Monday 10 December 2018

Royalty ~ Sewing + Photography Adventure

I really liked how V's dress turned out, actually! And when I went to take those photos of Cookie on the train rails, I thought: I need to make Coco a huge, huge dress similar to V's and take photos of it here. Picture the hubby face-palming, after realizing he would have to go around me, double checking on Coco, my camera and myself.

Oh well, I have some green nearby and I'm gonna take advantage of it for photos! Of course, I'm kind of not worrying about people's looks, actually. I'm more worried about getting robbed. But oh well. Anyways, there is no story here at all, just some photos! And after the pretty ones, I'll share what inspired me and some WIPs I posted on Instagram!














Sewing Anecdotes

But, where did I got the idea for this? Okay, I was partially inspired on V's dress: the idea of a white satin+tulle outfit, with a touch of color. Picking a color was easy: blue was out because it was V's dress; green was not a choice since I wanted outdoor photos and it would clash too much; yellow was also scratched because it would make her look too yellowed and saturate my camera, and lilac was out... because I always end up using lila in Coco. So, I got the idea of royalty, and decided to go with red. A plus was that I -for once- already had matching thread.

For the top I used the same pattern I created for the commission I did in 2016: a miniature of the dress Daisy Ridley wore to the Star Wars red carpet. I wanted an asymmetrical skirt just because, so I made an asymmetrical skirt. Because I am a cheap person, I didn't bought more fabric to this, so I spent around 40 minutes placing the pattern and folding what I have of fabric, in order to optimize the positions and obtain the three layers I wanted.


Then, it was time to decide on the cape! I was torn between a bolero and a cape, but... I like epic dresses, I already made boleros, and I'm too partial to trains. A cape it was. Which cape? I spent another hour or so googling inspiration photos, until I remembered a cape I loved! Maxima Zorreguieta's cape, the one of the blue gown! (click the link to see it). It had such a great fall and drape, and I loved how those shoulder looked: almost like a fitted jacket: perfect!

I actually started from V's shirt pattern, and modified it. Then, I cut the outer layer of the cape, but... it wasn't looking nice. I had made it floor length, like the reference photo and it just covered the dress to much. So hubby helped me brainstorm, and I ended up cutting the cape to make it asymmetric as well. And then, updated the pattern. What do you think?




Don't get me started on the embroidering: the transparent thread was like... too much. It actually is transparent though. I couldn't see WTF I was doing. Honestly! It is way worse than sewing black thread into black fabric in a cloudy day or at night! But it was worthy. She is my queen! And the wings... well, V's dress had horns, Coco should have wings!

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the pictures, and I apologize for not having a video of this dress. I actually enjoy doing the WIP videos but it wasn't possible this time. Have a great weekend!

14 comments :

  1. I love your photos! The moss-covered tree bark in the first photo is amazing and the rails are a fun feature. And of course Cookie's outfit is marvelous. The dress is so pretty, and I love how the cape turned out. She even has matching shoes! I can tell you had fun putting this together. I'm only sorry you don't feel safe going to the park--no one should have to fear being robbed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I know, that tree is awesome and the rails are love. I need to take more pics there.
      Happy you like Coco's outfit! I purchased the shoes a long time ago, but when I was planning this outfit I knew they would be a perfect match.

      Delete
  2. I think you've done a great job on her outfit, she does look very regal and the red is just perfect!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Se ve fabulosa con ese vestido! La verdad es que yo asocio realeza ma's con el morado que con el rojo XD pero yo creo que ya es una cosa de percepciones.Para muchos el amarillo es un color enfermizo o molesto, a mí me parece alegre y veraniego.
    Me gustó mucho el detalle bordado en la capa, queda genial. Podrías probar también con una tela más pesada para la capa, así cae como las de los cuadros de reyes antiguos :D, esas caían con todo el power ajajaja, aunque claro, perderías el factor satinado de esta tela más ligera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! No era por el color la verdad, sino por el largo de la capa y el tipo de vestido.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous Musume! Love the embroidery, even though you thought you would go crazy, it was worth it. That transparent thread is the absolute pits, makes me go cross-eyed trying to sew with it, so I fully understand your dilemma.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! Ohh, so you have used that damn thread? It is totally worth it, but it is a pain to sew with it, and the needle unthreads so much!

      Delete
  5. What a stunning dress! I would have loved to see V and Coco next to each other :P
    The embroidering looks amazing. I have so much respect for your skills!
    Great job :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, thanks!! I have a pic of them together incoming, but it is with only the white part of the dresses on. You are really kind, thank you!

      Delete
  6. She looks lovely! And the red fabric looks as if it was really hard to work with. Great job. And since Christmas is not far: I hope you have a lovely time and enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little hard to work with, though. But I'm used, I have done many things with that fabric!

      Delete
  7. She is looking amazing, you are an artist making dresses like this. I do not have the patience. The embroidering looks beautiful and I can just imagine the difficulties sewing that. I have transparent thread and it is great in all kinds of way, but hard to sew with because you almost can not see it. Ugh.
    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, you are too kind!! The difficulty of the embroidery was the transparent thread, actually!
      Happy you like the photos as well!

      Delete