Sunday 10 November 2019

Dragon's Meaning

What seams like an eternity ago, I shared my ideas for my dragons (read here). I did explain a little that they are based them on different mystical things. Some friends helped me define at least some of the basic concepts (like the runes, I have no idea about them). For example:
  • Aion has two Elder Furthark runes on his forehead: Jera (harvest) and Eihwaz (growth/life/death).
  • Theros (and the missing three dragons) have elemental symbols on their forehead. Theros is fire (the upward triangle).
Another thing, is that they are based on Tarot cards. I used an artsy deck to take these photos, and I will share a little more about their meaning here. I think this was a cool concept as in their lore, dragons are energies of the world so... the whole fairies story is quite mystical per se. Anyways I will stop writing and share some pics.




Aion is represented by the Death card which, surprise, does not represent physical death. It is about transition, harvesting, growing, life completed, leaving something to start something new, and so on. Through most fairies do believe him to be the "dragon of death", he is far more than that.


Nyx is more complicated, as she represents life, creation and the primal energy of the world. Therefore, her card is The World, though this also means completion, cycles ended, moving forward and so on. But there was not an exact card, and I refuse to simplify her meaning to something like "pregnancy and female fertility" (my inner childfree is terrified by that idea).


Finally, Theros represents power and expansion. The original idea was The Magician, which has a similar meaning, but I ended up with Strength. This is a card of doing power/expansion but with patience, with persistence and perseverance, kindly, and so on. And I thought it fit with her character. Plus, it has a lion and it looks so pretty.




Anyways, my idea was to share an insight on what inspired me to create this characters, and nothing more. I hope this do not offend anyone. I am wishing you the best! Have a great weekend, everyone!

8 comments :

  1. Beautiful cards. They remind me of the art of Alphonse Mucha. Will you be adding a rune or two to Nyx's forehead? It seems a shame to leave her out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That set is actually based on Mucha's drawings, and is called "Mucha Tarot"! So you have a great art knowledge hidden there!
      No, Nyx doesn't have a rune because she represents life and the "everything". So basically, I didn't put a rune on her because her power is so extense that goes beyond a single rune. Aion has two to try to convey his meaning.

      Delete
  2. These are lovely photos, the colours are so vibrant and bright, like your little dragons!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tarot cards are interesting, have a deck myself.
    Like the way you connect the dragons to different cards!
    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I see them as little collections of art, because some of them are amazing!

      Delete
  4. These cards are piecec of art - they are so beautiful. I like the idea of connection between them and the dragons. :)
    And the dragons are awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And yes, it is one my fave decks!

      Delete