Sunday 5 April 2020

Interview with Paulianne

Hello everybody! It is time for a new interview, and this time I present you Paulina from Paulianne, who makes stunning faceups. She also often works with DoDollsDreams who I previously interviewed. Anyways, all photos have been used with permission, and the interview is translated to English and Spanish. I'm sure you'll find her work stunning!

Hello and thank you for doing the interview! Would you introduce yourself to our readers?
Hello! Thank you for your invitation. My name is Paulina and I’m a doll faceup artist, obviously!
I was born and raised in a small town in west Poland. Since my early childhood, I loved playing with dolls of every kind. As a child, I showed also good manual skills, which evolved into artistic ambitions in my teen-age and thanks to my supportive parents I could attend to a couple of art courses. My great teachers have let me discover the basics of drawing, painting and graphic techniques.
Right after my high school I’ve got accepted for a Set and Costume Design degree course at the University of Fine Arts in Poznań. I’ve graduated and I live here until present day. Meanwhile, I used to work in theatres and in film production as a set and costume designer. I’ve also completed a stage makeup course. However most of this time I was also working with dolls, what was always my greatest passion.
Nowadays I work as a full time freelance artist and my main occupation is ball jointed dolls custom painting.
Privately, I’m evolving as a hearth and home keeper. I enjoy simple family life with lots of music, crafting, cooking and physical activities. I love classic and medieval philosophy, theology, fine arts and everything that helps me to rise as a human and spiritual being.
¡Hola y muchas gracias por aceptar la entrevista! ¿Te introducirías a los lectores?
¡Hola! Gracias por la invitación. Mi nombre es Paylina y soy una artista de maquillaje ¡obviamente! Nací y crecí en un pequeño pueblo del oeste de Polonia. Desde que era chica adoraba jugar con muñecas de diversos tipos. Como niña, también tenía buenas habilidades para las manualidades, que evolucionaron en ambiciones artísticas en mi adolescencia, y gracias al apoyo de mis padres pude ir a clases de arte. Mis grandes profesores me dejaron descubrir las bases de dibujo, pintura y técnicas gráficas.
Luego de la secundaria fui aceptada para la carrera de Diseño de Sets y Ropa en la Universidad de Arte en Poznan. Me gradué y vivo allí desde entonces. Mientras tanto, solía trabajar en teatros y producción de películas como diseñadora. También completé un curso completo de maquillaje de escena. No obstante, la mayor parte del tiempo también trabajaba en muñecas, que eran mi gran pasión. Ahora trabajo a tiempo completo como una artista freelance, y mi ocupación principal es pintar BJDs.
Privadamente, estoy evolucionando como ama de casa. Me gusta la vida simple en familia con mucha música, manualidades, cocinar y actividades físicas. Me encanta la filosofía medieval y clásica, la teología, las artes y todo lo que me ayuda a crecer como un ser humano y espiritual.



How did you find about BJDs? Did you started painting them right away?
Yes, I’m a qualified artist. However I found about BJDs and started my collection even before my studies. In high school I used to present my artworks in online galleries like DeviantArt. There I came across the first BJD pictures I’d ever seen, and I immediately fell in love with these unique dolls. I started to dig in online forums and websites and found out more and more about this beautiful hobby. I bought my first MSD doll in 2009 and few months later the second one, that was a huge expense as for a teenager I were! Shortly after that I started to practice face-ups and modifications on my own dolls.
¿Cómo conociste a las BJDs? ¿Comenzaste a pintarlas de inmediato?
Sí, estoy calificada como artista. Pero conocí a las BJDs y comencé mi colección mucho antes de mis estudios. En mi secundaria solía presentar mi arte en galerías online como DeviantArt. Ahí encontré las primeras fotos de BJDs que había visto, e inmediatamente me enamoré de esas muñecas tan únicas. Comencé a indagar en foros online y sitios web, y encontré más sobre este hobby. Compré mi primera muñeca MSD en 2009, y unos meses después el segundo. ¡Fueron un gran gasto para una adolescente como yo! Poco después, comencé a practicar maquillajes y modificaciones en mis propias muñecas.



Your face-ups are amazing and varied! How did you started offering face-ups commissions? Do you work with commission slots?
After getting more skills I’ve decided to offer my services for local fellow collectors for a tremendous price of 5-10$, as far as I remember. I just wanted to practice and have some modest money for materials.
Over time, I observed a huge development of my skills and style. Actually, I constantly see it with every new faceup I paint and this is very satisfying. Also, seeing my clients happy and thankful for my work is what motivates me the most. I feel very fulfilled doing what I do, because for me every doll is a little anthropoidal story full of potential and possibilities for creation, the greatest power in our Universe. This is exciting!
Coming back to Earth, I offer new commission slots every two months – one slot per person and up to three doll heads for a slot. They sell out very quickly, usually within 2-3 minutes after opening. I work on new dolls for two months and then the cycle repeats. However, I’m going to modify this system a little bit, due to incoming changes in my private life.
¡Tus maquillajes son increíbles y muy variados! ¿Cómo comenzaste a ofrecer encargos? ¿Trabajas por encargo?
Luego de obtener más habilidades, decidí ofrecer mis servicios para coleccionistas locales por el increíble precio de $5-10, por lo que recuerdo. Yo sólo quería practicar y tener algún dinero modesto para materiales.
Con el tiempo, observé un gran desarrollo de mis habilidades y estilo. Actualmente, lo veo constantemente con cualquier maquillaje que pinto y es muy satisfactorio. Además, ver a mis clientes felices y agradecidos por mi trabajo es lo que más me motiva. Me siento muy realizada haciendo lo que hago, porque para mí cada muñeca es una historia llena de potencial y posibilidades para creación, el poder más grande de nuestro universo. ¡Es excitante!
Volviendo a la Tierra, ofrezco nuevas posiciones para encargos cada dos meses -uno por persona, y hasta tres cabezas por persona. Se venden muy rápido, usualmente 2-3 minutos luego de abrir. Trabajo en las muñecas por dos meses, luego el ciclo se repito. No obstante, voy a modificar el sistema un poco, debido a cambios en mi vida privada.



You also work a lot with DoDollsDreams, and you are both from Poland. Can you share how this partnership started?
Yes, I paint default and exclusive limited faceups for DoDollsDream’s dolls. Few years ago Gosia, the company owner, ordered a faceup from me for a doll from her private collection and she was really happy with the result. Right after that she asked me if I would like to paint the doll she was working on – Margaret - and of course, I said yes. I loved the sculpt very much and was very excited to be the one who paints this doll for the first time ever! Since then, we work together on her dolls’ faceups. She is doing the creative work designing each look and I’m the one who lets her ideas exist in real. So, when you order one of DoDollsDream’s beauties you have a chance to own a doll painted by me.
También trabajas con DoDollsDreams, ya que ambas son de Polonia. ¿Podrías contarnos cómo comenzó esta sociedad?
Sí, pinto los maquillajes por defecto exclusivos para las muñecas de DoDollsDreams. Algunos años atrás, Gosia, la dueña de la compañía, me encargó un maquillaje para su colección privada y quedó muy contenta con el resultado. Inmediatamente me preguntó si me gustaría pintar la muñeca para la que estaba trabajando -Margaret- y por supuesto dije que sí. Me encantaba el molde y estaba muy entusiasmada de pintar esta muñeca por primera vez. Desde entonces, hemos trabajado juntas en los maquillajes de sus muñecas. Ella hace el trabajo creativo de diseñar cada look, y yo soy la que trae esas ideas al mundo real. Así que cuando compras una muñeca de DoDollsDreams, tienes la oportunidad de tener una cabecita pintada por mí.



Do you have a workplace to share with us? How do you organize to do face-ups?
My workspace has evolved over time and although I’ve got much closer to what I would like it to look like, I’m still waiting to have my perfect workshop. This is my dream I humbly hope to be able to fulfill in few years from now. Nevertheless, I have much more space than years ago and it’s pretty comfortable, so I love my little microcosmos anyway.
I think I’ve managed to work out a pretty nice organization. I work in batches on a weekly basis. Each week I prepare a couple of new doll heads and I work on the faceups alternately. I start my work at the morning and finish in the late afternoon, sometimes I take overtime and work in the evening as well. First day I do the cleaning, preparations and apply basic face blushing, then I add colors and textures, after that I’m working on fine details and take the progress pictures to consult with the owners. At the end of the week I finish all the faceups, apply the eyelashes and take photos. Of course sometimes I work faster, other days it’s getting slower, it depends on many circumstances, but I try to keep this routine and it works fine for me.
¿Tienes algún espacio de trabajo para compartir con nosotros? ¿Cómo te organizas para completar los maquillajes?
Mi espacio de trabajo ha evolucionado con el tiempo y aunque estoy mucho más cerca de lo que me gustaría lograr, aún estoy esperando por el espacio de trabajo perfecto. Este es mi sueño, y humildemente espero lograrlo en los años que vienen. No obstante, tengo mucho más espacio que antes y es bastante cómodo, así que adoro mi pequeño microcosmos de todas formas.
Creo que me las he ingeniado para tener una organización bastante buena. Trabajo por tandas de forma semanal. Cada semana preparo un par de cabezas y trabajo en los maquillajes de forma alternada. Empiezo mi trabajo en la mañana y termino tarde en la tarde, incluso algunos días también trabajo por las noches. Primero las limpio, luego hago preparaciones y aplico el rubor básico, luego agrego colores y texturas, luego trabajo en detalles finos y muestro el progreso a los clientes mediante fotos. Al final de la semana termino todos los maquillajes, aplico pestañas y saco fotos. Por supuesto, a veces trabajo más rápido y otros días más lento, pero depende de varias circunstancias, aunque intento atenerme a la rutina que funciona para mí.



And what about your own personal doll collection? Do you have a favorite size or brand?
I have a personal collection and it’s a constant work in progress so far. Ironically, some of my own dolls are still waiting for proper faceups! I’m a happy owner of 8 Volks SD girls – Masha, Yugiri, Liz, Carol, Mika, Nana, School C and DWC 01. They all have their names and briefly sketched personalities, but there is still so much to discover about them. They are all little maidens living in the past reality. I dress them in lacy antique dresses and accessories, they wear mostly natural, long, curly wigs. They don’t have their permanent styles, I like to experiment and dress them variously.
¿Qué nos cuentas de tu colección personal? ¿Tienes un tamaño o marca favorita?
Tengo una colección personal que es un constante trabajo en progreso. Irónicamente, ¡algunas de mis muñecas aún esperan por un maquillaje adecuado! Soy la feliz dueña de 8 Volks SD – Masha, Yugiri, Liz, Carol, Mika, Nana, School C y DWC 01. Todas tienen sus nombres y personalidades bosquejadas, pero aún tengo mucho por descubrir de ellas. Son pequeñas doncellas viviendo en una realidad pasada. Las visto en vestidos antiguos de encaje y accesorios, mayormente tienen pelucas naturales, largas y ondeadas. No tienen estilos permanentes, porque me gusta experimentar y vestirlas de forma variada.



Finally, is there anything more you’ll like to share with us?
Yes, I would like to make a little announcement for people interested in my services. As I’m actually pregnant with my first child, I’m going to introduce some changes in my commission system. It’s really hard to predict how much time and energy I will have during my last months of pregnancy and how long break I would need after the childbirth. So far I was feeling really well and I worked as usual, but I would need to adjust my work system to my future possibilities, so that nobody would wait too long for their order. If you’re interested in commissioning me, please keep an eye on my social media (Instagram is the best source) to learn about new ordering system and sign up for a waiting list I’m going to start around May.
Finalmente ¿hay algo más que te gustaría compartir con nosotros?
Sí, me gustaría hacer un pequeño anuncio para la gente interesada en mis servicios. Como estoy embarazada con mi primer hijo, voy a introducir algunos cambios en mi sistema de encargos. Es realmente difícil predecir cuánto tiempo y energía voy a tener durante los últimos meses, y qué descanso voy a necesitar luego del parto. Por ahora me siento bien y he trabajado como siempre, pero voy a necesitar ajustar mi sistema a las posibilidades futuras, para que nadie espere demasiado para sus pedidos. Si están interesados en encargarme maquillajes, por favor manténganse al tanto en mis redes sociales (Instagram es lo mejor), para aprender sobre el nuevo sistema de encargo y anotarse en la lista de espera que comenzaré cerca de Mayo.


Thank you so much for doing the interview! :D
Thank you very much for your invitation and thanks to the readers for your interest, I hope you enjoyed reading!
¡Muchas gracias por hacer la entrevista! :D
Muchas gracias por la invitación, y gracias a los lectores por el interés. ¡Espero que hayan disfrutado leyendo!




And this is all for today! If you want, you can find Paulianne Dolls in the following links. As always, feel free to share the link to the interview, but do not repost it. Contact me if you want to translate it to yet another language:

8 comments :

  1. I greatly admire Paulina's exacting brushwork on eyebrows and eyelashes. One can almost count every hair. Did she mention what kind of materials she uses? I'd be interested to know if she uses artist brushes or an airbrush for her detail work. I wish I could achieve such fine lines in my own work. Thanks Musume for another inspiring interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, honestly. She only said she uses "high end materials", but didn't mention any brand.
      I think she paints by hand, no airbrush.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work, I particularly love the Volks Nana at the end, she's always been my favourite Volks sculpt and this faceup is just perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a great interview and she is a new artist for me! Looking at her work, I am amazed with the details and how she can make those lashes and eyebrows looks so soft, but detailed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it! She puts a lot of details in her faceups, I know!

      Delete
  4. She is very talented, amazing work. Thank you for doing the interview! Let's hope she finds the time to continue after giving birth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed she is! I'm happy you liked the interview :D

      Delete