Sunday 7 August 2022

Interview with Jesseleelooleeloo

Hello everyone! Please welcome Jess also known as Jesseleelooleeloo, a Philippines-based faceup artist who also makes amazing urethane eyes! As always, all photos here are used with permission, and the interview is translated to both English and Spanish. Enjoy!

Hello! Thank you for doing the interview! Would you introduce yourself to the readers?
Hi! I'm Jes of Jesseleelooleeloo,I'm a Face up and Resin eyes artist from Manila, Philippines but also interested in mixed media arts.
¡Hola! ¡Gracias por participar en la entrevista! ¿Te introducirías a los lectores?
¡Hola! Soy Jesseleelooleeloo, una artista de maquillaje que también hace ojos de uretano. Soy de Manila, en las Filipinas, y también estoy interesada en artes de múltiples medios.



Let's Start with the basics. How did you discover BJDs?
Well it's a bit of an odd story but it started with stickers that I bought when I was in 6th grade perhaps. It had a photo of Tender Too and Tender Bee in it. Since it was a long time ago, I didn't know what it was (internet is scarce in my country at this time) I just thought they're magical and dreamt of having one. I kept that sticker and converted it into a drawing because I was that obsessed. To add, my obsession got fueled even more by the movie "Doll Master" and a local show here in my country that featured "Mistula", an all BJD band. I’ve been into art since I was young so you can tell how much my eyes glimmered when I saw them.
Empecemos con lo báscio. ¿Cómo descubriste las BJDs?
Bueno, es una historia un poco extraña, pero comenzó con unos stickers que compré cuando estaba en el sexto grado. Tenía una foto de Tender Too y Tender Beee. Dado que fue hace mucho tiempo, no sabía qué eran (internet era escaso en mi país en esa época). Yo sólo creía que eran mágicos y soñaba con tener una. Mantuve ese sticker y lo convertí en un dibujo porque estaba obsesionada. Para agregar, mi obsesión se disparó aún más con la película ¨Maestro de Muñecas¨y un show local en mi país que mostraba a “Mistula”, una marca de BJDs. He estado embebida en el arte desde que era pequeña, así que se imaginarán cómo brillaban mis ojos cuando las ví.


How did you started offering face-up commissions? Do you work with commission slots?
I got my first monster high doll, she got the first wave of my experimentation. Then I moved to doing bigger dolls and joined a local group where I shared my progress. That is when people commented and said they liked what I did on my doll. I was so happy to hear this and got his flame inside of me ignited that I need to learn more! As months go by, I started getting inboxes asking if I do commissions. I was hesitant to take in requests at first because I think dolls are like children and I don’t want to mess up and hurt their parents since I am super new to doll customization. But since people in this hobby are super welcoming, they encouraged me to start and the rest is history. Now after taking up commissions by slots for more than two years, I can say that I am still the old me that is anxious but more comfortable in handling dolls. I can now do body blushing, tattoos and even eyes that I never thought I could do. With plans expanding with air brush, repairs, modding and hopefully I can make my own heads in the future. (It’s not bad to dream right?). I can say that though my improvement took a long time to develop, I am proud that I did not end my journey when I had struggles with my own art. I am also grateful that I have this immense support which I use as inspiration.
¿Cómo comenzaste a ofrecer maquillajes? ¿Trabajas con encargos?
Conseguí mi primera Monster High Doll, así que ella obtuvo la primera ronda de mi experimentación. Luego me moví a trabajar con muñecas más grandes, y me uní a un grupo local donde mostraba mi progreso. Ahí fue donde la gente comentó que les gustaba lo que había hecho en mi muñeca. Estaba muy feliz de escuchar eso, y una pequeña llamita se iluminaba en mí, empujándome a aprender más. Los meses pasaron y empecé a recibir correos preguntando si hacía encargos. Tenía dudas de tomar pedidos al principio porque creía que las muñecas eran como niños y no quería arruinarlas y “lastimar” a los “padres” dado que era muy nueva a la personalización. Pero dado que la gente en este hobby es muy buena, ellos me llevaron a comenzar, y el resto es historia. Ahora, luego de tomar comisiones con lugares por más de dos años puedo decir que sigo siendo la anterior yo que se pone ansiosa pero está un poco más comoda manipulando muñecas. Ahora puedo hacer body blushing, tatuajes, e incluso ojos que no había pensado en hacer. Tengo planes de expandirme al aerógrafo, reparaciones, modificationes, y quizás hacer mis cabecitas en el futuro. ¿No es un mal sueño, verdad? Puedo decir que mi mejoría llevó su buen tiempo, estoy orgullosa de que no terminé mi jornada cuando tuve dificultades con mi arte. Estoy muy agradecida de tener este increíble suporte que uso como inspiración.



You do pretty varied work, from texture, glitter to face tattoos and more fantasy styles-and all equally impressive! What are your favourite and most challenging styles?
Oh my~Thank you. My favorite would be the most challenging, which is the realistic ones! Every realistic face up that I do is a learning curve for me especially when it is combined with other styles like fantasy and concept based ones, I can say that I am a bit addicted to learning new stuff! First is the attention to detail that I have to improve. I personally use real human references and even ask my husband and some of my friends to let me study their skin textures, how their brow hair flows, lashes, how skin blushes from the inside, even sweat. I also have to figure out how I can execute it and divide each detail by layers to avoid overcrowding or some details getting lost after working for hours over it. I also get to experiment with materials! From sealants to different kinds of paint, thinners and retarders. I get to push myself in observing each and how they behave because personal experiences vary. I know this may sound weird but even my behavior changed when I have seen myself being extremely patient with things especially layers and becoming resilient if something doesn't work out the way I wanted to.
Haces trabajos muy variados, desde textura, glitter, tatuajes faciales y muchos estilos de fantasñia… ¡y todos son igualmente de impresionantes! ¿Cuál es tu favorito y cuál el más desafiante?
Oh, gracias. Mi favorito es de hecho el mas desafiante ¡que son los realistas! Cada maquillaje realista es una curva de aprendizaje, especialmente cuando se combina con otros estilos como fantasía o basados en un concepto. Puedo confirmar que soy un poco adicta a aprender cosas nuevas. Primero es la atención al detalle que tengo que mejorar. Prefiero usar referencias de personas reales e incluso preguntarle a mi marido o amigos que me dejen explorar la textura de su piel, como se mueve el pelo de las cejas, pestañas, como la piel se sonroja desde adentro o transpira. También tengo que darme cuenta cómo tengo que ejecutarlo y dividir cada detalle en capas para evitar recargar o que algunos detalles se pierdan después de horas de trabajo. ¡También tengo que experimentar con los materiales! Desde los selladores a diferentes tipos de pintura, thinners y retardantes. Tengo que empujarme a mí misma para observar cada detalle y cómo se comportan, porque las experiencias personales varían. Sé que suena raro, pero incluso mi comportamiento cambió cuando me volví muy paciente con agregar capas, y volviendome más resistente cuando las cosas no salen como quiero.



Do you have a workplace to share with us? How do you organize to do Face Ups?
I’m happy to share with you my small workstation. It’s a mess to be honest but it’s a place where I feel like it's an extension of my being. As much as possible I have all the things I need within reach to save time and a place in the apartment where there’s little to no sunlight to protect my client’s doll. As you can see, I do have a lot of brushes. I also ensure that what I use for resin eyes will not be used for doll heads to avoid damaging dolls I don't own. It’s like my greatest fear! Also, because I get asked about this, I use that dust pump (the red little thing) to remove dust, eraser bits and excess pastels on eyes and heads. So if you’re not using it yet, I highly recommend it! It changed my life! I’m not sponsored lol.
¿Tienes un espacio de trabajo para compartir? ¿Cómo te organizas para hacer los maquillajes?
Estoy encantada de compartir mi estación de trabajo. Está desordenada, para ser honesta, pero es un lugar que se siente como una extensión de mi ser. Me gusta tener al alcance todo lo que necesito para ahorrar tiempo, y en el departamente hay muy poca luz solar para proteger las muñecas de mis clientes. Como pueden ver, tengo muchos pinceles. También me aseguro que lo que uso para los ojos de resina no será usado para el maquillaje, para evitar dañar muñecas que no son mías. ¡Es mi peor miedo! También, porque me preguntan esto, uso ese espolvoreador (el tarrito rojo) para quitar el polvo, borrar partes y exceso de pasteles en los ojos o cabezas. Así que si no lo estás usando, ¡lo recomiendo! ¡Cambió mi vida! No me está sponsoreando, jajaja!



You also sell urethane eyes! What sizes do you offer? Do you sell them as commissions or in stock?
We have sizes from 8MM up to 22MM both in small and large irises and as of now we only have flat and mushroom shaped bases. For eyes I can only do commissioned pieces by batch and include some premade ones in the sale. The pre-made ones are the designs I came up with while experimenting and learning. I also add them up to my catalog so my clients can choose, mix and match if they do not have a design in mind yet.
¡También vendes ojos de uretano! ¿Qué tamaños ofreces? ¿Los vendes por encargo o tienes stock?
Tenemos tamaños de 8mm a 22mm con irises largos o chicos, y por ahora sólo tengo bases planas y tipo hongo. Para los ojos sólo puedo hacer comisiones por bache, he incluyo algunos prehechos en la venta. Los prehechos son diseños que me inventé mientras estaba experimentando y aprendiendo. También los agrego a mi catálogo para que los clientes puedan elegit, o mezclar si no tienen un diseño en mente.



Back to Face-Ups, has your style changed/evolved through the years?
My goal from the very beginning I started doing face ups is to reach the hyper realistic level and I think it is still my goal. I love macabre and dark arts but I am slowly seeing my work revolve around realistic and fantasy face ups recently. I did also observe changes in the process on how I do the face up itself. As compared to the past year, I can see myself taking and needing more layers that I am used to and is finding more and more materials that I need to either upgrade or as a new tool to be added in my face up work. For example, I have changed from just using watercolor tubes to airbrush acrylics to get the effect I desire to entirely using both but for different purposes. Acrylics for brows and really fine lines while watercolor is used to do the skin textures. Now, I’m looking to change sealants from MSC to more health safe sealants as well.
Volviendo a los maquillajes, ¿ha cambiado tu estilo o evolucionado con los años?
Desde el principio, mi meta era alcanzar un estilo hiper-realista, y creo que sigue siendo mi objetivo. Me gustan las artes macabras y oscuras, pero estoy viendo que de a poco mi arte gira en torno a maquillajes fantásticos o realistas. También he observado cambios en el proceso de cómo hago el maquillaje en sí mismo. Comparado al año pasado, puedo verse a mí misma usando más y más capas, y encontrando más materiales que necesito para agregar en mi trabajo. Por ejemplo, he cambiado de usar tubos de acuarela a acrílicos de aerógrafo para obtener el efecto que deseo usando ambos para distíntos propósitos. Los acrílicos para las cejas y lineas finas, y las acuarelas para las texturas. Ahora, estoy buscando cambiar de selladores como MSC a algo más seguro.


Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
Back in 2019 I thought it’s gonna be the end of my artist journey, I suddenly realized I can’t make art anymore after struggling mentally and deeply spiraling into the void. But when I came across dolls again years after I first saw one, I was turned back into a child that loved art like it was my first time holding a crayon. This hobby greatly helped me in tough times. I gained friends, I got the spark back with art and saw myself growing in it. I can also see people love the things I made which warms my heart like never before. The support, the happiness. I am thankful and I will never be tired to say that I am. Thank you so much for this opportunity to say the thoughts that I have been keeping. I am also thankful to the readers who are still reading up to this point XD. Yes, I do tend to overshare. It's embarrassing. I hope everyone is safe, have a great day ahead!
Finalmente, ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
En 2019 pensé que iba a ser el fin de mi carrera como artista. De pronto pensé que no podía hacer más arte después de luchar con la salud mental y caer en espiral. Pero cuando encontré las muñecas luego de años de haber visto la primera, me volví esa niña que adoraba el arte y fue como si estuviera sosteniendo un crayón por primera vez. Este hobby me ayudó mucho en tiempos difíciles. Y ganó amigos, volví a obtener “la chispa”, y me ví a mí misma creciendo en ello. Puedo ver otras personas que adoran las cosas que yo hago, lo que me hace sentir muy bien. El apoyo, la felicidad. Estoy agradecida por eso y nunca voy a cansarme de decirlo. Muchas gracias por esta oportunidad de expresar los pensamientos que me estado guardado. Estoy agradecida a los lectores que siguen leyendo a este punto. Sí, suelo compartir de más. Es vergonzoso. Espero que estén bien ¡y que tengan un buen día!




And this is all for today! If you want Jesseleelooleeloo, you can find her in the following places: I hope you have enjoyed this interview, her faceups are stunning!

2 comments :

  1. I agree, her faceups are stunning. I hope she can reach her goal and do those super realistic faceups that she dreams of. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are indeed!! Happy you enjoyed the interview!

      Delete