Monday 14 August 2023

New Horns for Dawn

Do you remember the horns I had crafted for Dawn? It turns out that they had a glaring space between the hole and the rim. Rot's original horns are extremely thick on the base, and this looked terrible. Thus, I set up to do new horns.

Phone photos again, but I'll show you the final result and the steps below.



Basically, this time I did the same as with Joy (you can see it here). I covered Dawn with a plastic bag, and did the wire base and basic modelling atop the bag. This ensured that I was perfectly covering the horns' space.



I baked it at 120 degrees because my oven is unreliable and tends to go higher, but the horns ended up perfect. As usual, I made them with polymer clay--but I must confess I was too scant with the aluminum foil because these are a bit heavier than I wanted. Perhaps because they flare so much. But in case case, Dawn stands perfectly!

After that, I spent an ungodly amount of time (almost 1.5 hours, to be honest) glueing the new flowers and leaves into the horns, while testing their fit in the dragon's head. I used superglue to glue clay-to-clay, and silicone to keep the horns in place--this way, if I ever want to take the dragon apart to repaint, I can do so.



Silly update, I know, but hopefully you'll see photos of the finalised Dawn quite soon!

6 comments :

  1. Not silly at all! I love her eyes and all the flowers as well. I am sure she will look great when she's finalized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I'm so happy you like her!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful horns! So prettily decorated with flowers and Dawn looks very happy with them.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I think this really suits her!!

      Delete
  3. Lovely horns! The flower details are amazing and Dawn looks great in them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! So happy that you like them!

      Delete