Sunday 3 July 2022

Interview with TeenyTinkers

Hello everyone! Welcome to another interview, with Rosie from TeenyTinkers! She has a very unique, colourful and fantastical aesthetic, that is surely going to stand out. As always, all images are used with permission, and this is translated to both English and Spanish. So without delay... let´s dive in!

Hello! Will you introduce yourself to the readers?/>
Hello! My name is Rosie, and I am the creator of Teeny Tinkers Dolls and the Teeny Tinkers Youtube channel. I’m from northern Ontario, Canada.
¡Hola! ¿Te presentarías para los lectores?/>
¡Hola! Soy Rosie, la creadora del canal de YouTube llamado TeenyTinkers. Soy del norte de Ontario, Canadá.



How did you find out about BJDs and the doll hobby?
Honestly, it feels like ages ago. I was scrolling around on Pinterest looking for miniature knitting patterns or something, and I happened to scroll to a picture of the cutest doll. I’d never seen anything like it! It turned out to be an Elfdoll Dami or Yumi which belonged to icantdance on instagram I think. But I was smitten. I dove into the hobby, and fell in love with it!
¿Cómo conociste las BJDs y el hobby de las muñecas?
Honestamente, se siente que fue hace años. Estaba navegando en Pinterest buscando pequeños moldes para tejer o algo similar, y encontré una foto de la muñeca más adorable que había visto. ¡Nunca había visto algo así! Resultó ser una Elfdoll Dami o Yumi, que pertenecía a @icantdance en Instagram, creo. Pero me encantó. Me sumergí en el hobby y me enamoré!


And from there, what inspired you to create your dolls?
Honestly, I just wanted to try it. When it’s something I’ve never done, and something I’m very interested in, I always have a go. I had a character in mind, and I’d never seen a doll like her character. I needed a round-eyed, thick-bodied elf girl with fantasy facial features. I started with some air dry clay, then paper clay. It was messy, and kind of a mess. But I went through a few variations until I got a solid idea of what I was trying to do. I commissioned someone to help with some of the 3d modelling and jointing. I worked on the base files from there. It felt easier to learn when I had an example I could open in the 3d software and use trial and error. Finally, I had a friend print me my first prototypes, as I was still nervous about 3d printing myself. When they arrived and I assembled them, my heart exploded, and I knew this was something I needed to keep doing.
Y desde ahí ¿qué te inspiró a crear tus propias muñecas?
Honestamente, quería intentarlo. Cuando es algo que nunca he hecho, me intereso mucho e intento darle una oportunidad. Tenía un personaje en mente, y nunca había visto una muñeca como ese personaje. Necesitaba una elfa de rasgos fantásticos, ojos redondos y cuerpo grueso. Comencé a probar con masilla que seca al aire, y luego paperclay. Era difícil y bastante sucio. Pero pasé por varias variaciones hasta que obtuve una idea sólida de lo que estaba tratando de hacer. Le encargué a alguien que me ayude con el modelado 3D y las articulaciones. Trabajé en los archivos base desde ahí. Se sentía más fácil aprender dado que tenía el ejemplo que podía abrir en un archivo 3D para hacer prueba y error. Finalmente, una amiga me imprimió los primeros prototipos, ya que aún estaba nerviosa sobre imprimir yo misma. Cuando llegaron y los armé, mi corazón explotó. Sabía que era algo que tenía que continuar haciendo.



You have very unique dolls, with long legs and a clear aesthetic. What were your artistic goals?
My goals? Honestly, I just make what I like. I make what I find cute. I like fantasy creatures in bright colors, and big, sweet eyes. I like soft expressions and delicate hands. I like tummy balls, and more “doll-like” aesthetics. You likely won’t catch me going for realism, but never say never I suppose! As for the long legs, I didn’t try to do that so much as it just happened, and I really like the way it looked. I’m sure one day I’ll make a stubby-legged doll, but for the time being, legs for days!
Haces muñecas muy únicas, con piernas largas y una estética clara. ¿Cuáles son tus metas artísticas?
¿Mis metas? ¡Honestamente, sólo hago lo que me gusta! Hago lo que encuentro adorable. Me gustan las criaturas fantásticas en colores brillantes y con ojos grandes. Me gustan las expresiones suaves y las manos delicadas. Me gustan los estómagos redondos y estéticas más “de muñeca”. Seguramente no me vas a encontrar aventurándome en el realismo, pero nunca digas nunca, supongo! Por las piernas largas, la verdad que no intenté hacerlo, sino que sucedió, y realmente me gusta como se vé. Estoy segura que un día haré una muñeca de piernas cortas, pero por el momento, piernas por días!



You offer dolls in fantasy-colours other artists don’t dare! And mix-match dolls like Clover! What inspired you to offer this variability? What are your plans moving forward, and how are colours handled?
It’s fun! That’s the long and the short of it! I’m big on color, and doll diversity, human or fantasy tones! Plus, it’s a dream of mine to eventually have an entire rainbow of Teeny Tinkers Dolls. I do repeat colors sometimes! With Hollow and Sodapop, I wanted to offer a couple of overlapping colors for the body swappers out there. I will likely do this in the future with Cricket and other dolls that share the same body. The tricky bit is that colors tend to run slightly different in different casting batches. As long as people are aware, I think it’s a fun thing to do. I will always aim to offer at least one human skin tone, and two fantasy colors with each doll release. As for the Franken-Clovers, I had some parts laying around that were leftover from misprints, and one day I strung them together. I posted the first Franken-Clover on Instagram in my stories and I got so many dm’s about it, I thought I’d make some cute variations for her spring release. Ice Queen was the most popular, and I felt really bad I only made one!
También ofreces tus muñecas en colores de fantasía que otros artistas no se atreven. ¡Y mezclas colores, como con Clover! ¿Qué te inspiró a ofrecer esa variedad? ¿Qué planes tienes a futuro, y cómo manejas los colores?
¡Es divertido! ¡Esa es la versión corta! Me gusta el color y la variedad en las muñecas, en tonos humanos o de fantasía. Además, es un sueño mío ofrecer todo un arcoíris de muñecas TeenyTinkers. A veces sí repito los colores. Con Hollow y Sodapop quería ofrecer un para de colores sobrepuestos para los que les gusta cambiar de cuerpo. Probablemente haga esto en el futuro con Cricket y otras muñecas que comparten el mismo cuerpo. La parte difícil es que los colores tienden a ser un poco diferente en cada bache. Mientras que la gente lo note, creo que es algo bastante divertido de hacer. Siempre voy a ofrecer al menos un tono humano y dos de fantasía por cada reléase. Por las Franken-Clovers, tenía algunas partes sueltas que eran sobrevivientes de malas impresiones, y un día las tensé juntas. Posteé la primera en Instagram y tuve tantos mensajes, que pensé que podía hacer algunas variaciones para la venta de primavera. La reina de hielo fue la más popular, y me sentí mal por hacer sólo una!



What is your workflow? Do you do everything by yourself?
It’s a bit chaotic if I’m honest! I start by drawing a character, typically in Procreate, though sometimes on paper. I’ll do this a bunch until someone sticks out to me. Then I move their picture to my sculpting software as a reference and get to work! I do all the prototyping and modding myself, though my partner helps me clean my printer sometimes! When my master is smooth and I like the fit of the joints, my partner helps me get primer on, so I can sand it off. Rinse and repeat. Then, we ship the doll to the caster. I work with the caster for a while to make sure everything is just right, and then order my samples, and pay molding fees, finishing fees etc. Once I get the samples, if I’m happy (I’ve always been happy haha) I start getting the website, products, photos, and everything ready for the preorder. I try to work with other artists on my packaging and fullsets. My bags are made by @stellarrevolutiondesign on Instagram, a fantastic seamstress right here in Canada. @Hopefulcreation makes my wigs, I love his blends and his wigs are plant based, which is important to me. Fullsets for Hollow and Sodapop are not artist made, sadly. I am hoping next time to have more time to work with an artist on them (hit me up!)
¿Cuál es tu flujo de trabajo? ¿Haces todo por tu cuenta?
Es un poco caótico, si soy honesta! Comienzo dibujando un personaje, típicamente en Precreate, aunque algunas veces en papel. Hago mucho esto hasta que alguien salta a la vista. Entonces muevo mi dibujo a un software de modelado como referencia y comienzo a trabajar. Hago todo el prototipado y modificaciones por mi cuenta, pero mi pareja me ayuda a limpiar la impresora. Cuando el maestro está suave y me gusta el calce de las articulaciones, mi pareja me ayuda con el primer, así puedo lijarlo. A repetir. Al final, mando la muñeca al casteado. Trabajo con el casteador bastante para asegurarme que todo está bien. Luego encargo las muestras, pago los costos de modelado, de terminación, etc. Luego de obtener las muestras, si estoy contenta (siempre, por ahora), comienzo con el sitio web, los productos, las fotos y todo para comenzar el encargo. Intento trabajar con otros artistas en el empaquetado y los fullset. Mis bolsas las hace @stellarrevolutiondesign de Instagram, una increíble costurera de Canadá. Las pelucas las hace @Hopefulcreation porque adoro las mezclas que hace en las pelucas, y son basadas en planta, que es importante para mí. Los fullsets de Hollow y Sodapop no son de artista, lamentablemente. Espero la próxima vez podés trabajar con alguien (contáctenme!).



I’m curious about the name TeenyTinkers. Some of your dolls, like Hoda and Sodapop, are mini-sized rather than tiny (16cm)! Does the name have a special meaning?
Teeny Tinkers has nothing to do with the size of the dolls! When I first started in the doll hobby, I only had a couple of those little ⅛ plastic dolls. But I had a little roombox/diorama on the corner of my desk that I would play with between work meetings. They were teeny, and I was tinkering.
Me da curiosidad el nombre TeenyTinkers. Algunas de tus muñecas, como Hoda y Sodapop, son tamaño mini y no tiny (de 16cm). ¿Tu nombre tiene un significado especial?
TeenyTinkers no tiene nada que ver con el tamaño de las muñecas! Cuando empecé en el hobby, sólo tenía un par de las mini de plástico. Pero tenía un pequeño diorama en la esquina de mi escritorio con el que jugaba entre reuniones de trabajo. Eran pequeñas (teeny) y yo estaba jugando (tinkering).


Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
Lots in the works! Working on slim MSDs, and potentially will have a line of YOSD girls down the line. Most of my current focus is the Sodapop/Hollow preorder and getting Cricket ready and cast!
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
¡Hay mucho en preparación! Estoy trabajando en Slim MSDs, y potencialmente voy a tener una línea de chicas YoSD. Actualmente me estoy concentrando en Sodapop/Hollow y sus encargos, además de tener a Cricket lista y casteada!


Thank you for doing the interview!
Yeah, thanks for asking me! It’s always fun to chat about dolls, sculpting and all that good stuff! To everyone reading, if you want to make art, do it. Do it for yourself, and do it to learn something new. Don’t compare yourself to other artists, and don’t tear other artists down. Ask for help and be kind to others. Make the art and the community you want to see.
¡Gracias por hacer la entrevista!
¡Gracias por invitarme! Siempre es divertido charlar con muñecas, modelando y todo eso! Para todos leyendo, si quieren hacer arte, háganlo. Hazlo por ti mismo, para aprender algo nuevo. No se comparen a otros, no insulten a otros artistas. Pidan ayuda y sean amables. Hagan el arte y la comunidad va a querer verlo.




This has been all for today, and if you want to find out more about TeenyTinkers, you can find her here: As always, feel free to share the link, but do not repost the interview. I hope you have liked her work, it's so unique and different!!

4 comments :

  1. Thanks for the interview. It's fun to read how a doll line's name was "born". I sometimes wonder how doll makers go about finding a name for their creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed! I really like how different her dolls are--very unique and fun!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this interview, I did not know about her. She does amazing work and those dolls look special. And talk about legs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, they look very special! Those legs are killers!

      Delete