecerte por esta oportunidad que me diste de compartir mi universo y mi trabajo con la comunidad.




And this is all for today! As I always warn, feel free to share the link, but do not repost the interview; and if you want to translate it to another language... ask me first. If you want, you can find Ebidolls in the following locations:

Thanks for reading, and I hope you find his work as inspiring as I did! Have a great new month, while we prepare for Halloween :D

10 comments :

  1. Amazing! His work is absolutely stunning. Both for human and for dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His work is absolutely jaw-dropping! I love the cause that he has embraced. Working hair-by-hair on thin transparent lace sounds so labor-intensive, it's a wonder he can make a living at it. Ebidoll is a magician of the highest caliber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and he works for a great cause! I agree with you, he is a hair magician honestly!

      Delete
  3. WOW those wigs are wonderful, truly little works of art!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a passionate artist! He has found his dream place! Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! Glad you like the interview!

      Delete
  5. Another great interview. I had seen the boy with the natural hairline (the don't forget me-guy) before, but I thought it was photoshopped. Fanastic work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes, he is a very unique doll!

      Delete