Sunday 2 February 2020

Interview with DoDollsDream

Hello everybody! New year, new decade, new interview! Please welcome Małgorzata from DoDollsDreams, who makes awesome artists dolls! As always the interview is both in English and Spanish and all pictures have been used with permission.

Let's start reading! :D


Hello! Thanks for accepting the interview!
Hello! Thank you so much for inviting me. My name is Małgorzata and I’m a doll designer and sculptor from Poland.
¡Hola! ¡Gracias por aceptar la entrevista!
¡Hola! Muchas gracias por invitarme. Soy Małgorzata, y soy una diseñadora de muñecas de Polonia.



Do you have any artistic education? How did you find out about BJDs?
Since I was a teenager I was very passionate about Japanese culture and this is the field of my formal education. I came across ball-jointed dolls when I was learning about street fashion from Japan, especially lolita fashion. Before creating Margaret, all my encounters with art were just a hobby - like taking photos or drawing.
¿Tienes educación artística? ¿Cómo conociste a las BJDs?
Desde que era adolescente estaba apasionada de la cultura japonesa, y ese fue el campo de mi educación formal. Encontré las BJDs cuando estaba aprendiendo de moda callejera japonesa, especialmente el estilo lolita. Antes de crear a Margaret, todos mis encuentros con el arte eran solo un hobby -como sacar fotos o dibujar.


And how did DoDollsDream start?
Do Dolls Dream is my love letter to our wonderful hobby. After years of collecting and learning about different kinds of dolls, I was always hungry for more. Planning outfits, redressing dolls, taking photos - it brings me tremendous amounts of joy. I thought that making my own doll would bring me to a new level. I want to keep evolving and discovering!
I started sculpting my first doll, Margaret, in 2017 and released her for the first time in late 2018. The first and second release was fullsets made with talented artists. Dresses were made respectively by Aoi Hamilton and Kalcia's Workshop. Makeup artist I work with since the very beginning is Paulianne Dolls. We can understand each other really well and with her amazing talents, she brings my makeup designs into life, giving spot-on advice!
The second doll I made is Aurelia. I designed 3 different, fantasy-themed makeups to match resin colors. It was a huge challenge!
My goal is to make each doll release special. Some of the resin colors and all the makeups are unique to one particular preorder. As a single artist company I can only prepare between 5-15 dolls each time. At the same time, I'm still just a doll fan at heart and I keep appreciating and collecting other artists' work.
¿Cómo comenzó DoDollsDreams?
DoDollsDreams es mi carta de amor a este hobby maravilloso. Luego de años de coleccionar y aprender sobre distintos tipos de muñecas, estaba hambrienta por más. Planear ropa, cambiarles los trajes, sacar fotos -todo me traía mucha alegría. Creí que haciendo mi propia muñeca me llevaría a un nuevo nivel. ¡Quería seguir evolucionando y descubriendo!
Comencé a esculpir a mi primer muñeca, Margaret, en 2017 y la primera venta fue en 2018. Las primeras dos tandas fueron fullsets hechos con talentosas artistas. Los vestidos estaban hechos respectivamente por Aoi Hamilton y Kalcia´s Workshop. La artista de maquillaje con quien he trabajado desde el principio es Paulianne Dolls. Nos entendemos muy bien y con su increíble talento, trae mis diseños de maquillaje a la vida, aconsejando cosas muy buenas.
La segunda muñeca que hice es Aurelia. Diseñé tres maquillajes de fantasía diferentes, para corresponder a los colores de resina. ¡Fue un gran desafío!
Mi objetivo es que cada tanda de muñecas sea especial. Algunos son colores de resina y todos los maquillajes son únicos para esa tanda. Como una companía de único artista, cada vez sólo puedo preparar de 5 a 15 muñecas. Al mismo tiempo, también soy una aficionada de corazón y sigo aprenciando y coleccionando el trabajo de otros artistas.



How would you define your aesthetics? What inspires you?
I would describe my style as dreamy and feminine. I love frills, laces, and ribbons! My goal was to create a doll that would fit in that aesthetic, so she had to be a bit realistic but stylized. I try to work toward my own style by balancing those. I get inspired mostly by alternative fashion models, but I never base my dolls on one particular person. I just get attracted to particular features, like unusual lips shape or the expression. I hope to create dolls with non-mainstream kinds of quirky beauty. For example, Margaret has a very round face with puffy cheeks and Aurelia has a very prominent nose.
Recently I try to experiment with different aesthetics by mixing my favorite frilly style with fantasy, casual and so on. This is how I designed Aurelia’s limited edition makeups.
¿Cómo definirías tu estética? ¿Qué es lo que te inspira?
Describo mi estilo como soñador y femenino. ¡Me encantan las puntillas, encaje y moños! Mi objetivo era hacer una muñeca que encajara en esta estética, así que tendría que ser algo realista pero estilizada. Intento trabajar sobre mi propio estilo al balancear esto. Me inspiro mayormente en modelos, pero nunca baso mi muñeca en una persona particular. Sólo me atraen ciertas características, como una forma inusual de labios o de expresión. Espero crear muñecas que tipos de belleza no típicos. Por ejemplo, Margaret tiene una carita muy redonda con mejillas gorditas y Aurelia tiene una nariz muy prominente.
Recientemente estoy intentando experimentar con distintos tipos de estética al mezclar mi estilo habitual con fantasía y casual. Así es como he diseñado los maquillajes limitados de Aurelia.



You have gorgeous dolls! What is your process for creating them? How did you start?
My creative process always starts with an idea or emotion I would like to convey with a particular doll. I search for inspiration and make a lot of rough sketches. I tend to hoard my ideas in sketchbooks, Pinterest or on my tablet. To make sure I keep it organized I name my dolls early. I learned sculpture and software from my husband who is a professional 3d artist.
I work both digitally and traditionally. I start by sculpting digitally using ZBrush and Blender software. Then print early prototypes at home, sand and prime them by hand. It's always a long phase of trial and error until the doll looks how I envisioned it. When you sculpt digitally you work on a flat monitor surface so there is always a lot of room for improvement after you see the actual prototype in real life. To achieve the best possible quality and preserve subtle details I use professional printing services for the final prototype. Even then it has to be sanded and finished by hand to achieve a smooth surface. When the doll is cast in resin all unevenness will become visible. I assemble and pack all the dolls by myself to ensure the best posing straight of the box.
¡Tienes hermosas muñecas! ¿Cuál es tu proceso para crearlas? ¿Cómo empezaste?
Mi proceso creativo siempre empieza con una idea o emoción que me gustaría transmitir con una muñeca particular. Busco por inspiración y hago muchos bosquejos. Tiendo a almacenar mis ideas en libretas, en Pinterest o en mi tablet. Para asegurarme que todo está organizado, les doy un nombre bien temprano. Aprendí escultura y software de mi marido, que es un artista 3D profesional.
Trabajo digital y tradicionalmente. Comencé esculpiendo digitalmente usando Zbrush y Blender. Luego imprimía los prototipos en casa, los lijaba y les colocaba primer. Siempre ha sido una larga fase de prueba y error, hasta que la muñeca se veía como la imaginé. Cuando esculpes digitalmente trabajas en la superficie plana de un monitor, así que siempre hay mucho que mejorar luego de ver el prototipo en la vida real. Para alcanzar la mejor calidad posible y preservar esos detalles únicos, uso servicios profesionales de impresión al final. Luego tiene que ser lijado y terminado a mano para darle un acabado suave. Cuando se castea a resina, todo lo desparejo se hará visible. Armo y empaco las muñecas yo misma, para asegurarme que posan perfecto al salir de la caja





What are your plans in the future? Will you offer new sizes or male dolls?
At the moment I’m working on a new doll for my Marionette line (50,5 cm classic doll line) named Ursula and I’m developing a new fashion doll for my Narrative Line. In the nearest future, I plan to work on different sizes. I think my biggest challenge would be a male doll as it is a whole new different aesthetic to discover.
¿Cuáles son tus planes a futuro?
Por el momento, estoy trabajando en una nueva muñeca para mi linea Marioneta (línea clásica de 50,5cm de alto) llamada Úrsula, y estoy desarrollando una nueva muñeca para mi Línea Narrativa. En el futuro cercano, planeo trabajar en distintos tamaños. Creo que mi desafío más grande sería un muñeco hombre, porque es una estética completamente diferente para descubrir.


Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us? Margaret was released on 18th January! This time I prepared an additional sleeping version of her - Lullaby Margaret. There will be also a special limited resin color and makeups. Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Hubo una tanda de Margaret el 18 de Enero. Esta vez preparé una versión dormida adicional – Lullaby Margaret. También hay colores de resina y maquillajes limitados.


Thank you very much for doing the interview!
Thank you very much! If you liked my dolls please follow me on social media! I post photos regularly and enjoy interacting with other doll fans.
¡Muchas gracias por hacer la entrevista!
¡Muchas gracias! ¡Si les gustaron mis muñecas, por favor síganme en las redes sociales! Subo fotos regularmente, y me encanta interactuar con otros fans.



And this is all for today! I'm always been stunned by her dolls, they are unique (that nose!) and the styling is just so cute. Anyways, you can (and should!) check DoDollsDreams on her social sites:
As always, please don't repost the interview and just share the link. A lot of work goes into making these. If you want to translate it to another language, let me know first! And that is all for today~ I wish you an awesome February full of love! Good luck!

10 comments :

  1. Another great interview! Lovely dolls--I especially like the slimmer fashion doll in the next-to-last photo. Malgorzata's sculpting is impressive. I never would have guessed that her education did not focus on art and sculpting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She has adorable dolls, I really like the one you say!

      Delete
  2. I need a blue doll in my collection! Fell for the blue adorable doll! So stunning!
    Wonderful interview, as always, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours are really amazing, right?
      Happy you liked this!

      Delete
  3. These dolls are lovely, their hands are particularly beautifully sculpted.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are! I really loved the details in their hands!

      Delete
  4. Great interview! Another amazing artist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely interview, I like her dolls a lot, they're amazing. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Her dolls are very interesting!!

      Delete