Sunday 20 December 2020

Balance of 2020

Hello everybody! It is that time of the year again, where we check on what we proposed to do, and then what we actually achieved. So this time, Merry is kind of overwhelmed by her food choices... cheese or pastry? It is a very difficult choice for her.
Nevermind, here are some pics, and then my balance of 2020's goals! I hope I fared better than Merry.


The below section has goals and my take at the end of the year. The goals are written in bold, my discussion is below in  normal font. I hope this is clearer!




1. First of all, I mentioned on my 2019 goals that I wanted to give back to people that helped me to move my cat with us. I wish I could send something to everybody that donated or supported me, but I can't. I'm planning to give some gifts to the people that were key and that went even beyond to help me. I have started budgeting and taking everything into account, so I hope I can do tons of content about that (it is all going to be BJD-related, and custom/handmade) and start shipping around this year. 

I did it!!! I painted 10 dragons, one of which was for a giveaway with Aileendoll Europe and TalesFromTheShrike, 1 dragon for me (Eiar!) and 8 dragons to gift! With all of the pandemic, some of them took literally months to arrive to their destination, but all the owners where very happy about them, and that is the best feeling for me, honestly!

Here are the dragons:



2. I haven't sewn much on 2019, except for Calina's dress at the beginning of the year, and then the 50's dress that I made for Venezia in November for her bday. I want to go back to sewing, and make another Disney-themed 50's dress. I don't have that much space anymore for keeping everything, so it is probably going to be a sew-photoshoot-sell thing. I can do that here because customs and the postal service work adequately! Finally!

I did sew for Venezia! I didn't do many period outfits or dresses, but more casual stuff. But I sew! I have the dresses set up for sale on Etsy, but due to the pandemic and the postal services imploding, I wasn't able to sell them D:



3. Get back to read friend's blogs and commenting. I had some very stressful times in 2019 and one of the things that ended up chopped was that. It is rude to people that read me, and I want to share their hobby adventures as well!

I would like to say that I tried to comment as much as I could, but I failed misserably. I have been very, very overworked for most of the year. It has been stressing and it left me as a melted mushroom after work hours. I'll try my best next year.

4. Keep up with the doll photography videos! I have an idea already, but those videos take a lot of time to make. I want to show basic stuff and do some challenges to invite you all to chime in. I hope I can do it! 

Sadly, it didn't happen. But, in my defense, I need to state that I started doing the photo challenge, where many of the post shared a before an after, and also camera settings, and I discussed briefly the photoshoot. I know it wasn't the same. I'll refer to the stress mentioned in (3).


5. Related to the above: improve my photography! I told you that @the.kittyears gifted me a manual vintage Minolta lens, and I feel like in a lab, measuring and counting everything. But I am learning a lot with it, and I really want to improve! 

Ohhh... I do think I improved a lot with my photography! I still want to make the leap into full frame Sony mirrorless, but it'll do for now. I think that I'm far more familiar with my camera settings, I put much more thought into each photo and my editing skills have been ranking up! Look at this Merry's closeups!





6. I'd like to upload more patterns into my Etsy Momo's Patterns. I uploaded some for the tinies and some for the Aileendoll Plapicos, but I am open to suggestions! 

I uploaded some... but it turns out that I don't have an scanner anymore. And my apartment is small so I can't have one. And then pademic and I couldn't even go into the store to scan the dang patterns!! Agh!!!



7. Melbourne hosts the BJD Emporium every year. If there is one in 2020, I'd like to attend and maybe have a table. Because you know... the hobby funds the hobby :D

Not happening because of... you know. It was a virtual event, but it wasn't the same, sadly. I do hope that it is back in 2021!






And this was all! I know it is not the best post or balance, but I think I accomplished mostly everything. I am very grateful about it, honestly. And new doll, yay! Anyways, how did your goals fared?

10 comments :

  1. Your photography has come so far in such a little time, it's really inspiring! That's something I want to work on in the next year, too *_*
    Don't feel bad about not being able to keep up with everyone, though. That's something I had to let go of in 2020 as well, and I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to connect the way I wanted to, but it has been so hard to find time for anything now. Give yourself some grace, you did well in this crazy year. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! This is very kind of you.
      I just love ph otography so much, and I hope that all the tutorials I have planned for next year will be helpful. I know, connecting has been very, very hard D:

      Delete
  2. I really like your way to make a post about what your goals were and what did you achieve. I find you did still very much even tough you say you didn't. I'm really happy to see your photos, they've improved a lot and I believe you'll continue having more. I wish I'd have your persistence in learning photography. I must say the same as Lomilmalinde, don't feel bad if you can't keep up. There are just so many different social media and blogs to keep up. I'm sad I didn't post more into my blog on 2020, but I'll try to post more next year. It would be great if there would be one post a month. I've not set any official goals for myself, but posting more in blog would be great. I wish you Merry Christmas and Happy 2021, may it be a lot better than this past year. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, looking back I realised I accomplished many things, but I still find them... not enough, if that makes sense? I would love to read more in your blog, I loved your stories!

      Delete
  3. Hi Musume. It's nice to read your goals for 2020 and your achievements. I've also been really bad at keeping up with my reading list, but I've also been really busy with real life stuff. Your photos look amazing and, to me, I don't think how they can get any better. I have no idea about photography, I just wing it. I'm sure I could learn a thing or two if I watched some tutorials.

    The dragons are very cute, I'm sure that everyone that received one loves it. Good thing that you managed to sew for your dolls. That's another thing I can't do and that I hope to fix in 2021.

    I'm glad to see that, overall, 2020 has been a productive year for you. Hope you get to achieve all your goals in 2021. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! I'm trying my best with photography, I really love it!
      I am going to add a lot of doll-related photography tutorials next year, so I am hoping that will help!

      Thankfully, every dragon arrived safe to their new homes, which was a highlight! Hope you can achieve everything you want next year!

      Delete
  4. Well, you did a pretty good job. :)
    I didn't have a list so I don't have to sum up anything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Well, that's a very good option to avoid stressing over this! :D

      Delete
  5. Looking back like this is a good thing to do, you learn a lot and you can even see the progress you have made. Your photography has been very good in my eyes, but it has gotten even better. You have given so much by sharing the things you have tried and learned, so that we could take part too. Your interviews with people in this hobby broaden our views and contacts when it comes to places to visit, shop at or just look for inspiration. The dragons are the cutest project you had and I have enjoyed your posts. And when it comes to posting comments, well...I am not so good at that either. When you are busy, it is one of those things that just gets affected. So, I think you did very well this year, you should be proud! I wish you the best for 2021. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, I am so grateful for what you said. I am very happy that my photography posts have helped you, and that you find my interviews interesting!
      I wish you the best as well, stay safe and healthy!

      Delete