Sunday 17 May 2020

Robotime DIY Dollhouse: A Summary!

Hello everybody! So in December I got this Robotime DIY Dollhouse kit, which was on an heavy sale. It is a whole dollhouse full of props.

I started assembling it on December on my annual leave, and recorded more than 16 hours of me assembling the house! I wanted to make a whole video. I had to format my camera's card 4 times because I run out of space. However, as soon as I started with the video, the disk died. It just stopped working... I took it to two (2!) repair stores, and the diagnosis was the same: internal damage (technically, it was an external HDD and the motor just broke? Wut!?). Repair it would cost me more than A$1200 that I did not had and wasn't going to spend on that.

I honestly was so sad, as I really really wanted to share that. It was so amazingly find and hard to assemble the house, but so worthy! I'm posting this so late, because between all of that, getting both diagnosis on my HDD took me two months, and then I already had a lot of posts scheduled (my dragon project!).

So I started scrapping my WhatsApp conversations with my mom, and I had tons of crappy phone pics. I didn't care about the angles on these pictures, so please bear with me. I tried my best for cropping and editing, but it is just not the same.



Assembling


The one I got is called "Miller's Garden" and in the future I want "Sam's Study" for Aion. The are perfect for the Aileendoll dragons (Pico and Plapico) but they are a tad bit short for 16cm dolls. I think they may be fine with Lati Whites or Puki Puki (I think?)... the 10cm tall BJDs.

They come in a tiny box, and everything is encased inside: even your tools! Mine had a pot of white acrylic, a tube of white latex, a huge glue bottle, a painting brush, and some pliers. You'll also need a ruler, a pencil, scissors and probably a cutter.


The walls are the things that you see in the picture above (bottom) at the left, under the marked template. I had to paint them white using the paint that came with it, and then the "nice" side is actually paper that you cut and paste on top. Here are some pics without the doors and windows, and after the leaves as well.

I must say that the kit is really well-thought. The drain you see on the right is a straw and the top is paper, and many of the flower pots are actually buttons! I found some of them on Lyncraft, so they are buttons! :O

They also really play the "paper craft" thing, and many props are craft from cutouts from different types of papers. They also reuse everything, like the template you saw above!






You are given some green foliage as well as fake moss in two colours! The leaves and plants are really witty! Here is one of the last plants, but the leaves in the ceiling are the same. You need to fold the paper, cut the leaves, and then use the pliers to paste them one-by-one. The ceiling took me I think... 4 hours to be made? Between cutting the leaves and pasting them. The potted plant was about 1 hour or so.




Nice Picture


So, here are some nice pictures of Theros (Summer) and Eiar (Spring) enjoying their favourite place. I hope I can arrange the back of the house (what would actually be the inside of it!) to use it for photos as well. And it has light! I have a really short phone video of me testing the lights, though. Maybe I can share it on Instagram?

Anyways, enjoy the pics!















10 comments :

  1. I love this kit! It's designed along the same lines as the café kit I bought a year or two ago. Lots of paper pieces to cut out and assemble. I still haven't started to put mine together. Every time I pull out the box and look at the stuff, I groan and say I don't have the time or the energy or the patience or...whatever. So I truly admire the effort you put into assembling yours. I'm surprised the room works with the tiny dragons. I bought my kit hoping it would work with RealPukis, but the more I looked at it the more I thought there wouldn't be enough space for them to move around and the furniture would be too small.

    Ah-ha! It is the same as mine. I followed your link and two of the others pictured (the Greenhouse and Sam's Study) were on the website I ordered from (https://www.bitsandpieces.com/category/crafts-and-models). There are only 3 kits offered currently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Do you have the cafe with the piano? I love that one, I want it!!
      I think that the room will work with 10cm dolls. These plapicos are 8cm and quite think, so they probably will work.

      There are actually lots of kits right now! I think they have about 7-8? At least, if you order from Robotime Official, where most of the kits are.

      Delete
  2. These kits are so lovely, have been eyeing on some myself. Especially the Sam's study or Jason's kitchen. Maybe some day! Then I need the patience too. Lost mine somewhere at the moment. :D Your house looks beautiful and the dragon looks good in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they are! You should get them, Sam's Study is gorgeous! And the kitchen has so many things!! Yup, they do require a lot of patience to assemble. Some more than others, though.

      Delete
  3. If you think those are crappy photos you should see some of the ones I put on my blog when I try to do tutorials. The house looks amazing, very detailed, and I bet it was worth every single hour spent assembling it.
    Too bad your computer broke. I had the same issue years ago and I lost lots of photos and content because I hadn't done a backup copy in ages. Hope you manage to find a solution that doesn't cost you a fortune.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you!! The house is amasing, I loved doing it!
      It wasn't the computer -just an external drive, thankfully. But I'm still pissed af after that situation D:

      Delete
  4. Great job! And the "pretty pictures" are gorgeous! What a beutiful plac you made! Little cute dragon seems to like it a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I'm so happy with this setup <3

      Delete
  5. This is so lovely, you made a great job of it, it's really great and works very well with the little dragons. I love the leaves, they look so effective.
    I'm sorry to hear about all the videoing you did though, that is really bad luck. But I'm glad that you were able to share with us all the same.
    Big hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! The leaves are so slow, but really, really effective!

      Delete