Sunday 6 November 2022

Interview with Sydia

Hello all! It's a new month, and thus is time for another interview. This time, please wellcome Debora, also known as Sydia. She is a faceup artist and seamstress from Italy, who works mostly on Dollfie Dreams and anime-styled dolls. She's also known for repainting Plapicos. As always, all photos are used with permission. Let's read!

Hello! Would you introduce yourself to our readers?
Hi everyone, and thanks to Musume for this opportunity! My name is Debora, though everywhere online I’m known as Sydia or SydiaYuki (from almost 20 years so far). I’m 35 years old and I live in northern Italy (Europe) and I’m currently a doll collector, faceup artist and seamstress for dolls, especially but not only anime dolls and PlaPico Dragons (thought I would like maybe one day try to sculpt my own BJD). I love to draw, to paint, to sew, reading comics and manga, watching movies and series (and anime) and playing JRPG videogames, basically I’m just a crafty/artsy person with geek interests which likes also beautiful dolls.
¡Hola! ¿Te introducirías a los lectores?
Hola a todos, y gracias Musume por esta oportunidad! Soy Debora, aunque online me conocen como Sydia o SydiaYuki (ya hace 20 años). Tengo 35 años y vivo en el norte de Italia, en Europa. Actualmente colecciono muñecas, soy una artista de maquillaje y coso para muñecas, no solo para anime pero para Dragones PlaPico (aunque algún día me gustaría intentar esculpir mi propia BJD). Me encanta dibujar, pintar, coser, leer cómics y mangas, mirar películas y series, animé, jugar juegos JRPG. Básicamente, soy una persona artística con intereses geek que también le gustan las muñecas.



How did you discover the doll hobby? You sketch quite a lot, do you have an artistic background?
I discovered BJDs in the long lost years of glory on Deviantart in mid 2000s when Rozen Maiden manga was published in Italy and with the firsts faceup artists starting working on them and showing their dolls in the art community (artists like Andreja for example). At the time I was in high school and was deeply into jrock artists and lolita fashion but I understood right away it was quite an expensive hobby (with difficult to obtain dolls) which I could not afford. So, I just decided to not enter the rabbit hole of BJDs and do not search for more info on them. Some years later, in late 2013, a Saturday night me and my boyfriend were having some drinks and he showed me a video of a moving Smart Doll prototype, which I identify (wrongly) to him “oh is a BJD!”. He was very interested and started doing online researches on these kind of dolls finding Dollfie Dream’s online communities and websites and bought shortly his first Dollfie Dream ; since I was HUGELY interested overall (so much I started signing up on communities too to learn as much as possible on the topic) and wanted to be helpful ( with sewing and maybe even try to paint one ) my boyfriend bought also a used DD body and a blank head just for me in spring 2014,which became my first doll and from there it has been a learning curve and an ever expanding collection including many other brands and sizes and also 3 resin BJDs so far (we consider our two collections as an expanded single doll family counting nowadays around a 30+ of dolls mostly Dollfie Dreams ).
For what I remember I always loved to draw and wanted to make of art (or sewing) my life-job when grown up, thought my family was not really encouraging that at all. So, I pursued art studies for most of my life, trying to reconcile my family pushes to “have a real job” and mine to study and pursue artistic knowledge. I went to a graphic design /conservation of cultural heritage high school, after that I decided to not invest money on university but instead took a 3-years private course in illustration, 1 year course in web design (to complete my graphic design studies) and studied also with a seamstress the basic of sewing/pattern making and such. I also took various workshops in ceramics and puppet making for stop motion (which are notions that are quite useful even for dolls, if you think of it).
¿Cómo descubriste el hobby de muñecas? Dibujas mucho, ¿tienes una educación en arte?
Descubrí las BJDs en los años de gloria perdidos de DeviantArt, a mediados de los 2000, cuando se publicó el manga de Rozen Maiden en Italia, y las primeras artistas comenzaron a trabajar en ellos, mostrando su arte a la comunidad (como Andreja, por ejemplo). En ese momento, yo estaba en la secundaria y me gustaba mucho el jrock y la ropa lolita, pero entendí muy rápido que era un hobby caro y difícil de conseguir, el cual no me podía permitir. Así que simplemente decidí no entrar en las BJDs y buscar más información sobre ellas. Años después, a finales de 2013, un Sábado a la noche, mi novio y yo estábamos tomando unas bebidas cuando me mostró un video del prototipo de las SmartDolls, el cual equivocadamente identifiqué como una BJD. Él estaba muy interesado y comenzó a buscar sobre estas muñecas, encontrando las comunidades de Dollfie Dreams, y muy pronto compró una. Dado que yo estaba MUY interesada (tanto que me había registrado en comunidades online para aprender del tema) y quería poder ayudar (cosiendo o incluso pintando una), mi novio compró un cuerpo DD usado y una cabeza limpia para mía en la primavera del 2014. Esta se convirtió en mi primer muñeca, y desde ahí he estado aprendiendo y expandiendo la colección para incluir otras marcas y tamaños, e incluso tres BJDs de resina. Consideramos dos de nuestras colecciones como una familia extendida, contando casi 30+ muñecas, mayormente Dollfie Dreams.
Por lo que recuerdo, siempre he adorado dibujar y quería que el arte o la costura fueran mi trabajo de la vida cuando creciera, aunque mi familia no me daba muchos ánimos. Así que perseguí estudios sobre el arte toda mi vida, intentando reconciliar los deseos de mi familia de “tener un trabajo real” y el mío de estudiar arte. Fui a un conservatorio de arte en la escuela secundaria, y luego decidí no invertir en una universidad, pero tomé un diploma de tres años en ilustración, otro en diseño web (para completar los estudios), y con una costurera aprendí lo básico de coser y hacer moldes. También completé cursos en cerámica y creación de muñecas para stop-motion, lo cual fue muy útil para las muñecas, si piensan en eso.



You work on a variety of dolls, but most of all on anime-styled dolls, like DD. What attracted you to them? How did you begin doing faceup/repaints?
As said in the previous question my first “BJD” has been a Dollfie Dream so I kind of had an imprinting with them and loved that kind of doll first sight. While searching for how to customize my first one I stumbled upon a Volks SD Liselotte which is as today probably the mold I prefer in ABSOLUTE as it embodies the ethereal doll-aesthetic I search in BJDs. Also I am a very eager manga reader /anime fan so the anime style is very well rooted in my aesthetic and art taste, thou I do not draw in anime style if for myself, it felt kind of natural to start collecting dolls with that precise aesthetic, even if most of my favorite DD molds are semi realistic /hybrid ones.
Since I’m a kind of crafty/artistic inclined person I entered the doll hobby diving head first in faceup without a second thought (a thing which usually I do not suggest to do to people entering the hobby). I made some researches on materials needed and I had all the materials needed already at home except sealant, a magic sponge and a gas mask, so it was very easy. My first DD was blank and I painted her myself, my boyfriend (always super supportive) bought me sealant and asked me to paint dolls for him. After that a French friend we found through the hobby saw our dolls and commissioned me to paint her some too so I started considering taking faceup commissions and opened officially my social pages shortly after. Now after 8 years and half my first doll is still with me (thou with a revamped face) and I try to get better at any job and to expand my services on others brands of dolls and even figures (I recently started customizing and repainting Nendoroids and Monster Highs too).
Trabajas en una gran variedad de muñecas, aunque la mayoría tienen estilo de animé, como las DD. ¿Qué te atrajo a ellas? ¿Cómo comenzaste con el maquillaje?
Como conté, mi primera “BJD” fue una DD, así que tuve una relación con ellas y me encantaron desde la primera vez que las vi. Mientras buscaba cómo personalizar mi primera, me encontré una Volks SD Liselotte, que es hasta hoy un molde que creo que ABSOLUTAMENTE refleja el estilo irreal de la estética de muñecas que busco en las BJDs. Además, me gusta mucho leer manga y animé, así que el estilo está muy enlazado con mi estética y arte. Aunque yo no dibujo en ese estilo, se sintió natural empezar a coleccionar esa estética, incluso cuando mis moldes DD favoritos son semi-realistas o híbridos.
Dado que soy una persona artística, entré en el hobby de cabeza y con maquillajes sin darle mucho pensamiento—una cosa que generalmente no sugiero que se haga con este hobby. Hice algunas búsquedas de materiales que necesitaría, y tenía todo listo en mi casa, excepto sellador, una esponja mágica y la máscara de gas, así que fue bastante fácil. Mi primera DD estaba blanca y la pinté yo misma. Mi novio, siempre apoyándome, me compró el sellador y me pidió que pinte las muñecas para él. Luego de eso, una amiga francés que conocimos por el hobby vio nuestras muñecas y me encargó que pintara las de ellas, así que empecé a considerar tomar comisiones de maquillaje y abrí mis páginas sociales al rato. Ahora, 8 años después, mi primera muñeca sigue conmigo, aunque con una cara mejorada, e intento mejorar con cualquier trabajo para expandir mis servicios a otras marcas e incluso figuras. Recientemente empecé a encargar y repintar Nendoroids y Monster Highs.



Do you find anime-styled features to be challenging to paint?
For me not really , I love the fact that anime features give you a broad quantity of options, near infinite, has to which style or vibe choose, expressions and such. It is almost like working on a white canvas , for some this is surely a bit challenging especially if they have problems figuring in their head, but for most of my dolls I just relax and paint away (obviously this doesn’t happen with commissions for which I prefer to prepare mockup and sketches to clear my mind but mostly to help the customer figure out what to expect ). I think the most challenging thing in anime aesthetic, for me, is the necessity of symmetry, which is much more expected than on realistic BJD. Hand painting doesn’t really help with that.
¿Te parece que el estilo animé es más difícil de pintar?
Para mí, no realmente. Adoro el hecho de que las facciones de animé te dan una variedad de opciones, casi infinitas, sobre qué estilo o vibra elegir, como expresiones y demás. Es casi como trabajar en un lienzo en blanco. Para algunos realmente es difícil, especialmente si tienen problemas entendiendo su cabezita. Pero para la mayoría de mis muñecas, yo simplemente me relajo y pinto. Obviamente, eso no pasa con los encargos, donde prefiero preparar bosquejos para limpiar la mente y ayudar al cliente a entender qué esperar. Creo que la parte más complicada de esta estética, para mí, es la necesidad de simetría, la cual se espera mucho más que en BJDs realistas. Pintar a mano realmente no ayuda con eso.


You also do more fantasy-styled faceup like in Aileendoll Plapicos (your porcelain dragon is stunning!) What drew you to them?
(Thank you!) I admit when I found out Aileen Doll was going to produce a low-cost plastic dragon BJD kits I was yes interested but not that much blown away, I knew their doll line of cute dragons and they were and still are lovely but anthro hadn’t really ever been my style (apart some exceptions like I love Cocoriang animal dolls, but I do not own any).
My boyfriend on the other hand being in the Warhammer 40k miniature hobby liked a lot the idea of a “kit to build doll” for an affordable price and bought a couple almost right away and asked me to paint them; once I put my hands on them, I started seeing a potential I didn’t expected so I bought one for me too, just to try, I did not have a precise idea so I kept it blank for a couple of years in search of the perfect cue. In the meanwhile some friends, some even not dolls’ collectors, got interested in PlaPicos and asked me to help them buy some and paint them , so I started having quite a few around (and still have ) and working on them more and more ideas starting popping out of my mind “what if I paint one a galaxy? what if I paint one like wood and modify their horns ? what if…” And then the white milk version was released: with it I had a total blast , I’m a tea and teacup lover and collector, I absolutely needed to buy one to paint like it was an old porcelain’s ceramic , love at first sight, and that’s how Porcellanoso was born.
What I like in Aileendoll PlaPico is that being anthro fantasy creatures with a cute factor already “at birth” they have a HUGE potential to be painted, even fully, with extravagant textures and themes, and modded without seeming off or “too much”. With them I have complete creativity freedom so I can completely go wild with any absurd idea I can come out, while I fear these ideas would be easily boring , or off, or considered excessive otherwise in a human looking anime or realistic doll.
¡También haces maquillajes de fantasía, como los Aileendoll Plapicos, tu dragón de porcelana es increíble! ¿Qué te llamó la atención de ellos?
Gracias! Tengo que admitir que cuando encontré que AileenDoll iba a producir muñecas de plástico de bajo precio me interesé bastante, pero no demasiado. Conocía su línea de muñecas de dragones bonitos, y me parecían lindos, pero los anthros nunca fueron mucho de mi estilo—más allá de algunas excepciones, dado que adoro Cocoriang pero no tengo ninguna.
Mi novio, aparte de estar en el hobby de miniaturas Warhammer, le encantó la idea del pack para construir una muñeca por un precio aceptable, y compró un par de inmediato, y me pidió que las pintara. Una vez que puse mis manos en ellas, comencé a ver el potencial que no esperaba. Así que compré una para mí, sólo para probar. No tenía una idea precisa, así que la dejé en blanco por años esperando la pista ideal. En ese tiempo, algunos amigos se interesaron en los PlaPicos y me pidieron que los ayudara a comprarlos y pintarlos, así que empecé a tener varios alrededor (y aún tengo!). Mientras trabajaba en ellos, más ideas comenzaron a surgir. “Y si pinto una galaxia? Y si pinto uno como madera y le cambio los cuernos?”. Y luego, sacaron la versión blanca, y me encantó. Colecciono tazas de té, así que inmediatamente necesité comprar uno y pintarlo como porcelana. Fue amor a primera vista, y así nacio Porcellanoso.
Lo que me gusta de Aileendoll Plapicos es que son criaturas de fantasía con un factor adorable ya incluido, y tienen mucho potencial para ser pintado, enteramente, con texturas y temas muy extravagantes. Las modificaciones nunca son demasiado para ellos. He tenido completa libertar, y puedo hacer cosas muy absurdas que serían consideradas aburridas o excesivas en muñecas tipo animé o humanas.



Do you have a workplace to share with us? How do you organize to do face-ups?
Sure! I work in my bedroom mostly between my desk and a small bed table (the ones which can turn to trays for in bed breakfast) which I use mostly to paint while sitting on my bed, I have back pain issues from when I was just a child so I cannot really stay sit on chairs and such for a lot and this solution, thou it sounds kind of absurd, is a fair agreement between comfort and utility, at least for me.
I organize heads I need to paint or are in a mid-point stage in a bunch of metal cookies’ boxes of various sizes and shapes, so I can store them safely away from dust while I work at the various stages, the fun fact is that while many grandmas here in Italy used to store sewing tools on that kind of boxes my boxes are just full of doll heads instead.
As start I make a brief with the customer (or with the owner of the head) about what they want to create (an existing character, an original OC already drawn out, a custom with some specs ? ) in case they do not know which head to buy to make a certain character I offer the service to help them identify the best sculpt for the job best suited for character and the possibility to draw out digitally print and cast the eyes needed ; this and following steps are personally crucial to have the best result possible and to avoid misunderstandings on my part on the customer side.
After the brief I make a small image folder on my computer with any reference material and I make a digital mockup or a sketch on paper (which one of the two mostly depends on the doll project, I mostly prefer to sketch on paper for ⅙ anime dolls which need to have eyes painted too like Azone and Obitsu because is way easier for me to work on traditional media than digital) based on the description to show and discuss with the client eventual modifications and tweaks needed, that drawings will guide me in the painting job.
The workflow is pretty straightforward and similar to the ones of any faceupper I suppose: watercolor’s pencils sketch, paint job , blush and such, details , eventual gloss /fake eyelashes and portfolio’s photos before shipping out/delivering the head, with every step discussed with work in progress photos and approved by the customer and relative sealant’s layers (thou I try to keep the layer count low to have the head protected but less risk of cracking working on very soft vinyl heads often ).
¿Tienes algún espacio de trabajo para compartir? ¿Cómo te organizas con los maquillajes?
Por supuesto! Suelo trabajar en mi dormitorio, entre mi escritorio y una mesa pequeña que puede doblarse. Mayormente pinto sentada en mi cama. Tengo dolores en la espalda desde que era chica, así que no puedo realmente sentarme derecha en sillas por demasiado tiempo, y esto es una solución. Sé que suena absurdo, pero es un buen arreglo entre confort y utilidad.
Organizo las cabezas que necesito pintar o que están en un punto intermedio en muchas cajas de distintos tamaños o formas, que me permiten almacenarlas de forma segura y lejos del polvo. Es gracioso, porque muchas abuelas en Italia solían organizar las cosas de costura en estas cajas, y las mías están llenas de cabezas de muñecas.
Al principio tomo notas de lo que el dueño de la cabeza quiere crear, ya sea un personaje, si tienen bosquejos o quizás estilos. En caso de no conocer qué cabeza comprar, ofrezco el servicio de ayudarlos a identificar posibilidades para el personaje, y la posibilidad de dibujarlo digitalmente y armar los ojos si se necesita. Este paso y los siguientes son cruciales para tener el mejor resultado posible y evitar malentendidos de mi parte.
Luego de eso, hago una carpeta de imágenes con material de referencia, y hago un busquejo en papel o digital. Depende del proyecto, pero prefiero dibujar en papel para muñecas muy chicas como Azone y Obitsu, porque es más fácil en ese tamaño trabajar en un medio normal. Todo esto es basado en las descripciones. Luego, se lo muestro al cliente y discutimos posibles modificaciones y mejoras, porque los dibujos me guían en qué pintar.
El flujo de trabajo es bastante directo y similar al de todos: marco partes con lápices de acuarela, pinto, blush, detalles, eventualmente gloss y pestañas, y fotos de portfolio antes de enviar o entregar la cabeza. Cada paso lo discuto con el cliente y muestro fotos antes de que sea aprobado, para poder colocar el sellador. Intento mantener la cantidad de capas baja, para tener la cabeza protegida pero menos propensa a que se rompa.



Are there any materials that are your favorites? Have you changed your supplies over time?
I prefer to work almost exclusively with fine art acrylics, I tried working like other artists but I don’t really like the grain (texture) the pencils leave on the surface, especially when it comes to anime styled faceup, it feels kind of dirty and blurry to me, so I stick to brush paint only except for blush and eyeshadows parts made with dust of pastels, I always try to achieve the most graphic and polished look possible, if it looks like is printed and not hand drawn, I’m satisfied.
MrSuper Clear UV cut is my sealant to go mostly and I use just a couple of paintbrushes, two Series 7 from W&N n1 and 000, plus some bigger brush for blushing purposes. One thing I did not expect at all to use when I started is the magic sponge and is incredible the sheer amount of them this hobby requires, I buy a new one every couple of months since I use a ton of them while painting, and managing my dolls!
¿Cuáles son tus materiales favoritos? ¿Los has cambiado con el tiempo?
Prefiero trabajar casi exclusivamente con acrílicos finos. Intenté trabajar como otros artistas, pero realmente no me gusta la textura y grano que dejan los lápices en la superficie, especialmente en lo que respecta al maquillaje de animé. Se siente sucio y borroso, así que me mantengo con un pincel, excepto el blush y las sombras que las hago con pasteles. Siempre intento alcanzar el look más gráfico y limpio que pueda. Si parece impreso y no pintado a mano, estoy conforme.
MrSuperClear UV Cut es mi sellador favorito, y suelo usar varios pinceles, dos Serie 7 de Windsor / Newton N1 y 000, más algunos grandes para blushing. Algo que no esperaba para nada usar es la esponja mágica. Es increíble la cantidad que require este hobby. ¡Compro una nueva cada mes, porque realmente lo uso mucho cuando estoy pintando y manipulando mis muñecas!


Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
I accept faceup and eye design commissions all year long (weather permitting), both on dolls and even Nendoroids, so if you like what I do feel free to contact me for an estimate , we can freely discuss your project and see what can be done! From time to time, I open some clothing commissions (exclusively for doll models I own) but is pretty rare and just for a customer or two since I’m very slow on sewing.
Finalmente, ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Acepto encargos de maquillaje y diseño de ojos durante todo el año, mientras que el clima lo permita. Tanto para muñecas e incluso Nendoroids. Así que si creen que les gustaría contactarme por una estimación, Podemos discutir su Proyecto y ver qué se puede hacer. Ocasionalmente, abro encargos de ropa, limitados a los modelos que tengo. Pero es muy raro y solo para pocos clientes porque soy muy lenta.


Thank you so much for doing the interview! :D
Thank everyone for reading and thanks Musume for this lovely chat, is always so fun to share with fellow collectors our passions for dolls, see you around!
¡Muchas gracias por aceptar la entrevista!
Gracias a todos por leer, y gracias Musume por esta charla. Siempre es muy divertido compartir con los coleccionistas. ¡Los veo por ahí!



This is all for today! I honestly *love* Porcellanoso, I think that dragon is amazing! If you want to find Sydia, you can do so on the following links:

No comments

Post a Comment